The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.

We have a right fielder. What we need is a manager who knows what a right fielder looks like.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

No, what is needed is a GM who knows what an OUTFIELD should look like, and not all lefties, either.
    Never in Sox history has there been an all lefty OF for an entire season.
    This team has so little right handed power, it's pathetic. They have been shut down for entire games by left handed pitching, espcially lately.
    Don't give me stats on beating up the Orioles, and other lousy pitching staffs.
    Tampa Bay, Texas, and the Phils, have all made crickets of the Sox lineup.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In Response to Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.:
    [QUOTE]No, what is needed is a GM who knows what an OUTFIELD should look like, and not all lefties, either. Never in Sox history has there been an all lefty OF for an entire season. This team has so little right handed power, it's pathetic. They have been shut down for entire games by left handed pitching, espcially lately. Don't give me stats on beating up the Orioles, and other lousy pitching staffs. Tampa Bay, Texas, and the Phils, have all made crickets of the Sox lineup.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]
    As you may recall, I'm a Reddick cheerleader. But I AM almost furious that the best Theo could come up with was Conor Jackson and Mike Aviles, or Joey Gathwright !
    I began season thinking( since disappeared ) Cuban kid Juan Carlos Linares might win platoon job, or we'd pick up a r/h bat by trade. No such luck. Maybe we sign Cuddyer in off-season, but no help NOW. And if Texas lefties can shut us down, what will Hamels & Cliff Lee do in a world series matchup ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]No, what is needed is a GM who knows what an OUTFIELD should look like, and not all lefties, either. Never in Sox history has there been an all lefty OF for an entire season. This team has so little right handed power, it's pathetic. They have been shut down for entire games by left handed pitching, espcially lately. Don't give me stats on beating up the Orioles, and other lousy pitching staffs. Tampa Bay, Texas, and the Phils, have all made crickets of the Sox lineup.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

The outfield may be all lefthanded batters...but that's 3 of 9 hitters, and only two of them are actualy left handed in the outfield...Reddick is a right handed thrower. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Umm, yeah, sure.......

Here's one for you Reddick fans.
    He has 59 hits this season. Of those 59 hits, 37 are with nobody on base. 17 hits leading off an inning.
    Only FOUR hits with 2 outs and men in scoring position.
    Does that bother any of you? He's still stuck on 11 RBI since the All-Star break.
    I've seen 3 Sox players knock in 10 runs in a single game!
    He has a .392 Slugging percentage! That's an OBP for a good hitter.
    People knock AGon for hitting only singles since the break. At least he has 26 RBI since the break. OK, that's awful, too.
    Yet, "The People's Choice", Reddick, goes unscathed by the media and some here. In fact he has one good game and "Whew! He's back!"
    Amazing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Guys, softy said Reddick was "the real deal", so he must be.

(Of course last year he blasted boom for being so high on Josh.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I think Reddick is for real. He only had 60+ PA's in 2009, and again in 2010.
    This is really his first solid exposure and in that context, he's done well.
    How many RF'ers with such limited experience have done better for Boston?

He has an .816 OPS and might end up hitting .300.

As for his supposed inability to hit southpaws, he's hitting .294 against them this year with an .810 OPS.

He has a .278 career Minor league BA with an .832 OPS.
    The game is about making adjustments, and I say he has the ability to make them at any level and will be a FT player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hope you are right harness, I really do, but if he was a horse, would you bet on him?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yes, I would Moon. And I'd likely get better odds than expected.
    The only question with Reddick is his motivation. He has the tools.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Just for the record...I'm not saying Reddick is the man for the RF job, and never did.  I just thought he had potential.....and I still do think he has potential.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

I love how the Reddick worshippers point to his slump as a "small sample", but wanted to put up a statue to him. based on his July performance.
    Sorry, you can't have it both ways.
    He STINKS with men on base, and all but 22 of his hits came with nobody on or leading off an inning. He totally panics with runners in scoring position and starts swinging like he's chopping through a swamp with a machete. Takes that big hack and usually pops up. Fact.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Rando question: is tbrod a confirmed Softy alias?  His use of hyperbole to counter what he considers to be others' hyperbole PLUS the reliance on SSS split stats when overall stats don't fit his view of reality sure sound a lot like the SoftOne.

FWIW, I am not convinced Reddick is the Sox RF'er of the future.  I'd love to see the Sox pick up a good RH OFer with 25+ HR power.  Even if that doesn't happen, Kalish is still out there despite his lost year.  But any reasonable baseball observer can see that Reddick has done pretty well for a 24 year old ... especially one that had such a rough time in prior call-ups.  He may never be a starter but he definitely has the tools to be one and I wouldn't bet on him NOT making it.  Whether or not it is with the Sox is a different question.  I for one would not be surprised in the least to see him as part of a trade package in the off-season.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see him starting RF on opening day 2012.  Who knows?

Reddick 2011 (and his L/R splits are pretty even):
    AB 2B 3B HR AVG OBP SLG OPS
    209 15 3 6 .292 .342 .478 .820

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]He STINKS with men on base, and all but 22 of his hits came with nobody on or leading off an inning.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

For the record, here are his actual situational stats.  Yeah, I'd like more hits with RISP+2out, but he's only had 18 ABs in that situation so if he had just ONE more hit in his 18ABs he'd be at about .280.  This is the definition of SSS so um, whatever dude.

AB AVG OPS
     Bases Empty 124 .306 .866
     Runners On 85 .271 .755
     RISP 53 .264 .695
     RISP w/2 Outs 18 .222 .633
     Bases Loaded 7 .286 .651

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

So? You made my point. He stinks with people on base. His predominant BA is with NOBODY ON BASE!
    Every other stat he is well below his season batting average.
    Point made.
    No, I'm not Softy, and his insane jealousy of Jacoby. I think an ex girl friend had a crush on Ells, and Softy hates him for that.
    He also took a shot at Moneyball and Brad Pitt, so maybe the same scenario.
    I always figured Softy looks like Chris Farley.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Tbrod makes a good argument, the sample size is to small during his succesful months, unfortunately it's also to small to judge his recent struggles.   You can't use a small sample size to make an argument while ignoring another small sample size the states the obvious.

Reddick has come back down to earth as I expected to him too....and then a little further, although he has looked a lot better the last couple games.  Time will be the ultimate judge....haters be damned. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

"You made my point. He stinks with people on base"
    Actually, he's got a .271 AVG with runners on base.  All the other stats are too small sample to be worth anything (probably ALL the stats are, but that's all we've got to work with for now).  If he gets another 400 ABs and is still .222 with RISP+2out, then we'll talk.  

"He has a .392 Slugging percentage!"
    At what point this season has Reddick had a SLG percentage this low?

For the moment, he's doing just fine for a 24yo.  Yes, people were too high on him during his red hot month ... fans always are when a prospect comes out smoking hot.  Get over it.  There's nothing here to show he stinks ... yet.  Maybe there will be and maybe there won't.  It's too early to call him the next star or the next washout.  All the record shows for now is that he's done a pretty good job as a 24yo filling in for "injured" Drew.

Now, maybe you really aren't Softy, but there's evidence that suggests to me you are.  You are railing against what you consider "the people's choice" (issues with popularity?), then you derailed the Cliff Lee thread to b1tch about Crawford.  Not to mention your use of captious SSS stats when someone's overall stats don't mesh with your opinion.  Stylistically you sure as heck sound like Softy.  I could be wrong ... your posts are a small sample size after all.Innocent

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Fun with SSS: 
    This player is hitting over .300, but with RISP+2outs he is hitting just .203.  Who is the player?  It's Mr. Clutch: David Ortiz.  Should we bench him or give him the MVP?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Since the All-Star game!  Look at the splits.
    24 years isn't a baby. Tony C had a home run championship at 20 and starting AL RF at age 22. Fred Lynn was MVP at age 23. Dewey Evans came up at 20 and never went back to the minors.
    24 is actually on the cusp of a player no longer being considered a prospect.
    As for the Lee thread, money spent on the waste in LF could have been used to lure Lee here. The absurdity of the Crawford signing is so profound in its domino affect on the OF and money that could have been more wisely spent elsewhere.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Yes , I would Moon . And I'd likely get better odds than expected. The only question with Reddick is his motivation. He has the tools.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I meant even odds: he makes it and is successful or he doesn't.

My bet would be on he becomes a very capable platoon RF'er who fileds very well and throws well too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Since the All-Star makes more sense, but it's still SSS.  He is now at .399 post AS.  If his next hit is a HR, his SLG jumps to .423 in one swing.  I'm not predicting this will happen, just pointing out the implications of the sample size.  Yes, he's been streaky so we take the good with the bad.

Tony, Fred and Dewey played in a different era and were stars ... bad comparisons IMO.  In the present environment, a 24yo who is vying for a starting spot on a top team is doing well.  Plus, you are arguing against those who think Reddick is a lock to be a superstar.  There is a middle ground between confirmed star and confirmed bust.  You are making as bad an error as those who thought he was the second coming.  

Like CT-Hugh said, you can't chose one SSS to make your point and just ignore the other SSS even exists.  At this point, we don't know.  My best guess is that the truth is somewhere between the two.  Maybe his bad August stats are the "real" Reddick ... then again, maybe his overall season stats are.  We'll have to wait to find out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Since the All-Star game!  Look at the splits. 24 years isn't a baby. Tony C had a home run championship at 20 and starting AL RF at age 22. Fred Lynn was MVP at age 23. Dewey Evans came up at 20 and never went back to the minors. 24 is actually on the cusp of a player no longer being considered a prospect. As for the Lee thread, money spent on the waste in LF could have been used to lure Lee here. The absurdity of the Crawford signing is so profound in its domino affect on the OF and money that could have been more wisely spent elsewhere.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Agree with you about Lee, but he wanted to go back to the Phillies.  If he hadn't he probably would have resigned with Texas.  I really don't believe he would have ended up with the Red Sox or the Yankees. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

I never said Reddick was the real deal, you old senile sot.

I siad Reddick would crash from small sample and would be a likely lower OBP and weak to average career average pop, but that Crawford mortgage means that Kalish and Reddick should move up and Ellsbury should be traded out and a Kemp profile should be added long term. And that is exactly what should have already been done before now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again. : I meant even odds: he makes it and is successful or he doesn't. My bet would be on he becomes a very capable platoon RF'er who fileds very well and throws well too.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I think I should definitely get better than even money, at least back in 2009, when I saw him as Drew's replacement, despite his raw, developing tools.

When Jake/Murphy/Brandon Moss were a highly touted potential outfield in AAA, I saw Murphy as you now see Reddick:platoon player. Jake was the obvious sticker.

I see Reddick as Boston's future RF'er.
    If I'm right, and if the farm replaces Jake (assuming he opts for FA), which is a distinct possibility, then the cost of this outfield once Jake moves on will be less than last year's cost, without Crawford. And I'll bet it'll be more productive than2010's outfield. Obviously, it's not a fair comparison given Jake's injury, but consider 2012:
    CC/Jake/Reddick could be very productive at a cost not far from Drew/Cam/Jake.

BTW: Nice job getting Softy on record with Reddick. I did the same getting him to do the very internet research he denounced. Where was his research on 43%fat city?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Everyone knows about ADG. You can set your watch with his chronic pessimism but yet such negative threads draw all of the traffic. Why is that? Does it reflect on the nature of the forum? What else draws so many flies. Clue: It's found in a barnyard.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Since the All-Star game!  Look at the splits. 24 years isn't a baby. Tony C had a home run championship at 20 and starting AL RF at age 22. Fred Lynn was MVP at age 23. Dewey Evans came up at 20 and never went back to the minors. 24 is actually on the cusp of a player no longer being considered a prospect. As for the Lee thread, money spent on the waste in LF could have been used to lure Lee here. The absurdity of the Crawford signing is so profound in its domino affect on the OF and money that could have been more wisely spent elsewhere.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

You're getting way too far ahead of yourself.  Prorated over 600 ABs, his post-ASB numbers project to 16 HRs and .250.  the difference between that and good stats might be two balls that died on the warning track.  Like I said, I'm not a Reddck fan and would trade him for value, but you look like your desperately scrounging for numbers to back your position, and they just aren't there.

Sections
Shortcuts