WHERE THE BALL IS PITCHED. EVEN ON THE THIRD STRIKE, HE
    SWUNG AT A PITCH THAT BOUNCED TO THE PLATE. IT WAS
    AWFUL JUDGMENT ON HIS PART, HE WAS JUST LUCKY THAT THE
    CATCHER FLUBBED IT. BY THE WAY, CAN WE TRADE VARITEK
    FOR A BAG OF BALLS. TO FAIL TO GET A RUNNER ON A PITCHOUT
    IN THAT SITUATION IS INEXCUSABLE....HE IS AWFUL AND I
    HAVE NO IDEA WHY HE IS STILL ON THIS SQUAD, BUT FOR
    NOSTALGIA SAKE AND THE " OLD BOY NETWORK" THAT
    PERPETUATES THIS TRAVESTY. QUIT ALREADY, TEK !!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: The problem with Iglesias

If DMac went to Stanford, we'd have 20 softy threads on the subject by now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

No way. DMAC isn't a good ole boy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If he went to Stanford, he would have been.

Remember, softy wrote the dictionary.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

But Softy doesn't bash players of different color or race. If he did, he could never fall back on his bigot accusations.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

In Response to The problem with Iglesias:
    [QUOTE]It sure as heck ain't anything he's doing. It's what he's not doing--playing.  He of course loves being with the big club and no doubt will remember last night for a long time, but he needs to be playing every day.  And I don't see how that's possible with Lowrie ahead of him.  This does not mean I don't like watching him play because I do. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Iglesias will have his day in the spotlight.  Lowrie playing well creates an interesting but good problem to have.  I would personally consider Lowrie as our RF if he could make the transition.  We know Drew is inconsistent and still don't know whether Kalish or any of the other youngsters will be ready to step in next season.

Right now we need more consistent hitting, a new catcher and a spark.  Iglesias is the spark the rest is up to Theo and Tito to reslove. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Iggy def needs another year in AAA. You could see he was trying too hard with his AB last night..Hey, but the kid still got on 1st with a K..Ill take it.
    Farmfan; I think either Reddick, Kalish, Lin, Alex Hassan or even Hazelbaker would prob be better than Lowrie in the OF IMHO, and their all 23 or over except Lin who will be 23 in sept...theyre all on the Sox door step waiting for a chance..And all are doing well I might add.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We tend to go overboard whenever a prospect comes up and does something right. Baseball is a tough game. It takes time to master all the skills. We saw that with Kalish and Nava. Now it is Iglesias. He may turn out to be very good but he is not ready at this time. He was hitting .250 at Pawtucket , and had five errors in twenty four games. Send him back down and give him time to develop properly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Iggy's defense,the AB last night was his first ever in the Bigs.I'm sure was was excited and probably a little over anxious.Nobody wants to walk or strike out in their 1st MLB at bat.He was trying to make contact and prove he belonged there last night.
         Some time in the minors will hopefully make him a more patient and selective batter.Even at Pawtucket this season he only had 2 walks in 87 at bats.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

why can't Lowrie just DH next year and be a util guy when/if necessary? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

In Response to Re: The problem with Iglesias:
    [QUOTE]why can't Lowrie just DH next year and be a util guy when/if necessary? 
    Posted by CTJake14[/QUOTE]
    Because Lowrie isn't a good enough hitter to be an everyday DH?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tonight he's starting and batting 9th--and playing CF.  Theo dumped Ellsbury because softlaw convinced him he's worthless. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyBoston4. Show DeweyBoston4's posts

Red Sox depth chart has Lowrie available for every infield position.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=bos

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Where will Jose Iglesias land among the hierarchy of these Cuban shortstops: Alexei Ramirez, Yunel Escobar and Yuniesky Betancourt?

The current reviews of Jose Iglesias remind me of columnist Dave Cameron's 2005 assessment of Yuniesky Betancourt:

On June 1st, Mike Morse took over as the Mariners starting shortstop. He held the position down for most of the next two months before his bat cooled off and the team turned to Yuniesky Betancourt, the guy with a questionable stick and a flashy glove. The defensive upgrade of going from Morse to Betancourt, overnight, would be akin to taking your '77 Fiat down to the local dealer and trading it in for a Maserati. Having Morse as your starting shortstop one day and Betancourt the next is the baseball equivalent of a before and after infomercial for the Range-O-Matic 2005.

What makes Betancourt so good in the field? The easy answers would be something like "range, arm strength, footwork, and agility", and they'd all be accurate. YuBet makes plays on balls he has no right even touching. On more than one occassion, he's gotten to a ball where I've commented "man, nice job keeping that on the infield", and then the next thing I know, he's nailing the guy at first base.

Here's the thing, though. Betancourt makes the spectacular plays, the ones that you'll see on highlight shows for years to come, but that's not what makes him great. He routinely makes the play that doesn't look so spectacular but that nobody else alive makes. That ball four steps in the hole? Not only does he cut it off, but he gets there in time to square his body and make the throw without leaping in the air. And he nails the guy every single time.

Yuniesky Betancourt is the Rolls Royce of defensive shortstops. You've seen the rest; now watch the best.

http://www.tangotiger.net/scouting/scout2005_winners.html

Betancourt has never posted a positive season UZR at shortstop and his a career UZR/150 of -8.3 at the position. Iglesias almost assuredly will outperform Betancourt, but I share these numbers just to remind folks that there are no guarantees.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=8585&position=SS

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good points Hill, but many experts have raved at the defense of Iglesias.

I admit I haven't seen enough of him to judge on my own.

Sections
Shortcuts