The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.

We'll see if they come up against a team like the Phils in post season.
    They beat up teams like the Orioles, and have done very well against the Yankees.
    Post season could be another matter, though. Look at the Giants shutting down the vaunted Texas offense last year.
    The Sox have been baffled by some mediocre lefty pitching this season, like Furbush. I know they have a decent record vs. lefty pitchers, but we're not talking about Lee and Hamels.
    All the pretty numbers in the world didn't matter against the superb Giant pitchers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I don't get all the Reddick bashing.....he is going through what all good young players do....once around the league and then pitchers start making adjustments.....you have to give him a chance to see if he can make adjustments also. He is hit alot of hard hit balls right at people and I think he has been very good in RF,considering Fenways RF has always been considered a tough field to play. Last nights miscue on Chavez double was inexperience in knowing the caroms off that wall......and his walk was a key play in our comback, especially after being down 0-2. There is alot to like about this guyas a player.....in the end he may not end up being an everyday OF, but definitely a great half of a Lefty Righty platoon, and being the lefty would mean he would start in 70% of the games

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Theo found Jackson and solved the problem. Guy is lights out v. LHP.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I noticed last night that Reddick has changed his batting stance a bit since he first came up and was hitting everything.  His hands are a bit higher up and further away from his chest and the bat is less vertical.  He used to keep his hands right in by his left shoulder and kind of low.  Looked wrong to me, but he was hitting.  Now he looks better to me, but he is late a lot and getting fooled a lot. 

I am not saying there is necessarily a connection, and I am not sure when the adjustment came because yesterday was the first time I've really seen him bat on TV since the beginning of August...

Anyone else notice the change?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

4 for 4 today.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Reddick is still hitting close to .290 with decent pop and he has outstanding UZR/150 in the OF this year, but some people here can't wait to bash him. I think he looks like a keeper. He's our starting RF next year. Count on it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Here come the "Zombies for Reddick" club.
    He goes 4-4 in a blowout, (3 singles) still doesn't knock in a run, after going a disgraceful .064 in his last SEVEN games, and this guy has him starting RF next year. Amazing stuff.
    Do you understand that he's hitting ,220 since the All-Star game with 11 count em, 11 RBI? He hits .235 with RISP and 2 outs and .255 with runners on base. In other words, he doesn't hit in the clutch. Please don't mention that dunker he hit against the Yankees in July.  Decent pop? That was his first extra base hit in weeks.
    DUH!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

tbrod, you just complained that you're entitled to your opinion on a discussion board, then turn around and attack a very simple comment, "4 x 4 today."  Sure it's a very small sample, but it is a good sign.  A lot of people, me included, have said Reddick ain't dead yet.  You appear to want to bury him while he is still breathing. 

Reddick has changed from previous years.  He's more patient and does in fact look for a pitch to hit.  He has the best arm on the team, and he is pretty mobile in right field.  For this season his batting average is .290, which is way, way better than anyone else (except AGon) who has played RF for the Sox this year.  No one wants to give him RF in 2012.  We're just saying he is probably the best option right now.  We want him to succeed because he looks like the best option.  You appear to want him to fail because you've already made your final judgment on him. 

While I too would like a good righty bat in the OF, not having one is not the end of the world.  Most pitchers are righty, which gives lefty batters the advantage.  Ellsbury has a reverse pivot weak swing, according to Softlaw, but he has still hit 24 dingers hitting from the left side this year.  He has more dingers than AGon or Pedroia or Youk or anyone on the Sox except Ortiz.  Overall, the Sox have a pretty good offense, neck and neck with the Yankees for the best in MLB. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Y'all need to get a grip.  I'm not a Reddck fan, but he was basically in a 13-game slump before tonight.  Pedroia does that once or twice a year.  On another sight, they were burying the guy earlier this year after a few games, then he got hot, and they wanted him to play everyday, even against lefties, then he got into a slump and they want to bury him again.

He has approximately 1/2 season's worth of ABs.  Just relax.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not a Reddck fan, but he was basically in a 13-game slump before tonight. 

Joe, it was longer than 13 games.

After going 2 for his last 17 ABs in July (6 games) and just 1 for his last 13 in his last 5 games in July, he went 16 for 83 in August in 28 games. That's 34 straight games going 18 for100 (.180).

It's still a small sample size, and the jury is still out, but it was more than 13 games, Joe.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Gee, so the luster has worn off Josh Reddick.

No so long ago, I was criticized on this board for saying Reddick was unlikey to be the Sox future RF, and that he was playing over his head.  The troops ralled round me and told me no, Josh was their man even when he slumps.  I tried to remind them last yer, they all annoited Ryan Klaish as thr future RF, to which the reposnse was an equivalent form of "Ryan who?"

Reddick struggled in AA, and then again in AAA.  He had his moments at both levels, too.  But the fact that he struggled there is a very good reason to believe he would struggle in MLB as well.

What he has going for him is that he is cheap, and has had some success at he MLB level.  Since the Sox linuep next year brings back all the key hitters (except potentially Ortiz), it is possible that Reddick stays in the RF picture.  Contrary to what fans think, it actually is not necessary to have All Stars at every position to win... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

First: 9/2/2006
    Last: 9/4/2011
    Gee, so the luster has worn off Josh Reddick.

No so long ago, I was criticized on this board for saying Reddick was unlikely to be the Sox future RF, and that he was playing over his head. The troops ralled round me and told me no, Josh was their man even when he slumps. I tried to remind them last yer, they all annoited Ryan Klaish as thr future RF, to which the reposnse was an equivalent form of "Ryan who?"

Reddick struggled in AA, and then again in AAA. He had his moments at both levels, too. But the fact that he struggled there is a very good reason to believe he would struggle in MLB as well.

What he has going for him is that he is cheap, and has had some success at he MLB level. Since the Sox lineup next year brings back all the key hitters (except potentially Ortiz), it is possible that Reddick stays in the RF picture. Contrary to what fans think, it actually is not necessary to have All Stars at every position to win...

Agreed, you cannot afford to have an allstar at every position. If he hits .280 with 15 homers and plays good defense over a season what more should you ask for? Then again, there always remains the possibility that his body further fills out and he could hit 25 homers and hit .280 in a few years. He is 6'2" and only 180lb. He could fill out to be 195lbs with some more muscle and who knows, he is only 24 years old. His one obvious deficiency(IMO) is that he still swings at too many pitches out of the zone, hopefully he improves.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

It's Reddick in RF, no doubt about it . He's the best we've got. Most of the mistakes he's made have come at Fenway Park. When he plays RF at home he's playing one of the toughest corner outfield positions in the  SHOW. He has a big arm, biggest of all the OF'ers and outfield pretenders on the team. Yes, he has made some mistakes, some throwing mistakes, guys with arm strength like his like to show it off a little bit. Number # Tool in the SHOW is arm strength. He's a right handed thrower that means he can play any position on the diamond. He's 24 yrs. old making .417M learning to play a tough position at the major league level. All the minor league stats are useless now. He'll be judged on how he does at the big league level. He hits at the bottom of the order. He doesn't start against most LH pitchers and may get a swing at a RH reliever. When you're being worked like this it's hard to get into a playing rythym. He'll get there, as the everyday RF'er, too much talent not to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Don't give up on Reddick. The worry is that JD will not stay healthy. Although an overall disappointment, JD has been ok in serious competition. He has a .304 BA in championship series and .200 in division series. However, I still lean toward the veteran in the togh stretch, The guy can help and  he is gone after this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from badgealbert. Show badgealbert's posts

VERY FEW OF YOUR GOOD BATTERS ARE IN THE LINE UP ONE DAY AND OUT THE NEXT. BECOMING A GREAT BATTER OVER NIGHT IS RARE AND HE NEEDS TO PLAY EVERY DAY NO MATTER WHO IS PITCHING . I REMEMBER A FEW YEARS AGO A LOT OF FANS [THEY THINK THEY ARE MANAGERS] WERE TALKING THE SAME WAY ABOUT ELLSBERRY AND LOOK AT HIM NOW. DREWWAS NEVER WHAT THEY EXPECTED HIM TO BE WHEN HE CAME TO BOSTON AND HE IS NOW OVER THE HILL. OF COURSE IF YOU HAVE A MGR LIKE FRANCOMA WHO IS BASICALY A LITTLE LEAGUE MGR. [MUST PLEASE EVERYONE TO HELL WITH THE RESULTS] THEN KEEP ON THE PATH TO WATCHING THE SOX WATCH THE NEXT WORLD SERIES ON T.V.
    BADGE007

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

In Response to Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.:
    VERY FEW OF YOUR GOOD BATTERS ARE IN THE LINE UP ONE DAY AND OUT THE NEXT. BECOMING A GREAT BATTER OVER NIGHT IS RARE AND HE NEEDS TO PLAY EVERY DAY NO MATTER WHO IS PITCHING . I REMEMBER A FEW YEARS AGO A LOT OF FANS [THEY THINK THEY ARE MANAGERS] WERE TALKING THE SAME WAY ABOUT ELLSBERRY AND LOOK AT HIM NOW. DREWWAS NEVER WHAT THEY EXPECTED HIM TO BE WHEN HE CAME TO BOSTON AND HE IS NOW OVER THE HILL. OF COURSE IF YOU HAVE A MGR LIKE FRANCOMA WHO IS BASICALY A LITTLE LEAGUE MGR. [MUST PLEASE EVERYONE TO HELL WITH THE RESULTS] THEN KEEP ON THE PATH TO WATCHING THE SOX WATCH THE NEXT WORLD SERIES ON T.V. BADGE007
    Posted by badgealbert

FRNCOMA DOES PRETTY GOOD THOUGH HUH WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE RECORD W-L AND THE WORLD SERIES WINS.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

OK..THIS IS NOT A REPLY...SO YOU HOPEFULLY WON'T
    DELETE ME. I SAID THE SOX WILL BE 8 OUT BY THE
    END OF THE MONTH, AND THE SLIDE HAS ALREADY
    BEGUN. TONITE, SUNDAY 9/4 WE ARE 1 1/2 OUT &
    IT AIN'T GONNA GET BETTER. WE HAVE TOO MANY
    SINGLES HITTERS AND A SOFT UNDERBELLY TO THE
    LINEUP. SALTY, CRAWFORD, SCUTARO, AVILES,
    VARITEK, JACKSON....ARE A JOKE !! THIS IS NOT A
    PLAYOFF WINNING TEAM. YOU SHUT DOWN THE
    FIRST 4 OR 5 GUYS AND YOU BEAT THE SOX.
    A GON , DESPITE THE AVG., IS JUST NOT A THREAT
    AGAINST AL PITCHERS. THEY WILL LET HIM HIT
    ALL THE SINGLES AND DOUBLES HE WANTS TO.
    MEANWHILE, TEIXEIRA, CANO, GRANDERSON AND
    SWISH AND A ROD WILL HIT IT DEEP IN THEIR
    BANDBOX. WE ONLY HAVE TWO PITCHERS....
    BECKETT AND LESTER...THE REST JUST PLAIN
    STINK....THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO PUT IT.
    YOUR EYES DON'T LIE !! WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT
    YOU GET. WE LOSE 2/3 TO THE YANKS AND TEXAS.
    THAT'S WHAT THE SEASON IS ABOUT NOW.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I like Reddick but he appears to be yet another left handed bat who has trouble with left handed pitching. You get ahead of him in the count and he's a sucker for breaking balls in the dirt or out of the zone, Maybe he'll learn to shorten up that long (Nava-like) swing when he's behind in the count and he won't get fooled so often.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Plus he absolutely STINKS with men on base, and 2 outs and men on.
    As for a good arm being the number one criteria in THE SHOW,(watch a lot of Bull Durham?) I can think of a whole bunch of outfielders who have had long carrers and mediocre arms.
    Johnny Damon, Juan Pierre, Coco Crisp, Ellsbury and on and on. The ability to get to the ball is paramount for any OF prospect. A nice arm is a luxury, but definitely needed in this RF at Fenway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

i believe he needs to put on ten lbs. of muscle in the off season and with this years playing time he may really surprize next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Am I the only one who rarely reads posts that are all capiltaized?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

NO!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Moon, capital letters in emails and posts represents yelling, as you know.
    I pass them by, too.
    Also, if a guy is going on 25 years old and is a professional athlete and hasn't put the time in to get his body in optimum condition, what does that really say?
    I'm sure coaches and the front office have made suggestions.
    Who in professional sports, other than golfers and soccer players, weighs 180lbs. at 6'2"?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

tbrod.......You're trying to say something here. Enlighten us. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.:
    I'm not a Reddck fan, but he was basically in a 13-game slump before tonight.  Joe, it was longer than 13 games. After going 2 for his last 17 ABs in July (6 games) and just 1 for his last 13 in his last 5 games in July, he went 16 for 83 in August in 28 games. That's 34 straight games going 18 for100 (.180). It's still a small sample size, and the jury is still out, but it was more than 13 games, Joe.  
    Posted by moonslav59

I kind of picked that for a point.  In his previous 28 starts, before the 13-game period, he had a .767 OPS.  It kind of goes to highlight the issues of dealing with such tiny sample sizes.  I really don't think there is much evidence at all to make any conclusions.  This happens every day in here, and I guess in most sites.

Any 10-game stretch by a hitter, and any 2-game stretch by an SP, seems like enough to make definitive calls by some people.  I'm not impressed, but he certainly has the ability to make a good platoon player at minimum wage.  And it's just my opinion that if you could get two good platoon players at cheap prices, you'd have pretty decent production at a real cheap price.

Sections
Shortcuts