The Red Sox Have No Backup Outfielder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Red Sox Have No Backup Outfielder

With Kalish done again (this guy is as fragile as a piece of glass), the 4th outfield spot will be between Sweeney (junk) or Nava (better junk). Maybe this will be an opportunity for Brentz to step forward in spring training and take the job.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: The Red Sox Have No Backup Outfielder

Hassan and Linares are ahead of Brentz at this point in time but a solid spring can turn heads relatively fast! Valentine should have brought Ciriaco north with him instead of waiting until May!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Not that I have any faith in Brentz, but if he is to be immediately relegated to the role of "backup outfielder," what exactly is anyone supposed to get excited aboutanyway?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Just pointing out that his failure to take the hot bat in ST north with him was wrong. Brentz if he can handle MLB pitching should be brought along with the big club to Fenway.Yes Valentine is last years news.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Hassan and Linares are ahead of Brentz at this point in time but a solid spring can turn heads relatively fast! Valentine should have brought Ciriaco north with him instead of waiting until May!

Linares is not on the 40 man roster. I think we'll DL Kalish, pick up a Pods type OF'er, and use Ciriaco as the 5th OF'er.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Just pointing out that his failure to take the hot bat in ST north with him was wrong. Brentz if he can handle MLB pitching should be brought along with the big club to Fenway.Yes Valentine is last years news.

2012 Spring Training OPS:

• Darnell McDonald:  1.327
    • Daniel Nava:  1.324
    • Pedro Ciriaco: 1.096

So, by taking McDonald north last year, Valentine did exactly what you are saying he should have done.

Brentz in 2013?  If he has potential why on earth would you want him and his right handed batting to sit on the bench in Boston when he can play every day in Pawtucket and work on improving his 2012 AAA OPS of .284? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

There a .10 a doz,   I would rather give a KID a chance to take a position in spring training !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

There a .10 a doz,   I would rather give a KID a chance to take a position in spring training !!!

Have you not read the thread, or do you not understand my post?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Back up outfielders are always easy to find at the end of spring training if the Sox feel that the guys (Nava, Seweeney, etc) cannot do the job.

A guy like Brentz needs to get a look as a starting outfielder only at the major league level.  If he can start (off his spring training performance) then keep him, start him and stick with him for at least half the year.  If he is not going to start, send him to Pawtucket so that he can play every day.

It does not make any sense to me to have a rookie as the back up outfielder at the beginning of the season.  In August or September I could accept that same rookie as a reserve outfielder because that has meant that he had a pretty good four or five months in the minors.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

It's like debating politics with Chauncey Gardiner....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Linares is not on the 40 man roster. I think we'll DL Kalish, pick up a Pods type OF'er, and use Ciriaco as the 5th OF'er.

I have not heard anything about how long Kalish will be out. If its just six weeks or two months we don't really need to pick up another OF. I would rather see one of our prospects out there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

Gardiner had unusually direct access to big time power brokers and his advice was routinely accepted by politicians in his time. Do not dismiss Chauncey Gardiner so quickly!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

Gardiner had unusually direct access to big time power brokers and his advice was routinely accepted by politicians in his time. Do not dismiss Chauncey Gardiner so quickly!

LOL.

Unless a LHH prospect truly tears it up in ST, I'd rather see a Sweeney or a Linares sitting on the bench in Boston and the prospect(s) playing every day in Pawtucket.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Some would argue that the Sox have 5 bu outfielders on the roster....not sure that our teams fortune rest on how good our 4th or 5th outfielders are...

Ells in center 150 games, Gomes in left 120 ish Victorino in right 150 with Sweeney and Nava as backups...that means we'll need about 60 games or so from the reserves...not all that big a deal...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Ben will trade for Garret Jones before season starts... Perfect fit right now..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

No backup OF?  Of course they do.  They have Gomes.

You should have entitled this thread "The Sox have no starting OF, 1B, and they are still looking for two starting pitchers; but they do have a lousy SS"

Terrible roster right now - unless baseball makes that rule change requiring all MLB teams to carry 5 catchers - then we will be ahead of the power curve.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I heard Napoli is willing to fill-in out there on the grass.... just like AGon; Napoli being so valuable and all.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Jeremy Hazelbaker maybe?  Could be platoon player with Gomes.  He has plus speed, glove, decent pop in his bat

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

In response to LR3683paw's comment:

Painted into the Napoli stinks corner.

Pike is up

guess that means baseball talk ends now as he pollutes the threads.

So, he posts, basically, the same thing as you, albeit with a clever pic and you slam him for it?

I don't get it.