The problem with Iglesias

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The problem with Iglesias

It sure as heck ain't anything he's doing.

It's what he's not doing--playing.  He of course loves being with the big club and no doubt will remember last night for a long time, but he needs to be playing every day.  And I don't see how that's possible with Lowrie ahead of him. 

This does not mean I don't like watching him play because I do. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: The problem with Iglesias

In Response to The problem with Iglesias:
    [QUOTE]It sure as heck ain't anything he's doing. It's what he's not doing--playing.  He of course loves being with the big club and no doubt will remember last night for a long time, but he needs to be playing every day.  And I don't see how that's possible with Lowrie ahead of him. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Max- He's just getting a little cup o coffee because of the Scutaro injury.  This will help him just get acclimated.  I'm positive they don't plan to keep him up just to ride pine and be a pinch runner/defensive replacement.  I don't think a week or two max in the show is going to stunt his growth.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

With the way Dusty's been struggling of late, they may be able to give Iggy a start and move Lowrie to 2nd.  As long as this is not a long DL stint for Scutaro, a brief taste of the pros may benefit him more than hold back his progress. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

spaceman and losmedisasrojas, both good points.  I would love to see Iglesias have a nice big cup of coffee while he's up here.  Tonight Toronto with maybe 15,000 fans, but Fri-Sunday he's see at least 50,000. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

i hear what you're saying max but they need him here with scut on the DL.  a small sample of playing at fenway and being in the bigs will further motivate him to get where he wants to go. look, listen and learn will go a long way in getting there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I have no doubt that Iglesias will be the SS of the future. By all accounts, he's a wizard with the glove. Just like you don't want a great hitter to be a butcher in the field, you don't want a great fielder to be a butcher at the plate.

Because of the advantage of having a great glove at SS, he doesn't need to be an All-Star bat, but he does need to have a certain level of ability with the bat. So we'll see how Iglesias develops.

I think this will be a good experience. He can spend a week or two with the big league club, see how they go about their business and get some late-inning defensive work and maybe a few plate appearances too.

Then he can go back down, play regularly again and work on his hitting and come back up in September. There is absolutely no reason to rush him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

There's also a chance that he could be added to a postseason roster if either Scutaro or Lowrie's health were in question.  He could play the Pokey Reese role as a 9th inning defensive replacement and double as a pinchrunner. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Because of service-time issues, I think Jose Iglesias will be back down at Pawtucket playing everyday for a substantial period this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

relax guys.  Jose is up for as long as scutaro is on the dl.  Tito has already told him that he will be on the bench pretty much for the most part.

what is encouraging is the bonding that was made during the past two spring training's.  the veterans's love him, hence scutaro hiding his glove near the tv camera his first day up, and then getting mobbed at home plate by half the team.

i'm not concerned with iggy sitting on the bench.  he will get to talk with varitek, and the coaches...and learn the game from a MLB perspective and not from a Milb perspective.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: The problem with Iglesias:
    [QUOTE]Because of service-time issues, I think Jose Iglesias will be back down at Pawtucket playing everyday for a substantial period this year.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]That and the fact that he wasn't hitting AAA pitching yet are good reasons all right.

In fact I think if the RS find that the Scutaro injury is going to cause a prolonged (multi-month) stay on the DL the RS will look to pick-up a ham and egger middle infield utility guy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcoIslandFla. Show MarcoIslandFla's posts

I predict that Inglesias will stay for about one more week.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

If Scutaro is going to be out for an extended time,I thiink Iglesias will stay with the club until Yamaico Navarro is off the DL.Once Navarro is ready to come up,Iglesias will probably be sent down so he'll get more playing time to gain experience.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]If Scutaro is going to be out for an extended time,I thiink Iglesias will stay with the club until Yamaico Navarro is off the DL.Once Navarro is ready to come up,Iglesias will probably be sent down so he'll get more playing time to gain experience.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Thank You!

We finally reach the real reason for Iggy's call up.  He is the only person on the 40 man roster who can play 2B, SS, and 3B who isn't injured.  This is nothing more than a short stint providing much needed depth at the MLB level, and wouldn't be happening if Navarro or Scutaro weren't injured.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

I've got no problem with Inglesias. The kid is a better glove man than either JL or MS plus he has more defensive range than both these guys. Right away he helps the club defensively by being in there. Don't slowjerk this kid by not starting him, pinch running him, waiting for a big run differential before you let him get in the game. You've got a defensive game changer here. Start him now. Your pitching staff will love you. Forget the bat for now, let's watch him play. Rate the bat after a couple of weeks.                                                                             Baseball's a catch and throw game. Everything else is specialization.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

k

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

k

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

k

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]With the way Dusty's been struggling of late, they may be able to give Iggy a start and move Lowrie to 2nd.  As long as this is not a long DL stint for Scutaro, a brief taste of the pros may benefit him more than hold back his progress. 
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]

I had suggested that earlier, Los, but I was informed that Pedey took off a night just recently and prob wont sit again for a while..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The problem with Iglesias : That and the fact that he wasn't hitting AAA pitching yet are good reasons all right. In fact I think if the RS find that the Scutaro injury is going to cause a prolonged (multi-month) stay on the DL the RS will look to pick-up a ham and egger middle infield utility guy.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I read Navarro will be fine by this weekend so Iggy can get his AB's in AAA...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I agree that they send Iglesias back down soon but it would be pretty cool for him to at least see a Yankees series to get an idea of what it's like. He would go back down more motivated than ever.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Did anyone see him at bat tonight?  He swung at every pitch.  I'm not sure any one of them was actually a strike.  He needs more seasoning.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

Navarro's a really good fit for the team.  The tem needs a utility guy like him on the club.  Once Scutaro is healthy, it'd be ideal if the team got rid of McDonald.  Darnell just doesn't add very much to the team; he's somewhat fast but doesn't run the bases well, and he's a decent hitter but the Sox already have Cameron/Drew (whoever doesn't start) and even Scutaro for that purpose. 

Sections
Shortcuts