The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.

Yeah some spark. Why not put 180lbs. of playdough at the plate?
    Does anyone bother looking at the putrid stats he's put up since the All-Star break? Anyone watch him with men on base, popping up constantly?
    Sorry to those who can't forget his July, but Reddick is NOT the answer to the Sox need for a right handed hitting full time RF.
    Comparing his fielding with 35 year old Drew? Drew is still better, and don't give me that "deep zone ratings" garbage. Everyone talks about how fast Reddick is. Well, Dewey and Yaz were as good as it gets, and neither was fast.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.:
    [QUOTE]Yeah some spark. Why not put 180lbs. of playdough at the plate? Does anyone bother looking at the putrid stats he's put up since the All-Star break? Anyone watch him with men on base, popping up constantly? Sorry to those who can't forget his July, but Reddick is NOT the answer to the Sox need for a right handed hitting full time RF. Comparing his fielding with 35 year old Drew? Drew is still better, and don't give me that "deep zone ratings" garbage.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Reddick is playing bad yes, but he's still young.  When you look at stats you need to look at ALL the stats and over a long period of time.  Reddick has shown improvement in many areas of his game and is still YOUNG and learning. 

You may very well be right, Reddick may not be the answer...but just as you point out that we canno't use the sample size in the beginning of the season to get all high on Reddick you can't use a small sample size to get low on him....that would just be hypocritical.

You can take stats from any period of time and make them fit your argument, you have to look at the long term horizon, but like i said you may very well be right.

I would be careful though, I've seen you over the past couple months bad mouth Reddick a lot, it's as if you hate him.  If he does turn into a star, your going to end up digging the same hole that SOFTY did with Ellsbury. 

In terms of defense comparing him to the 35 year old Drew is 100 % appropriate because thats our other option for the playoffs.  Reddick is better than Drew defensively (now)  and i don't think you can submit one shred of evidence to the contrary...you say not to give you the deep zone garbage...well then you tell me what type of statistical analysis or methods YOU use to evaluate a players defense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Where Drew is still really solid is he doesn't get solid reads and good jumps, he gets excellent ones. His arm isn't quite as strong but then again he's pretty accurate. Drew's defense has always been like the rest of his game, not a lot of flash to it.

Reddick is really good but a couple of times a week you'll see him turn chicken pooh into chicken salad when he gets cross footed or slightly mis-positioned on a play. Drew in large part because of his experience in fundamentally solid IMO.

That said too much was made of the Reddick HOF start and too much is made of the Reddick BUST August. This is a young player who will have ups and downs and the expectation is for him to be a bottom third of the order hitter who makes the plays in the field.

Beware of 30 day sample sets. This year they have told us that Pedey was through, neither of our catchers could hit a lick and that A-Gon was a singles hitter.

IMO RF isn't as big an issue for the balance of the season or the post season a how well the rotation performs and whether Albers can get back on track or Wheeler can emerge as the guy in front of Bard.

If the object of the OP is to point out that Reddick's June-July was a short sample set misread, point taken.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah some spark. Why not put 180lbs. of playdough at the plate? Does anyone bother looking at the putrid stats he's put up since the All-Star break? Anyone watch him with men on base, popping up constantly? Sorry to those who can't forget his July, but Reddick is NOT the answer to the Sox need for a right handed hitting full time RF. Comparing his fielding with 35 year old Drew? Drew is still better, and don't give me that "deep zone ratings" garbage.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

the SOX already have that with crawford.
    PLAYDOUGH is certainly expensive.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Not ready to give up on Reddick.  He blew that play, but that is a tricky corner and he had to field it like an infielder.  Speaking of which, AGon had an error that was eliminated by an alert play by Pedroia, and AGon is a very good fielder.  Errors happen.  

Reddick's hitting is slipping, but I agree it's too early to dump him.  When Drew returns, I suspect Francona will give him every chance to show what he can do to earn the rest of that $14M for his year.  Nothing harder than hitting a round ball with a round bat, squarely. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

thats the thing about statistics, the smaller the sample size the easier it is to find a set of numbers to back up your argument. It's all about the long term picture, and with young talent...it's about the tools they posses and their progression.  I still think it is to early to write the book on Reddick either way.  Theo & friends, and the whole system that has evaluated the likes of Bard/Ellsbury/Lester/Buccholz/youkilis/Pedrioa.......seem to see something in this kid so for that reason I'll look at the glass as "half full" 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Yup, I'll admit, I can't stand Reddick. He looks like Buchholz playing RF.
    Now admit your man crush on him, and we'll agree to disagree.
    I serioulsy doubt if I have to worry about him ever becoming a star.
    He's been up three years, and does the same thing....hot start and some here acting like that's the real deal, and the inevitable fade to black.
    As Bill Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are". A guy who had a lot of trouble making contact with AAA pitching. He barely broke .200 last season.
    I go to Pawsox games, and I know what I've seen.
    Zone rating show Pedroia and Ellsbury at the bottom of their positions in the AL.
    They're a big crock of crapola. My eyes tell me that.
    Everyone mentions Reddick is faster than Drew.
    I don't recall anyone saying Yaz and Dewey were fast, but nobody could touch them as fielders. Crawford is fast. So what?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Reddick is going to be a good player, but I think the problem is that he is playing under alot of pressure lately especially during this tough AL east division competition between Boston and Yankees.  If he cant handle it, then it is the time to bring back Drew.  Then try to rotate both of them for the next four weeks, and see who can do a better job and get the start during the post season.  I would not be surprise that Drew get the nod cuz of his late season and post season experiences.  

Remember Kevin Youkilis started playing for Boston during 2004, and he had a great stats during that season eventhough he only played like 70 games or something like that, but only played one game during the post season cuz he wasnt ready to play.  There were some players that wasnt hitting well such as Belhorn, Varitek, etc, but Tito still kept these guys in the games during post season cuz of experiences.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Yup, I'll admit, I can't stand Reddick. He looks like Buchholz playing RF. Now admit your man crush on him, and we'll agree to disagree. I serioulsy doubt if I have to worry about him ever becoming a star. He's been up three years, and does the same thing....hot start and some here acting like that's the real deal, and the inevitable fade to black. As Bill Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are". A guy who had a lot of trouble making contact with AAA pitching. He barely broke .200 last season. I go to Pawsox games, and I know what I've seen. Zone rating show Pedroia and Ellsbury at the bottom of their positions in the AL. They're a big crock of crapola. My eyes tell me that. Everyone mentions Reddick is faster than Drew. I don't recall anyone saying Yaz and Dewey were fast, but nobody could touch them as fielders. Crawford is fast. So what?
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Man crush???

I've admitted that I very well could be wrong on Reddick, I'm not putting all my chips on and I'm not even banking on it.  You have just openly admitted that you can't stand the kid, so you are obviously biased.  In terms of zone ratings Pedrioa and Ellsbury rank at the top of their class if you look at UZR UZR/150, and they have superb range factors as well.

The difference between me and you is you are saying that he is absolutely a bust.  I'm not taking the opposite side of you, I'm just saying the kid has talent, and I don't think youv'e provided any evidence that he doesn't have talent besides biased sample sizes.  Also saying he has done this for 3 years is a little unfair. he had two call ups, one from Portland at 22 and one from Pawtucket at 23....for a total of 121 at bats he has 195 this year and is batting .282.

Your biased, and obviously don't like the kid....I'm actually reasonable enough in a an argument to tell you you may be right, because I don't blindfully believe in all of my views....but I tell you the talent is there and you are digging your hole further if this kid becomes a star. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Yup, I'll admit, I can't stand Reddick. He looks like Buchholz playing RF. Now admit your man crush on him, and we'll agree to disagree. I serioulsy doubt if I have to worry about him ever becoming a star. He's been up three years, and does the same thing....hot start and some here acting like that's the real deal, and the inevitable fade to black.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

It's pretty silly to say that his 2011 is 'the same thing' as his 2009 and 2010.  The 'hot starts' in 2009 and 2010 lasted for a game or two.  He had 121 total AB's for those first two stints.  In 2011 he was still hitting over .300 after 167 AB's. 

At least we know now why is it is you dislike him.  His looks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again. : Man crush??? I've admitted that I very well could be wrong on Reddick, I'm not putting all my chips on and I'm not even banking on it.  You have just openly admitted that you can't stand the kid, so you are obviously biased.  In terms of zone ratings Pedrioa and Ellsbury rank at the top of their class if you look at UZR UZR/150, and they have superb range factors as well. The difference between me and you is you are saying that he is absolutely a bust.  I'm not taking the opposite side of you, I'm just saying the kid has talent, and I don't think youv'e provided any evidence that he doesn't have talent besides biased sample sizes.  Also saying he has done this for 3 years is a little unfair. he had two call ups, one from Portland at 22 and one from Pawtucket at 23....for a total of 121 at bats he has 195 this year and is batting .282. Your biased, and obviously don't like the kid....I'm actually reasonable enough in a an argument to tell you you may be right, because I don't blindfully believe in all of my views....but I tell you the talent is there and you are digging your hole further if this kid becomes a star. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]
    ^^^This. +1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

OK, so he had more at bats this time before he flopped.
    My looks comment was made, tongue in cheek.
    Part of my disdain is, the makeup of the Sox OF. All lefty in Fenway?
    In 51 years of following them, I've never seen that happen for an entire season.
    You have two corners with putrid production, one that they're stuck with for another 6 years.
    I think Theo's love for all things left has gone overboard. Going into last winter, the consensus was that a right handed OF was needed. Werth was not the only option. Trades could have been made. He tried to get Upton. and failed. Right move, without results. So, was Upton the only guy who fit the bill in all of MLB?
    I'll be interested in seeing what happens this winter with regard to RF.
    Remember, with Youk possibly in decline, there is no right handed power at all on this team. That's unprecidented in Sox history.
    People like Brentz, Middlebrook, and Hassan are at least a season away.
    This is the oldest team in MLB. That needs to change.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Who or what is this guy tbrod with his wrongheaded "insights?"  He sights Bill Parcells, a football coach, on baseball stats? 

And he calls Pedroia and Ellsbury a big crock of crapola? 

Based on the above, his condemnation of Reddick must mean Reddick is ready to break out. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

I suggest you try a course in reading compreshension.
    Parcells stated about someone's record defining who they are.
    It's often quoted universally in sports.
    I said Zone rating were a crock. Try reading, huh?
    Don't like what I write, don't read it.
    It's called a discussion board not a sheep pen for total agreement on all things..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

As much as I dislike this and as bad as it is for baseball as a whole, the facts are these. There are only a handful of teams in MLB who are willing to spend the resources to get top quality players, and the Sox are in that handful.  Many of the teams serve (almost) as a developmental league for that handful.  Sorry, but that's true.  The 'haves' cherry-pick from the 'have-nots' every year.  See a good player whom you want?  Wait until his contract is up and outbid the original team for him.  Right or wrong, that's the way it is for now.

Because of what they're willing to spend to get established players the Sox don't have to wait around to see if a prospect is going to pan out.  They call a player up and give him a shot, and if they determine he hasn't got it... he's gone - traded or released.  

And that's how I see Reddick's situation.  UNLESS people in the Sox organization with more baseball acumen than we have see something in Reddick that convinces them that he's worth keeping - that he's a premier outfielder of the future - he'll be gone by next year, gone as part of a trade for someone who'll be playing right field.  Sometimes they lose some major league players that way (Masterson?  Hanley?  Murphy?) but in the AL East you can't afford to wait around to see if someone's going to improve. 

The Sox are committed to putting the best team they can on the field every year and in the process there are decisions made. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't, but I'm glad they've made that commitment.  I just don't always like the way the chips sometimes fall for the younger players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again. :   Reddick is playing bad yes, but he's still young.  When you look at stats you need to look at ALL the stats and over a long period of time.  Reddick has shown improvement in many areas of his game and is still YOUNG and learning.  You may very well be right, Reddick may not be the answer...but just as you point out that we canno't use the sample size in the beginning of the season to get all high on Reddick you can't use a small sample size to get low on him....that would just be hypocritical. You can take stats from any period of time and make them fit your argument, you have to look at the long term horizon, but like i said you may very well be right. I would be careful though, I've seen you over the past couple months bad mouth Reddick a lot, it's as if you hate him.  If he does turn into a star, your going to end up digging the same hole that SOFTY did with Ellsbury.  In terms of defense comparing him to the 35 year old Drew is 100 % appropriate because thats our other option for the playoffs.  Reddick is better than Drew defensively (now)  and i don't think you can submit one shred of evidence to the contrary...you say not to give you the deep zone garbage...well then you tell me what type of statistical analysis or methods YOU use to evaluate a players defense.
    its not even close Drew sucks at the plate but he is still a good d outfielder, Reddick makes mistakes all the time throwing to wrong bases trying to make great catches & lets ball get by him etc.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]Yup, I'll admit, I can't stand Reddick. He looks like Buchholz playing RF. Now admit your man crush on him, and we'll agree to disagree. I serioulsy doubt if I have to worry about him ever becoming a star. He's been up three years, and does the same thing....hot start and some here acting like that's the real deal, and the inevitable fade to black. As Bill Parcells said, "You are what your record says you are". A guy who had a lot of trouble making contact with AAA pitching. He barely broke .200 last season. I go to Pawsox games, and I know what I've seen. Zone rating show Pedroia and Ellsbury at the bottom of their positions in the AL. They're a big crock of crapola. My eyes tell me that. Everyone mentions Reddick is faster than Drew. I don't recall anyone saying Yaz and Dewey were fast, but nobody could touch them as fielders. Crawford is fast. So what?
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

i hope this isn't a convoluted post in praise of nancy drew.
    talk about a man-crush. there's no other reason to defend that monstrous theo mistake.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Hell no! It's kind of the lesser of all evils right now.
    This is something that won't be solved til off season.
    One would hope not through free agency, where Theo's record is abysmal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Hell no! It's kind of the lesser of all evils right now. This is something that won't be solved til off season. One would hope not through free agency, where Theo's record is abysmal.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

well if it isn't through free agency you better hope your wrong about Reddick because RH OF that has potential in our system is far away from being MLB ready (Brentz) is likely 2 years best case scenario and Hassan may be 1 year although many scouts question if he has the ability to perform at the mlb level.  Of course their are other guys like Brandon Jacobs but off the top of my head i don't know if he's LH or RH and he's several years away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

They can make trades, which seem to be Theo's strong point.
    Having Reddick in RF solves zero with the lack of right handed power on this team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]Hell no! It's kind of the lesser of all evils right now. This is something that won't be solved til off season. One would hope not through free agency, where Theo's record is abysmal.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

amen!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again. : well if it isn't through free agency you better hope your wrong about Reddick because RH OF that has potential in our system is far away from being MLB ready (Brentz) is likely 2 years best case scenario and Hassan may be 1 year although many scouts question if he has the ability to perform at the mlb level.  Of course their are other guys like Brandon Jacobs but off the top of my head i don't know if he's LH or RH and he's several years away.

well, if theo takes the cubs job, problem solved.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]They can make trades, which seem to be Theo's strong point. Having Reddick in RF solves zero with the lack of right handed power on this team.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

While I'll agree that a RH power bat is one of the most viable ways to upgrade the offense, I wouldn't say it's a problem...we do lead MLB in almost every offensive category vs. LHP.  Obviously you don't see eye to eye with me on Reddicks potential, I see that he has it, you don't think he does.....I wasn't opposed to packaging him up with another prospect to bring in a top RH bat.  I still think the kid has 30 days left to prove himself.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]They can make trades, which seem to be Theo's strong point. Having Reddick in RF solves zero with the lack of right handed power on this team.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Something to consider, though, is that the 2011 Sox might be showing that right handed power isn't really that important, with a record of 83-52 with only Youk and Pedroia as anything resembling that.  And in the games Youk has missed, they are 19-6.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Phil Plantier had a bigger upside than Reddick, produced better than Reddick offensively. He didn't last too long, neither will Reddick..unless it is as a utility outfielder. That's his Ike Forte. 

Sections
Shortcuts