The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.

Here is how I see it. We need a solid fielding RF, hopefully with a great arm, in Fenway to be optimized as a team. Reddick fits that description. Better than Kalish does. That's why we signed Drew, for his OBP and his defense in RF. His OPS was solid but if he didn't field extremely well would Theo have pulled the trigger on Drew? I seriously doubt it. Drew was a huge injury risk. Theo knew he needed solid defense in RF and that made the difference in that signing.

Reddick is not Bryce Harper or Mike Trout but he's a great fit overall. He might well give us offensive numbers similar to Drew's, at a $400,000 to $450,000 cost for several more years and then be a real bargain for us also in his "prime" years. There is a shortage of quality OF talent available. To get someone better would be expensive. Reddick fits the need for this team better than Kalish, Hassan...etc. If he doesn't cut it we still have some others like Kalish and Hassan who might be able to help. In 2 years we have the cavalry coming in Brentz, Jacobs and guys like Bradley. I'd much rather spend whatever money we have available for other slots in the lineup going forward.

A couple years ago, Reddick was reputed as being possibly THE BEST OF ARM in MILB. His defense is underated. We haven't seen the best of Reddick defensively yet. As he settles into the job we will see more OF assists from this guy than we do from any other OF on the team. He can rob HR also with his vertical leap and timing. The guy is a better fielder than has been advertised. He gets rid of the ball twice as fast as Ellsbury ( watch and see ). Last I looked he had a Plus 26 UZR/150 in the OF this year. He can play any OF position. He's a solid resource on this team and he's dirt cheap.

Lot's of teams would absolutely love to have Reddick. He's not Brandon Moss or David Murphy. He's clearly a step up. I also don't get the motivation issue that is raised. If anything, this kid has tried TOO HARD to succeed. That was the problem. He was TOO ANXIOUS. Too anxious to get a hit. Too anxious to hit HR. He is clearly playing with a lot more patience and he has made good contact against curveballs and off speed stuff, where maybe he struggled with that in the past, for example in today's HR. That ball wasn't even in the strike zone and he hit it out with a defensive swing.

As most of you know, his dad was a big baseball fan who was severely electrocuted on a pole with high voltage. Hurt his hands very badly. One was unuseable if I remember correctly. This guy is living his Dad's dream and he had unbelievable pressure on him coming up. His problem is not motivation.

I think he's gonna make it. I want him on my team. What they should do now is send him to the Arizona Performance Institute and they will do for him what they did for Youk, Pedroia and Ellsbury. He can put more muscle on his bones but he is not a weak sister. He has decent present power but probably develops more over time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: The Red Sox Need a Right Fielder, Reddick is Reddick again.:
    [QUOTE]Here is how I see it. We need a solid fielding RF, hopefully with a great arm, in Fenway to be optimized as a team. Reddick fits that description. Better than Kalish does. That's why we signed Drew, for his OBP and his defense in RF. His OPS was solid but if he didn't field extremely well would Theo have pulled the trigger on Drew? I seriously doubt it. Drew was a huge injury risk. Theo knew he needed solid defense in RF and that made the difference in that signing. Reddick is not Bryce Harper or Mike Trout but he's a great fit overall. He might well give us offensive numbers similar to Drew's, at a $400,000 to $450,000 cost for several more years and then be a real bargain for us also in his "prime" years. There is a shortage of quality OF talent available. To get someone better would be expensive. Reddick fits the need for this team better than Kalish, Hassan...etc. If he doesn't cut it we still have some others like Kalish and Hassan who might be able to help. In 2 years we have the cavalry coming in Brentz, Jacobs and guys like Bradley. I'd much rather spend whatever money we have available for other slots in the lineup going forward. A couple years ago, Reddick was reputed as being possibly THE BEST OF ARM in MILB. His defense is underated. We haven't seen the best of Reddick defensively yet. As he settles into the job we will see more OF assists from this guy than we do from any other OF on the team. He can rob HR also with his vertical leap and timing. The guy is a better fielder than has been advertised. He gets rid of the ball twice as fast as Ellsbury ( watch and see ). Last I looked he had a Plus 26 UZR/150 in the OF this year. He can play any OF position. He's a solid resource on this team and he's dirt cheap. Lot's of teams would absolutely love to have Reddick. He's not Brandon Moss or David Murphy. He's clearly a step up. I also don't get the motivation issue that is raised. If anything, this kid has tried TOO HARD to succeed. That was the problem. He was TOO ANXIOUS. Too anxious to get a hit. Too anxious to hit HR. He is clearly playing with a lot more patience and he has made good contact against curveballs and off speed stuff, where maybe he struggled with that in the past, for example in today's HR. That ball wasn't even in the strike zone and he hit it out with a defensive swing. As most of you know, his dad was a big baseball fan who was severely electrocuted on a pole with high voltage. Hurt his hands very badly. One was unuseable if I remember correctly. This guy is living his Dad's dream and he had unbelievable pressure on him coming up. His problem is not motivation. I think he's gonna make it. I want him on my team. What they should do now is send him to the Arizona Performance Institute and they will do for him what they did for Youk, Pedroia and Ellsbury. He can put more muscle on his bones but he is not a weak sister. He has decent present power but probably develops more over time.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Boom: I used the term motivation for the lack of a better one. I don't doubt his skill-set one iota. But I think, like many gifted individuals, he is a bit cocky and seems like a player  who will always be in search of a challenge. That's why "motivation" came to mind. I don't see a consistent career for him, in that it'll be spotty: brilliance mixed with head-shaking meltdowns.

Some players are only at their best when they feel they have something to prove. Maybe that explains his anxious moments. This is obviously conjecture on my part. Nothing more.
    Playing in Boston isn't easy, and players' issues will be magnified.
    Kalish, for example, looks to me to always go all out. Like a mad-dog Beltre approach. Once he was exposed last year, he couldn't make the necessary adjustments. Doesn't mean he isn't able to, but I think the mindset varies between the two in that Reddick might "see more" and thus be able to adjust quicker.

I also think Reddick will have a much better chance to stay healthier than Kalish, which is important.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

So like I was saying, if Reddicks hits a HR in his next AB ... lol.  Of course, the bases were empty, though, so kudos to Tbrod on that one.  Still, way to go kid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Yeah, a clutch hit with the score 13-0. "The best arm in MLB"???? Where did that come from? Are we making stuff up as we go along? If he's such a stud, then why did Sean McAdam report during deadline week that there was little interest by other teams in Reddick? Why didn't San Diego grab him in the AGon deal? Seems that their GM might know a bit about your hero. Why is Tito saying they need JD Drew to win? Why is Darnell McDonald out performing him, despite less than half Reddick's at bats?
    This team needs a right handed hitting, full time RF for 2012. Period.
    Now somebody mentioned his tender age of 24. I mentioned several Sox legends who were much younger and had accomplished great things.
    I was told that "that was a different era....."
    Well, some guys now are college products, and a bit older by the time they reach MLB, but, I did a little research and here are just a few players and ages when they made the Majors for good:
    Nick Markakis - 21, Adam Jones-21, Vlad Guerrero -21, Evan Longoria-21, BJ Upton-21, Miguel Cabrera-19 (and starting in a World Series-hit a homer off Clemens) Joe Mauer-21, Adrian Beltre-19, Matt Kemp-21, Freddie Freeman is 21 and possible ROY in the NL, Jason Heyward started on the NL All-Star team last year at 20 years old, Mike Stanton-20, David Wright-21, Ryan Zimmerman-20,
    Starlin Castro-20, Jay Bruce-21, Aramis Ramirez-20, Prince Fielder-21, Albert Pujols -21, and Justin Upton 20.
    That's not mentioning a boatload of others, but the point is, there are many players making their mark sooner than 24.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, a clutch hit with the score 13-0. "The best arm in MLB"???? Where did that come from? Are we making stuff up as we go along? This team needs a right handed hitting RF. Period. Now somebody mentioned his tender age of 24. I mentioned several Sox legends who were much younger and had accomplished great things. I was told that "that was a different era....." Well, some guys now are college products, and a bit older by the time they reach MLB, but, I did a little research and here are just a few players and ages when they made the Majors for good: Nick Markakis - 21, Adam Jones-21, Vlad Guerrero -21, Evan Longoria-21, BJ Upton-21, Miguel Cabrera-19 (and starting in a World Series-hit a homer off Clemens) Joe Mauer-21, Adrian Beltre-19, Matt Kemp-21, Freddie Freeman is 21 and possible ROY in the NL, Jason Heyward started on the NL All-Star team last year at 20 years old, Mike Stanton-20, David Wright-21, Ryan Zimmerman-20, Starlin Castro-20, Jay Bruce-21, Aramis Ramirez-20, Prince Fielder-21, Albert Pujols -21, and Justin Upton 20. That's not mentioning a boatload of others, but the point is, there are many players making their mark sooner than 24.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

I'm glad UR already comparing Reddick to RedSox legends.
    Reddick has a total of 330 career at bats...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

My obvious point was, there were guys a hell of a lot younger, who did great things at an age when Reddick was riding busses in single A. Who'd you want me to mention, Gary Geiger?
    It was in answer to someone saying Reddick was doing well for 24 years old, which is an absurd statement.
    He's this year's Daniel Nava, nothing more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]My obvious point was, there were guys a hell of a lot younger, who did great things at an age when Reddick was riding busses in single A. Who'd you want me to mention, Gary Geiger? It was in answer to someone saying Reddick was doing well for 24 years old, which is an absurd statement. He's this year's Daniel Nava, nothing more.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

I'll remember this statement.
    Consider it earmarked.

Nava 2010:       161 AB's  .242 BA  .711 OPS
    Reddick 2011: 209 AB's  .292 BA  .820 OPS 

Show me how many RF'ers in RedSox history that have been more successful than Reddick with 330 career at bats in the majors. Age is not the relevant point. M.L. experience is. Neither Geiger nor Evans were better in 330 AB's. Only Conigliaro comes to mind over the last 40+ years that was an instant hit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

You win. He's the new Josh Hamilton. He shouldn't play the rest of his career.
    He's the best there ever was in Boston. Nobody since Tony C can touch him. He's way better than Dewey.
    Whatever......................
    Look up Trot Nixon. In his first season, he had 381 at bats,51 more than you wonderkind, and he had 15 homers and 56 RBI with 67 runs scored with a .487 SP and an .830 OPS. TROT NIXON buries him!
    You think Reddick will hit 7 homers and knock in 40 runs in his next 51 at bats? It's called PRODUCTION. Reddick doesn't produce. Also Trot was clutch.
    Slam dunk!
    Next!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I did look up Trot Nixon. I suggest you take a deeper look. Slam dunk? PRODUCTION? Clutch?
    In Trot's first 330 M. L. AB's, he had 10 homers  40 RBI's.
    Reddick has 9 HRs and 35 RBI.

Trot was a first round pick nation wide. Was Reddick? Wouldn't you think such a comparison whould heavily favor Trot? It doesn't.
    Trot only out-hit Reddick at the same juncture by about 20 points.
    BUT, in Trot's first "full" season in Boston, at the same point Reddick is at in his first legit season in Boston, Reddick outhit Trot by the same margin.

Furthermore, In Trot's 1999 season, he had 3 HRS  21 RBI .263 after 209 AB's.
    After 209 AB's this year for Reddick, he's hitting over .290 with 6 HR  26 RBI.

Trot hit .221 with RISP in 1999. Reddick is hitting .265 with RISP this year.
    So much for clutch.

Hindsight is nice, but the truth is, Trot was seen as a player that up to the point in question didn't rise to expectation. So, don't sell Reddick short. He is doing well given his limited exposure - as well as Trot or most any other RF'ers you can come up with since Tony C.
    Trot spent more time in the minors - appx. 400 more AB's, yet only had 3 more homers than Reddick in his minor league tenure. This should give you a window into further potential PRODUCTION.

I'm not putting Trot down. He was a personal favorite of mine. I'm trying to point out that first impressions aren't always accurate.

As for the sarcasm, you were the one who compared Reddick to Boston legends. Not me. I said I think he'll be the Boston RF'er of the future. I'm not saying he'll have a career similar to one player or another. I'm saying he's a legit talent that needs playing time to refine his skill-set. He may end up out-PRODUCING Trot by the time it's all said and done.

The only valid comparisons are the ones made at the jucture of where Reddick is currently.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Where Drew is still really solid is he doesn't get solid reads and good jumps, he gets excellent ones. His arm isn't quite as strong but then again he's pretty accurate. Drew's defense has always been like the rest of his game, not a lot of flash to it. Reddick is really good but a couple of times a week you'll see him turn chicken pooh into chicken salad when he gets cross footed or slightly mis-positioned on a play. Drew in large part because of his experience in fundamentally solid IMO.That said too much was made of the Reddick HOF start and too much is made of the Reddick BUST August. This is a young player who will have ups and downs and the expectation is for him to be a bottom third of the order hitter who makes the plays in the field. Beware of 30 day sample sets. This year they have told us that Pedey was through, neither of our catchers could hit a lick and that A-Gon was a singles hitter. IMO RF isn't as big an issue for the balance of the season or the post season a how well the rotation performs and whether Albers can get back on track or Wheeler can emerge as the guy in front of Bard. If the object of the OP is to point out that Reddick's June-July was a short sample set misread, point taken.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Drew is aging out, and although still very much a pro, I hope Tito doesn't envision J. D. coming back to '09 form. What we have is one player in his last M. L. season, and another in his first full-time M. L. season. Do ya go with experience or talent largely untapped IMO.

It's a tough call, but I think it should now be Reddick's job to lose, since he won it from Drew early on. And as a point of reference, Drew was no more successful than Reddick at similar points in their careers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Drew was no more successful than Reddick at similar points in their careers.                     

Drew is washed up and was a terrible slackard who had a medicore career and provided terrible vaue. Reddick is ahead of Drew at the same age, and Drew, like DiceK, has been on the DL every year of his career. Fortunately, the Red Sox have Reddick and Ellsbury and Crawford, with Ellsbury having a year that Drew's best year was far below. Drew was a reserve AS who lucked into MVP AS award, and Reddick is superior defender and has a better arm.

Reddick is ready for post season, and Drew should not be on post season roster.

Harness had 2009 Red Sox winning 100 games, and Agon selling tickets in San Diego.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Dice wasn't on the the DL every year? R U 43% sure?
    Can you validate this please.

Don't forget the O's projection.
    It'll rival UR Reddick one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Great post, Boomer. Red Sox don't need another OF'er. Crawford, Ellsbury and Reddick will form one of the best OF's in MLB, for many years to come.

Send Reddick to API and you get a guy who will hit 30 hr and form a great Red Sox OF for many years to come. Reddick and Crawford and Ellsbury are all better than Drew ever was, and a Rh OF is too expensive and not worth it and Varitek and Wakefield need to be resigned because the farm needs another 5 years to find a player who can beat this experienced professionals out.

Reddick is a great story who comes from backwoods of GA. Bradley, Jr comes from backwoods of SC but needs many years to be ready. For Reddick and Bradley and Kalish, Ellsbury shoes are simply too big to fill so expect the Red Sox to trade some of these guys, as Red Sox OF is set for many great years from Ellsbury and Crawford, both well on their way to becoming all-time Red Sox greats.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Softy, have you been up all night drinking?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lot's of teams would absolutely love to have Reddick. He's not Brandon Moss or David Murphy.
     He's clearly a step up.

Defensively yes, but on offense, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up like Murphy. I'm not convince by a super small sample size that Josh can hit lefties. Tito is still sitting him vs almost all of them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

From 2008 to 2010 J.D. Drew was arguably (UZR rating) the 3rd best defensive right fielder in baseball trailing only Ichiro Suzuki and Hunter Pence, albeit by quite a large margin.  That was his real strength when he played.  Today, Nick Swisher using the UZR metric is the top right fielder defensively in the game, not by much, and Brett Gardner is unquestionably the best defensive left fielder.   Not surprisingly, this year Jacoby Ellsbury has been the top defensive center fielder in the game. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Lot's of teams would absolutely love to have Reddick. He's not Brandon Moss or David Murphy.  He's clearly a step up. Defensively yes, but on offense, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up like Murphy. I'm not convince by a super small sample size that Josh can hit lefties. Tito is still sitting him vs almost all of them.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

One of the few posts on this thread without a lot of hyperbole.  Reddick is a ML player, I think he has proven that.  But yeah offensively I see a guy that could start in a small market team and hit 250-260 and hit 15 to 20 homers.  I also see a guy who on a bad year would hit 230 with 12 homers.  He simply isn't the long term answer.  Kalish will beat him out next year regardless.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Nice discussion all round.Call me an optimist, but I see Reddick possibly developing into a left-handed Dewey, one of my favourite all-time Sox players.
    Probably fewer walks and assists, but more stolen bases.

Right now we'd all be happy with a .260-.290 BA, 16-23 HR, etc. type in RF.
    But it WOULD be better if could find some r/h power to balance lineup; Cuddyer as free agent, or a big trade.

Long term r/h power could come from Brentz (of), Middlebrooks(3b), or Xander Bogaerts@ ss.Plus Lavarnway if he can play catcher. I think Ryan should get as much work in behind plate as possible in next 3 weeks, auditioning for 2nd catcher role for 2012.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]Reddick is ready for post season, and Drew should not be on post season roster.  
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]
    ^^^I could support this.  I mean, I'd rather have Drew on the roster than not have him but if it's Drew or Reddick, I'll take Reddick.

I never thought I'd say this but excellent post Softy. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]
    1- Why is Darnell McDonald out performing him, despite less than half Reddick's at bats?
    >>DMac is outperforming Reddick??? The only thing I can find that puts him ahead (and not by enough to matter given SSS) is if you only look at post-AS #'s .  Going with post-AS only is like saying let's compare one players hot streak to the others cold streak ... and on those terms the comparison isn't flattering to DMac in the least (though I do like him if only for what he did for this team last year).  Check out DMac RISP+2 outs stats since you seem to like these so much.

2 - This team needs a right handed hitting, full time RF for 2012.
    >>I don't disagree with this.  I guess it will depend on who can be had and for how much.  If value can be had, I'd trade Reddick for an equivalent RH OF'er without qualms (or throw in  a couple more prospects for an upgrade).  If a good value can't be found, as things stand right now I'd be comfortable starting 2012 with Reddick in RF with the understanding we could make a mid-season trade if he stinks it up.

3 - Now somebody mentioned his tender age of 24 ... I did a little research and here are just a few players and ages when they made the Majors for good: Nick Markakis - 21, Adam Jones-21, Vlad Guerrero -21, Evan Longoria-21, BJ Upton-21, Miguel Cabrera-19 (and starting in a World Series-hit a homer off Clemens) Joe Mauer-21, Adrian Beltre-19, Matt Kemp-21, Freddie Freeman is 21 and possible ROY in the NL, Jason Heyward started on the NL All-Star team last year at 20 years old, Mike Stanton-20, David Wright-21, Ryan Zimmerman-20, Starlin Castro-20, Jay Bruce-21, Aramis Ramirez-20, Prince Fielder-21, Albert Pujols -21, and Justin Upton 20. That's not mentioning a boatload of others, but the point is, there are many players making their mark sooner than 24.
    >>I never said no one makes it younger.  I just said that in the present day, a 24yo vying for a starting spot on a top team is doing well.  This is especially true if said prospect isn't a "can't miss" top of the draft player.  All the players you mention have one thing in common: they are stars.  I, and many others here, haven't claimed Reddick is a star.  I think he is starter material and I think he has a pretty good chance to fulfill that potential.  Maybe with the Sox (say IDK, 25% chance ... see #2) or more likely with another team (~40%).

4 - It's called PRODUCTION. Reddick doesn't produce.
    >>Um, really?  Would you like a +defense RF'er who has this line for the season:
    AVG=.295  2B's=45  3B's=9 HR=21  RBI=75  R=110 ... all from the 6-8 spot?
    That's what Reddick's 2011 numbers look like if normalized for 600AB's ... not saying he has a snowballs chance of doing that next season, but you wanted to use stats so have at it.  Personally, I see a guy who is likely to be .250 - .285 with 30-40 2B's and about 20HR's.  Plus the possible upside to do better ... which seems like a pretty good deal for $400k and clearly doesn't suck.

Bottom line, your stance seems to be this: he isn't a star, therefore, clearly sucks.  Not sure I can make much sense of that.

PS - You are sounding more and more like Softy:
    "Now somebody mentioned his tender age of 24"
    Next you'll be telling me I am a typical racist Boston fan because I think Reddick should start over DMac.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Rod, I said M  I   L  B . That stands for Minor league baseball and yes some analysts put his arm in that category. He has a strong arm and it's quite accurate. Add a quick release and the guy is going to throw out runners.

Kalish might well have a similar career overall but Reddick is a better fit in Fenway IMO. We need that arm in RF ideally.

Personally, I'll go out on a limb and say Reddick probably ends up with a slightly better overall career than Nixon had. Nixon had one great year but we loved him because he was a true dirt dog. When we compare Reddick's career to Nixon's it is very hard to project of course and standard probability would indicate that Nixon's career is probably better but I believe that Reddick has the overall ability and drive to have a better career. 

Some here are writing him off and it appears that I am canonizing him I guess. He is likely to end up somewhere between those 2 points but I think the overall tool set is outstanding. I think he's a keeper in large part because he is such a good fit.

A lot of analyst wrote him off last year but Baseball America still had him as our #4 prospect if I remember correctly. It's not only about numbers in the minors or the #s in a short call up. And there is no question that a lot of teams were interested in Reddick this year at the deadline. He has been opening eyes all over baseball this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

No, Soxfan111, I won't call you a racist, and your last post is very reasonable and well thought out. I hate seeing the race card being played in sports.
    Same with you, Boomer. Good post!
    Time will tell whose view winds up being the right one.
    I'm getting tired of the subject, anyway. On to bigger Sox issues.......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

I was ecstatic at the trading deadline that we kept Reddick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

I'd have helped him pack.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]I'd have helped him pack.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

I was at the Yankee game when he stroked the walk off hit. I gotta say i like his swing a lot, but everyone is right that only time will tell, but honestly i like what im seeing so far.