The Red Sox All-Bust Team of the 2000's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

The Red Sox All-Bust Team of the 2000's

I based this off of more than just the money.  I also based this off of deadline deals that never panned out or even just disappointments in general.

Thoughts?

C:  Javy Lopez
    1B:  Tony Clark
    2B:  Mike Lansing
    SS:  Edgar Renteria/Julio Lugo
    3B:  Ed Sprague
    LF:  Wily Mo Pena
    CF:  Mike Cameron
    RF:  JD Drew
    DH:  Casey Kotchman (sorry, had to)

Starters:
    John Lackey (for now)
    Dice-K
    John Smoltz
    Matt Clement
    Wade Miller

Relievers:
    Scott Sauerbeck
    Brandon Donnelly (only because of injury)
    Byung-Hyun Kim
    Bobby Jenks
    Craig Hansen
    Eric Gagne (Closer)

Bench:
    Edgar Renteria/Julio Lugo
    JT Snow
    Jeremy Hermida
    Mark Kotsay
    Josh Bard (i didn't want to but had to because of his 2 stints and the need for a backup catcher)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Re: The Red Sox All-Bust Team of the 2000's

Except that B-H Kim was valuable in 2004 and almost priceless in 2003.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

You lost me at JD Drew.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Kim was a a solid acquisition at the time and was exactly what we needed for a good stretch.

I still remember my BlindHomer friends whining about giving up Shea Hilibrand, who ended up doing not enough of anything other than becoming a clubhouse punk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Some Red Sox fans waste their team working on such an OP while others would use their time and energy doing the same thing for the Yankees. Makes you wonder?

Sterling Hitchcock
    Kyle Farnsworth
    Octavio Dotel
    Roger Clemens (2007)
    Kei Igawa
    Kenny Rogers
    Kevin Brown
    Jason Giambi ( one good year)
    Jose Contreras
    Jaret Wright
    Steve Karsay
    Dave Collins
    Ray Smalley
    Hedeki Irabu
    Rondell White
    Carl Pavano
    Jat Buhner
    Jeff Weaver
    Drew Henson
    Tony Womack                     

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe---------. Show -TheBabe---------'s posts

beckett is on this list on the even numbered years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I still don't put Drew in the bust catergory...even with his lack luster final season of his contract...Ditto Lugo & Dice...We did win in 2007 with all three playing a significant role...Dice gave us 200 innings and a repsectable 4th starter all year, Drew's granny in the ALCS and Lugo's bat and defense in the WS was clutch...Cleary all under performed to expectation, to me to categorize a player a bust implies they never did anything to help the team after they were signed or aquired...

Sauerback & Gagne were both bust because they failed to deliver as expected when we aquired them to bolster our pen after each was near or at the top of the best availble arms at the deadline in 2003 and 2007

Jeff Suppan was more of a bust than any of the starters on the above list, he was awful after we aquired him from the Pirates to bolster our rotation...Smotlz & Penny were rish reward guys that didn't pan out so I'm ok with them being bust....The jury's still out on Lackey, hardly a bust, but certainly is underperfroming to expectations....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

I think that every franchise has a long list of busts over the last decade. Even Theo said that he only aims at being 60% successful in his acquisitions. Yet our bashers love to pick apart our FO and Theo instead of tipping your hat to them for the good moves that they have made. With "fans" like this, who needs enemies.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe---------. Show -TheBabe---------'s posts

In Response to Re: The Red Sox All-Bust Team of the 2000's:
    [QUOTE]Some Red Sox fans waste their team working on such an OP while others would use their time and energy doing the same thing for the Yankees. Makes you wonder? Sterling Hitchcock Kyle Farnsworth Octavio Dotel Roger Clemens (2007) Kei Igawa Kenny Rogers Kevin Brown Jason Giambi ( one good year) Jose Contreras Jaret Wright Steve Karsay Dave Collins Ray Smalley Hedeki Irabu Rondell White Carl Pavano Jat Buhner Jeff Weaver Drew Henson Tony Womack                     
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

lew krausse
    randy kutcher
    darren bragg
    calvin schraldi
    wes gardner 
    frank tanana
    jim dorsey
    joe rudi
    cecil cooper to the brewers for george scott and bernie carbo
    bill lee to the Expos for stan papi
    Fergie Jenkins to the Rangers for Jon Poloni
    jim willoughby to the white sox for cash
    bernie carbo to the indians for cash
    Trading jeff bagwell to the astros for larry andersen
    Trading Sparky Lyle to the Yankees for danny cater
    brad penny
    eric gagne
    john smoltz
    matt clement

And the biggest mistake of all.......

Selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees for cash.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox All-Bust Team of the 2000's : lew krausse randy kutcher darren bragg calvin schraldi wes gardner  frank tanana jim dorsey joe rudi cecil cooper to the brewers for george scott and bernie carbo bill lee to the Expos for stan papi Fergie Jenkins to the Rangers for Jon Poloni jim willoughby to the white sox for cash bernie carbo to the indians for cash Trading jeff bagwell to the astros for larry andersen Trading Sparky Lyle to the Yankees for danny cater brad penny eric gagne john smoltz matt clement And the biggest mistake of all....... Selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees for cash.
    Posted by -TheBabe---------[/QUOTE]

Lol Babe...I guess we can include the other 5 guys the Sox sold in 1919 to the list but that would be pilling on...

The bottom line is that both teams have had thier share of bad moves, none of them have been fatal flaw moves. ...Since 2002 after Henry bought the team. We've won 2 rings, played in four ALCS and we missed the playoffs twice it was Injuries that derailed us 2006 and 2010, and compromised us in 2008 not bad moves.

The Yanks in that same time frame have fared pretty well too with four trips to the ALCS and a ring in 2009 after missing the playoffs in 2008 with the intent on clearing payroll for the 09 offseason. where they added CC Tex & Burnett who could be considered a bust by some. In the end his signing, like that of Dice in the 06 offseason sent a message to the entire team that they were in it to win it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Sauerback was never used right. And we had Embree as our lefty so the trade never really made sense. Jeff Suppan didn't do that well but I thought we should have kept him as proof he won like 16, 17 games with the Cards in 04. Hemida was a good back up/starter. He got hurt that's all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Jeremy Giambi DH

Dice K  - not a bust

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe---------. Show -TheBabe---------'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox All-Bust Team of the 2000's : Lol Babe...I guess we can include the other 5 guys the Sox sold in 1919 to the list but that would be pilling on... The bottom line is that both teams have had thier share of bad moves, none of them have been fatal flaw moves. ...Since 2002 after Henry bought the team. We've won 2 rings, played in four ALCS and we missed the playoffs twice it was Injuries that derailed us 2006 and 2010, and compromised us in 2008 not bad moves. The Yanks in that same time frame have fared pretty well too with four trips to the ALCS and a ring in 2009 after missing the playoffs in 2008 with the intent on clearing payroll for the 09 offseason. where they added CC Tex & Burnett who could be considered a bust by some. In the end his signing, like that of Dice in the 06 offseason sent a message to the entire team that they were in it to win it!
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I agree, I just had to do that because of pike's ridiculous post.

Well, I agree on it all except for the "none have been fatal flaw moves"

The selling of Ruth was pretty fatal......Tongue out

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

On June 15, 1976, the Red Sox acquired Rollie Fingers and Joe Rudi from the Oakland A's for $2 million, plus Steve Dillard and Andy Merchant. Both Rollie Fingers and Joe Rudi dressed in Red Sox uniforms, but the trade was voided by commissioner Bowie Kuhn, citing the "best interests of baseball" before they appeared in a Red Sox game.

In 1976, baseball commissioner Bowie Kuhn vetoed an attempt by Oakland A's owner Charlie Finley to sell Blue to the New York Yankees

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]On June 15, 1976, the Red Sox acquired Rollie Fingers and Joe Rudi from the Oakland A's for $2 million, plus Steve Dillard and Andy Merchant. Both Rollie Fingers and Joe Rudi dressed in Red Sox uniforms, but the trade was voided by commissioner Bowie Kuhn, citing the "best interests of baseball" before they appeared in a Red Sox game. In 1976 , baseball commissioner Bowie Kuhn vetoed an attempt by Oakland A's owner Charlie Finley to sell Blue to the New York Yankees

How times have changed a commissioner acting on behalf of the best interest of the game...

Kuhn's argument to void the trades was the appearnce that the A's were trying to influence the pennent races that year but more so it was an attempt to rile Finley, who was the AL Davis of baseball back in the 70's...Funny but 2M by todays standards is peanuts...Net result was the Red's still won it all, but with Blue in the rotation who knows who the series might have turned out...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Sauerback was never used right. And we had Embree as our lefty so the trade never really made sense. Jeff Suppan didn't do that well but I thought we should have kept him as proof he won like 16, 17 games with the Cards in 04. Hemida was a good back up/starter. He got hurt that's all.
    Posted by jaytf25[/QUOTE]

Jay,
    Suppan's stuff never translated to the AL (A fly ball pitcher who pitches to contact)...He had success in Pittsburgh before and St Louis after, in part because both were pitchers parks with deep power alleys. He's struggled in Milwaukee for much the same reason...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]On June 15, 1976, the Red Sox acquired Rollie Fingers and Joe Rudi from the Oakland A's for $2 million, plus Steve Dillard and Andy Merchant. Both Rollie Fingers and Joe Rudi dressed in Red Sox uniforms, but the trade was voided by commissioner Bowie Kuhn, citing the "best interests of baseball" before they appeared in a Red Sox game. In 1976 , baseball commissioner Bowie Kuhn vetoed an attempt by Oakland A's owner Charlie Finley to sell Blue to the New York Yankees

How did Babe have Joe Rudi on his list of Red Sox busts when Rudi never had an AB with the Red Sox?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-----------------. Show -The-Babe-----------------'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox All-Bust Team of the 2000's : How did Babe have Joe Rudi on his list of Red Sox busts when Rudi never had an AB with the Red Sox?

Ummm...he appeared in 49 games for the red flops in 1981.

I'm guessing because you didn't know this that you are one of the 40-80% pretend sawx fans that you keep talking about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Erik Bedard

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

i want to be a bust with a 18-3 season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]i want to be a bust with a 18-3 season.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

C'mon man... he was a bust.  Even that 18-3 season was flukey.  He barely even qualified as a league leader in ERA because he was 39th in IP.  It was still a good year don't get me wrong but for the most part, the guy didn't live up to anything in Boston.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox All-Bust Team of the 2000's : Ummm...he appeared in 49 games for the red flops in 1981. I'm guessing because you didn't know this that you are one of the 40-80% pretend sawx fans that you keep talking about.
    Posted by -The-Babe-----------------[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected. In 1981, I was extremely busy trolling in a Daily News forum for Yankee fans using the the moniker of SplendidSplinter and was there 24/7 doing my best to annoy Yankee fans so I missed that since I was more concerned about Yankee stats than those of the Red Sox.  This happens when one is obsessed with the enemy. Sorry for that mistake. What a huge disappointment in Boston baseball history since Rudi did appear in 49 games for them in 1981. He belongs in their Hall of Shame.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-----------------. Show -The-Babe-----------------'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox All-Bust Team of the 2000's : I stand corrected. In 1981, I was extremely busy trolling in a Daily News forum for Yankee fans using the the moniker of SplendidSplinter and was there 24/7 doing my best to annoy Yankee fans so I missed that since I was more concerned about Yankee stats than those of the Red Sox.  This happens when one is obsessed with the enemy. Sorry for that mistake. What a huge disappointment in Boston baseball history since Rudi did appear in 49 games for them in 1981. He belongs in their Hall of Shame.

You probably belong in the posting hall of shame.

You call me out that rudi never even had an at bat with the sawx and then when you were proven wrong (I know you are used to this) you try to deflect it.

You are a fraud and everyone knows it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox All-Bust Team of the 2000's : I stand corrected. In 1981, I was extremely busy trolling in a Daily News forum for Yankee fans using the the moniker of SplendidSplinter and was there 24/7 doing my best to annoy Yankee fans so I missed that since I was more concerned about Yankee stats than those of the Red Sox.  This happens when one is obsessed with the enemy. Sorry for that mistake. What a huge disappointment in Boston baseball history since Rudi did appear in 49 games for them in 1981. He belongs in their Hall of Shame.
    I don't think The Daily News had a website in 1981.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox All-Bust Team of the 2000's : You probably belong in the posting hall of shame. You call me out that rudi never even had an at bat with the sawx and then when you were proven wrong (I know you are used to this) you try to deflect it. You are a fraud and everyone knows it.
    Posted by -The-Babe-----------------[/QUOTE]

I was wrong once before. I estimated the number of stars in the Milky Way and was off by 41. Rudi however didn't merit being on your list of significant Red Sox busts over the years. Did you apply a filter to sift out players who played over 100 games? If so, you forgot Roman Mejias from the 1963 team.