The Red Sox have been rebuffing trade inquiries about Jacoby Ellsbury

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: The Red Sox have been rebuffing trade inquiries about Jacoby Ellsbury

Why REBUFF ---he's good but he's also as good as gone. The only reason I can think of thar Ben would rebuff offers is he feels we'll qualify for a top 10 pick again next year. Ells may or may not have a great season--if he doesn't Ben will have to make him a qualifying offer to get the pick. Let's say it's $14 M next year---if he has another bad season ben buys him for $14 and no pick in addition we tank another season--essentially like they did last year  for the sake of a pick--Sign Swish today before he goes to thr Indians-then trade Ells.

Ben should be fired if he's not listening to offers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

How rhetorical of you.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Ben should be fired if he's not listening to offers.

I agree, so let's hope the drive-by media will find out whether this report is true. My guess is that Cherry is unable to explore the concept of multi-player trades because he has a hard time understanding the single player FA market value and Red Sox player value and fit. In other words, it's too complicated for him.

We don't often agree but we are close on this opinion. I honestly think he is affraid Ells will have an incredibly good year if traded and he will look bad. Not in my eyes--better to get something close to MajLeague ready now than someone four or five years away.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Folks, if this is true, as the great Heyman reports, to not even consider trade "inquiries" is pure managment incompetence. Do you agree?

What I will say is this, I still don't see anbody in our lineup "except Papi" who might end up with an OBP over .345 except maybe Pede, Ells or Middy.  Even though we added depth the overall talent is still mediocre at best so unless this team can find some magical chemistry I still don't see a playoff team in Boston, especially with our current SP.

The problem with trading Ells is he has no current trade value.  A soon to be FA who has spent a lot of time on the DL and has Boras for agent isn't going to get us much in return.  We just need to bite the bullet "like with Lackey" and hope for the best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Folks, if this is true, as the great Heyman reports, to not even consider trade "inquiries" is pure managment incompetence. Do you agree?

I agree that you use press reports when you want, but call other reports nonsense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Softy,  maybe it's a lot like Hillary Clinton ???  Ben must be concussed !!!  That way both Larry Luccianos & the "BIG O" can beat IMPEACHMENT !!!!!   Ya think ??

I think it's highly unlikely that you know what impeachment means.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Softy,  maybe it's a lot like Hillary Clinton ???  Ben must be concussed !!!  That way both Larry Luccianos & the "BIG O" can beat IMPEACHMENT !!!!!   Ya think ??

I think it's highly unlikely that you know what impeachment means.

:-)

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BarberNJ's comment:

One of the more enticing options with Ellsbury is that he could bring a first round draft pick next year should he sign elsewhere as a free agent. For a front office that is determined to rebuild the franchise, adding a first round pick could go a long way into making the Sox a perennial title contender.

It's not really a 1st round pick; it is a sandwich pick between the 1st and second round.

It has value in and of itself, assuming the team that has Ellsbury from the start of the 2013 season to the end offers him a qualifying offer. With this year's mega-raises, that may be north of $14M next winter.

People who say Ellsbury has no trade value are dead wrong. There are a few contending teams like Texas that would view Ellsbury as a nice bridge player that would give them a draft pick in 2014. His potential to repeat his 2011 numbers has value.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Please provide a link....since I was just on Heyman's site and there is nothing about Jake anywhere including tweets.

LINK PLEASE

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Boston Red Sox Rumors

AL East Notes: Ellsbury, Blue Jays, Dickey, Orioles By Ben Nicholson-Smith[December 17, 2012 at 1:23pm CST]

It’s been a busy day for AL East teams, with the Red Sox agreeing to sign Stephen Drew and the Blue Jays agreeing to an extension with R.A. Dickey. Here are some more notes from the division...

• The Red Sox have been rebuffing trade inquiries about Jacoby Ellsbury, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). Boston can obtain a compensatory draft pick if Ellsbury declines a qualifying offer to sign elsewhere following the 2013 season, when he’ll become eligible for free agency

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Trade him for what?  Sure there is inquries but what do they want to trade for him?  Keep him and see what happens.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have been all for trading Ellsbury this winter, but have yet to hear of one specific offer.

softy likes to moan and grown, but until he offers evidence of a good deal spurned, his point is just drivel.

Remember, softy is the guy who screamed for us to trade Jed, but then complained at what little we got for him. The same could be true here, so bring out the specifics, clown.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Just because theyve "rebuffed" trade inquiries on Ells, doesnt say anything. You can assume all you want. The truth is if someone offered a nice package for Ells, BC would listen. They probably havent been offered anything that would warrant consideration.

Not sure why it would be a problem if Ells had a great year. if he does, the sox get some much needed production from the lead-off spot and it guarantees them that a qualifying offer wouldnt be accepted, thus netting the Sox a much valued comp. pick. If they are offered something worth while, then they sign off on it. Its a win win for the Sox either way.

To assume BC is scared to make a move with Ells is ridiculous. Hes not going to give him away.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I have been all for trading Ellsbury this winter, but have yet to hear of one specific offer.

softy likes to moan and grown, but until he offers evidence of a good deal spurned, his point is just drivel.

Remember, softy is the guy who screamed for us to trade Jed, but then complained at what little we got for him. The same could be true here, so bring out the specifics, clown.

Softy=Soft-Stoll Due To Stress..........

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Heyman was pretty critical of Cherington for this0, too.  What did he say?

"[red sox] have been rebuffing ellsbury inquiries so far. can't blame em. great talent, draft pick after '13. would take haul."

If a good deal can be found, then fine.  But there is not a lot of detail about how far these talks got..

Sections
Shortcuts