The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.

Headline says it all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.

Wouldn't give up on him just yet.  Nice swing for the slice double.  I think he might heat up again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He might, but does anyone really have a lot of confidence that we have found our RF'er of the future? I'm not even sure we can count on him to be half of a good platoon next year (assuming we pick up a RH'd OF'er this offseason).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

How can you have a lot of confidence in anyone this young and unproven, moon?  He's shown some potential and the price is certainly right.  I'd like to see him pick it up again in September.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Another premature and useless thread.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree. I didn't mean it as a diss. I like Reddick. He's a great fielder (despite tonight's play) and he has a great arm (nice for Fenway).

I was hoping Theo picked up a RH'd bat in July who could also field well in RF (DMac scares me in RF). I'd have felt a whole lot more confident if that had happened.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I like Reddick.  I knew he would come down to earth this season, but I was also hoping he would show some type of consistency...he still has time left to prove himself, and overall has showed improvement over the years.

If given the chance I'd really like to see what he can do next year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.:
    I like Reddick.  I knew he would come down to earth this season, but I was also hoping he would show some type of consistency...he still has time left to prove himself, and overall has showed improvement over the years. If given the chance I'd really like to see what he can do next year.
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh
    I hear you but the way he played until Drew went on the DL made it unlikely that he was going to maintain that level.

With most young players it is all about adjustments and counter adjustments. The seldom happen fast enough in day-to-day micro focus evironment like forums to not generate a rash of OPs about greatness followed by an OP like this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Drew will be back soon and Josh will be relagated to a pich hitter/runner late innings replacement.

While it's too soon the write him off, it's not too soon to temper our expectations...He's a career .250 hitter with a little pop, plus speed, a strong arm and is considered a very good defensive OFer...sounds like a career platoon guy or a nice value add in a trade this offseason...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Drew will be back soon and Josh will be relagated to a pich hitter/runner late innings replacement. While it's too soon the write him off, it's not too soon to temper our expectations...He's a career .250 hitter with a little pop, plus speed, a strong arm and is considered a very good defensive OFer...sounds like a career platoon guy or a nice value add in a trade this offseason...
    Posted by Beantowne

I agree, but he has some pop...and if that transfers over to the MLB level then .250 with some power looks pretty attractive with plus plus defense.

I know it's hard to defend him tonight after that play in right field but I really think Reddic's defense can be special out there. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Drew will be back soon and Josh will be relagated to a pich hitter/runner late innings replacement. While it's too soon the write him off, it's not too soon to temper our expectations...He's a career .250 hitter with a little pop, plus speed, a strong arm and is considered a very good defensive OFer...sounds like a career platoon guy or a nice value add in a trade this offseason...
    Posted by Beantowne

Exactly.  He is a guy that is going to hit 250 with 15 homers that plays nice D.  He could have a nice little career, but he is nothing to get excited about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Beantowne gets it! Snakeoil gets it!
    During the trade deadline week, Sean McAdam commented that there was not a lot of interest in Reddick by other teams. That said a lot.
    What's to like about a player who has 5 RBI for August, with a .205 average, and 11 RBI in 131 at bats since the All-Star game?
    He's hitting .235 with RISP and 2 outs.
    "Nice swing for slice double"???? Wow! That's really reaching to see the cup half full. It was a lucky hit. Period.
    A one month wonder, and not much else.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again. : I agree, but he has some pop...and if that transfers over to the MLB level then .250 with some power looks pretty attractive with plus plus defense. I know it's hard to defend him tonight after that play in right field but I really think Reddic's defense can be special out there. 
    That play FWIW will eventualy happen to any player who spends time playing RF in Fenway. The ball took a slightly odd hop of off the lower third concrete surface and when it does it there the odds are tremendous that ball is getting by the fielder and he will look stupid.

I agree his defense is fine. Plus speed, good reads, nice jump, strong arm. And he'll get better with age still. His issue is going to be all about adjustments in the batters box over time and still the questions linger about his ability to hit for a moderate average (.270) with and 7% - 8% walk ratio (OBP .340 - .350).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again. : That play FWIW will eventualy happen to any player who spends time playing RF in Fenway. The ball took a slightly odd hop of off the lower third concrete surface and when it does it there the odds are tremendous that ball is getting by the fielder and he will look stupid. I agree his defense is fine. Plus speed, good reads, nice jump, strong arm. And he'll get better with age still. His issue is going to be all about adjustments in the batters box over time and still the questions linger about his ability to hit for a moderate average (.270) with and 7% - 8% walk ratio (OBP .340 - .350).
    Posted by fivekatz

Agreed, I still think its too early to close the book on what this kid will do at the MLB level.  It easy to look at what he did when he first came up, but it's also unfair to judge him on the sample size he has produced the last 6 weeks.

The questions are there....but the talent is there as well.  He may always be a streaky hitter, but if he can command a respectable average I think the defense and power will be there to make him a more than serviceable MLB right fielder.  Like I said the tools are there, but he will have to make the adjustments. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

The Sox just acquired Conor Jackson from the A's...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I agree. I didn't mean it as a diss. I like Reddick. He's a great fielder (despite tonight's play) and he has a great arm (nice for Fenway). I was hoping Theo picked up a RH'd bat in July who could also field well in RF (DMac scares me in RF). I'd have felt a whole lot more confident if that had happened.
    Posted by moonslav59

Geez moon, I don't know about the "great fielder" description. He's got a nice arm and, don't get me wrong, he is decent in RF, but defensively, he's a step or two (or three or four) down from Drew.

Since Reddick has cooled off a lot, I'd put Drew back to see if he heats up because I'd be much more comfortable with Drew in RF with the glove than Reddick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think roy and I dealing with reality a little bit more than this rah-rah thread for Flavor of the Day-Reddick. I'm with roy, put Drew back out there...of course, he now has a sprained ego, so we won't see him in September...If JD coughs, he breaks a rib, if JD turns to his right, he sprains a tendon. I haven't seen a more soft player since Bobby Jenks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I disagree...my eyes could be deceiving me but I think Reddick is a better defender.  Drew has lost a few steps, and Reddick has better advanced defensive metrics this year. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I disagree...my eyes could be deceiving me but I think Reddick is a better defender.  Drew has lost a few steps, and Reddick has better advanced defensive metrics this year. 

I don't know -- maybe.

I've seen Drew make a lot of nice plays even if he has lost a step, while I've seen Reddick butcher a few. Since I don't get the chance to watch every game and really study it, so if I did, maybe I'd see it differently. But right now, I'm still more comfortable with Drew in right than Reddick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again. : I don't know -- maybe. I've seen Drew make a lot of nice plays even if he has lost a step, while I've seen Reddick butcher a few. Since I don't get the chance to watch every game and really study it, so if I did, maybe I'd see it differently. But right now, I'm still more comfortable with Drew in right than Reddick.
    Posted by royf19

Well agree to disagree. Although one thing no one can ever take away from Drew is his defense, even now as his offense slips he is a very good defender.  I know it's hard to make a case for Reddick after he butchered that play tonight...but I've seen him make some great plays as well, and the scouting reports on his defense are very good, and he has the stats to prove it if you want to look it up on fangraphs.

I'd be comfortable with both in RF....I just hope whoever it is can start to swing the bat at least better than the production we have gotten out of RF recently. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.:
    Headline says it all.
    Posted by ADG

Better shot than Swisher of NY. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

dont worry we the our stud back up darnell mcdonald, jd drew coming back soon..err wait scratch that he is hurt again, and our the great connor jackson. i think its safe to say we are pretty stacked in right field lol. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Drew is average in RF at his age, Reddick is much better.

arm -   No comparison. Drew is average at best.

range -  again, no comparison.  Drew slides feet first which has to limit him a bit, plus Reddick is much faster. 

Drew is smooth but age takes its toll.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again. : Drew is average in RF at his age, Reddick is much better.   arm -   No comparison. Drew is average at best. range -  again, no comparison.  Drew slides feet first which has to limit him a bit, plus Reddick is much faster.  Drew is smooth but age takes its toll.
    Posted by tom-uk

Couldn't agree more. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

if this was a western movie, i'd have both wake and drew riding off in the sunset. thank you wake for being a class act and the 185 wins; thanks drew for the grand slam against cleveland and ....well, thanks for the grand slam against cleveland.

i have no problem with  reddick continuing to play against right handers.
    i think he adds spark to the team.

Sections
Shortcuts