The Red Sox Don't Get It - Look at Other Payroll Slashing Big Market Teams

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Red Sox Don't Get It - Look at Other Payroll Slashing Big Market Teams

With the news that the Red Sox will be holding 2013 ticket prices at 2012 levels continues to show that management does not get it. It will be very obvious come February when tickets go on sale, and secondly, the fake sellout streak.

Both the Cubs and White Sox, teams with medium to high payrolls in big markets have both announced that they are lowering ticket prices.

The Sellout streak is a joke and so are the ticket prices for a franchise that has been in decline since 2008 and hasn't made the playoffs since 2009. They won't be getting one penny from me in 2013. The $300 I spent on tickets in 2012 won't happen next year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: The Red Sox Don't Get It - Look at Other Payroll Slashing Big Market Teams

Its a joke that they have messed this team up the last couple years and still refuse to lower tix prices...This ownership has done a lot for Fenway Park and this team, but have done nothing but mess things up lately at treat the fans as if were stupid. They've become very unlikable...

My $$ will remain in my pocket as well...Ill watch the Sox on TV and just go to Seadogs games instead...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its a joke that they have messed this team up the last couple years and still refuse to lower tix prices...This ownership has done a lot for Fenway Park and this team, but have done nothing but mess things up lately at treat the fans as if were stupid. They've become very unlikable...

My $$ will remain in my pocket as well...Ill watch the Sox on TV and just go to Seadogs games instead...

[/QUOTE]

The Seadogs could be fun with Bogaerts, Bradley and maybe Barnes playing in Portland.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey guys, I had made it a habit to fly into Boston two or three times a season  through Red Sox Destinations to watch our team, but I came only once in 2010 and none this past season.  The only way we are going to jolt Prune Face Henry and his satraps Lucchino and Werner is to keep our money in our pockets and not go to the games. Watch them on TV or hear them on the radio, or, in my case, on my computer.  Sooner or later they will "get it" or sell the da@n team, hopefully the latter.

The Seadogs could be fun with Bogaerts, Bradley and maybe Barnes playing in Portland.

[/QUOTE]

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Cubs are down almost 300,000 over three years.

The WS are down a little over 300,000 over three seasons.

The RS are down 19,000 over three years.

Suuply and demand boys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You can run an HDMI cable out of your computer and watch on your TV if both have that connection port.  It is much more relaxing to watch a game on your couch or armchair than on your computer.

[/QUOTE]

pike 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cubs are down almost 300,000 over three years.

The WS are down a little over 300,000 over three seasons.

The RS are down 19,000 over three years.

Suuply and demand boys.

Sounds like Ossama Obama's economic policy record. Instead of supply and demand, it's foodstamps, porkulis and printing more money and more debt. Maybe Obama will "save" these dying teams in FL etc, like he personally "saved" Detroit.

[/QUOTE]

Actually the Marlins had solid attendance with a crummy team.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Definitely agree with you.  Considering how poorly the Red Sox have performed recently, lowering the ticket prices makes sense.  I am fortunate that I usually go to games for free since I have a few friends that are season ticket holders and don't use all of their tickets and many times just give me their tickets or I attend games with them.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Lowering prices does not make sense. The Red Sox are a business and all businesses look to maximize profits. So it comes back to supply and demand. As long as the demand is there, the Sox would be stupid to lower prices.

If fans don't like the prices, it's like any other product -- don't buy it. If enough fans stop buying, then there's more pressure on ownership to lower prices. But I wouldn't look for a steep drop even in that case. There is a point where it's more profitable to sell fewer tickets at a higher price than more tickets at a lower price.

And the Red Sox prices aren't as out of line compared with other teams who draw well as you might think. Everyone likes to focus on average prices. Well when you buy a ticket, you don't pay the average price. You pay the price for the specific seat.

When you compare the price of a seat at Fenway to a seat at another ballpark that's in a comparable location, there isn't a considerable difference. (I'm talking about other teams with good attendance, not the Tampa Rays of this world.) The reason the AVERAGE ticket price is higher for Boston is that there are fewer cheap seats that drive down the average price at other locations.

I suspect that if you take the average price for the top 37,000 seats at other parks, it would be a lot closer to Boston's average price.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JOKE ???? if you could sell out every game at high ticket prices would you lower the ticket price???? Ihope you don't vote !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Definitely agree with you.  Considering how poorly the Red Sox have performed recently, lowering the ticket prices makes sense.  I am fortunate that I usually go to games for free since I have a few friends that are season ticket holders and don't use all of their tickets and many times just give me their tickets or I attend games with them.  

[/QUOTE]

What part of Boston are you from?  Not that little Portugese area?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Business 101 folks for the prices to come down you would need a decrease of 20 to 25 percent in attendance Or 600k +. That would mean Fenway would only have 25k per game and then maybe you'd see a price change. Then the team still has played damn well up until last Sept. just because they have not made playoffs or won WS  in the past 5 yrs. is not a long time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I live a little north of Boston. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I think going to the games early in the year will be the safe bet as all 3 have a good chance of advancing during the year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JOKE ???? if you could sell out every game at high ticket prices would you lower the ticket price???? Ihope you don't vote !!!

[/QUOTE]

Joke?? You think this sellout is legit? Jeeez..If you believe that than I hope its YOU that doesnt vote...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I know how business works and I understand what Roy is saying also. I just think that if they lowered a few tix, even a little, that would be a good move. After the "Varsity letter" this year, the fake sellout streak, Henry stating he didnt want CC even though he signed off on the deal, LL jumping in and overruling the GM, and just the whole catering to the "pinkhats" who have mostly left because the Sox arent the "thing to do" anymore.

I enjoy watching the "kids" in the minors play and will be heading to Portland on a regular basis in 2013. My vacation will be in FL and I will go see them there, even at 25+ a tix. But only because I will be able to add to my large collection of signed baseballs I have collected over the last few decades. I assume they will be readily available after this years complete mess.

I will always be a fan of this team and support them. Just might not be attending as many games as I have in the past, if any this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Yes, but I think going to the games early in the year will be the safe bet as all 3 have a good chance of advancing during the year.

I'm hoping to make opening day at Hadlock, it's a bit of a journey from Bangor, but worth it I think.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Would be nice if Ace Ticket went under...

That would change the way they do business.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm hoping to make opening day at Hadlock, it's a bit of a journey from Bangor, but worth it I think.

Wow...Your way up there. Im only about 1/2 hour away, just across the NH/ME border. Im planning to go to opening day if everything works out that way. Is the 2013 schedule out yet carnie?

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wow...Your way up there. Im only about 1/2 hour away, just across the NH/ME border. Im planning to go to opening day if everything works out that way. Is the 2013 schedule out yet carnie?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes it is.  Home opener is April 4 against Trenton.

Sections
Shortcuts