The real story of Theo Epstien

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: The real story of Theo Epstien

In Response to Re: The real story of Theo Epstien:
    [QUOTE]Are they collecting his paychecks? Your mind is sitting in a pin cushion...a product of UR voo-doo doll.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Funny!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's absolutely amazing what the Cardinals were able to do b/t their mid-season moves by the GM and the "magic" that LaRussa and Duncan have done, once again.  It will be incredible if they could beat The Rangers; if they pull it off the Cardinals will have to be recogized as one of the best sports franchises in history.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

"Read Lester's comments on pitcher's conditioning. Whomever you decide to believe will be contingent on your agenda in the forum." -UticaClub

Okay, I'll bite.

First, can you clarify.

I read "Lester's comments on pitcher's conditioning"...

Now who are the options regarding "whomever" I decide to believe?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]It's absolutely amazing what the Cardinals were able to do b/t their mid-season moves by the GM and the "magic" that LaRussa and Duncan have done, once again.  It will be incredible if they could beat The Rangers; if they pull it off the Cardinals will have to be recogized as one of the best sports franchises in history.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Andrew...they ALREADY ARE recognized as one of the best! lololol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They show how much good management means to a team: good selective FA signings, always good pitching, and great on field management and coaching.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]It's absolutely amazing what the Cardinals were able to do b/t their mid-season moves by the GM and the "magic" that LaRussa and Duncan have done, once again.  It will be incredible if they could beat The Rangers; if they pull it off the Cardinals will have to be recogized as one of the best sports franchises in history.

Larusso is a solid manager, I would love to see him in Boston.  Anything is possible with the Cards, but I think splitting the first two games was important for Texas and just feel it's their season.  The win late in the game last night giving them a split was huge.  It's never easy when an AL team has to bench their DH, It certainly hurts us when Papi is placed in the same position.  I was happy to see Papi state last night he wants to stay in Boston. Hopefully we can work out a deal because I want him part of next years team that should have something to prove.

Minus Lackey of course!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

[QUOTE]Cardinals are in WS and may win because of moves their GM made from August on (furcal,dotel,scrabble,Rhodes,Lynn,) while sox folded because Theo made no moves to help down the stretch. Theo was good but he is no genius. Sox will be fine without him. Boyer and Byrnes haven't lit it up since they left either. It just shows you that a lot of people can be good GMs if they have the resources.
    Posted by splendidsplinterteddyballgame[/QUOTE]

"It just shows you that a lot of people could be good GMs if they have the resources"

AMEN!!

Is there any doubt TODAY that Theo Epstein was VASTLY overrated?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I want Papi too, but there are a number of small related issues that when added all together lessen my desire somewhat:

1) Youk's health and the possibility of getting more offense out of him by keeping him rested by playing DH 60-100 games.

2) Rotating other players into the DH slot to rest them without a "day off".

3) Maximizing Lava's chance to get a real chance at playing and not riding the bench or playing in AAA to get the needed work.

4) Playing in NL parks during the season and possibly in the WS. I'd hate to have to bench a $10M man for 4 of 7 games when we need him most.

5) Papi's not hustling down the line, showboating, and complaining about management decisions are not helpful.

6) Possible arb offer and comp picks if he refuses.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Good points about Ortiz

RE:  TX and the DH.  They aren't affected by it as much.  Who did they lose?  Murphy or Torrelba or Moreland?  Not nearly as bad as Ortiz.  And you know why?  Because Michael Young and Napoli can play positions; which is why keeping VMart would have been good.  I do think we'll see Hamilton DH'ing the next 3 games.  That means Gentry's bat has to in their over Moreland's and Torrelba's but I think it's more important to protect Hamilton.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

I recall Law asking what would happen to the Red Sox if Pedroia or Youk spent significant time on the DL.

Isn't that what happened over the last two seasons?

Theo Epstein made blunder after blunder and Theo Epstein apologists like Moonslav foolishly assumed Pedroia and Youk, neither of whom are capable of being power hitters all season would pick up the slack.

They can't.

Yet another Theo blunder. Look at how young and balanced the Texas Rangers are on both sides.  Why couldn't the Red Sox have a GM who built a team like that if the legendary 1-2 punch of Manny/Ortiz had to go a year before it could have led the Sox to the 2008 WS title?

Because the Red Sox didn't have a legit GM.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Because Big Ben refused to hire John Daniels.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

[QUOTE]Because Big Ben refused to hire John Daniels.

Really?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

I've said it a Million times... Tell Manny, At the beginning of 2008, that they were not going to pick up his options after the season and the Sox win back to back World Series Rings. not to mention skipping all the drama of that season !!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

[QUOTE]the bottom line is none of theo's free agent signings worked out.  He traded for schilling and gave him a new contract to boot.  The Josh Beckett/Mike Lowell deal was done when theo was walking around in his ape suit. Glad to see theo go.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Looky here! What is this?

The truth.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The real story of Theo Epstien : "It just shows you that a lot of people could be good GMs if they have the resources" AMEN!! Is there any doubt TODAY that Theo Epstein was VASTLY overrated?
    Posted by OurMan[/QUOTE]

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The real story of Theo Epstien : ROTFLMFAO....you sure? Keith Foulke Bill Mueller Alan Embree Mike Timlin Kevin Millar DAVID ORTIZ?
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

Mike Timlin?

Can I stop laughing now?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The real story of Theo Epstien : My bad...Timlin wasn't a good signing...he was awful for the Red Sox and had no part in the two titles...you are right....funny though....you didn't say anything about Ortiz or Foulke and I thought that NONE of Theo's free agent moves ever worked out...weird 
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

I was too busy contemplating John Lackey, Carl Crawford, Eric Gagne, Julio Lugo, Matt Clement, Wade Miller, Brad Penny, John Smoltz, Edgar Renteria, Wily Mo Pena, Bill Hall, Boof Bonser, Ramiro Mendoza, Ramon Ramirez, no Mark Teixera, no Roy Halladay, no Cliff Lee and the botched moves to dump Johnny Damon, Derek Lowe, VMart...

are you awake?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

[QUOTE]I've said it a Million times... Tell Manny, At the beginning of 2008, that they were not going to pick up his options after the season and the Sox win back to back World Series Rings. not to mention skipping all the drama of that season !!
    Posted by ALaGatorAL[/QUOTE]

Theo really blew the Manny thing.

Manny had FINALLY come to spring training on time, wasn't complaining and was looking forward to another World Series. Manny had finally made peace with the fans and was a fan favorite.

Epstein sat Manny down in Vero Beach and talked to him like a child, threw him out of the office and said he wasn't going to talk about ANY CONTRACT deals before the end of the season.

How else was the 2008 season going to go?

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.