The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason

In Response to Re: The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason:
    [QUOTE]No, Shields is under control for 2 years at just $9M and $2M. Then we could trade him or get the draft pick.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I think Shields is a #2 starter, don't know if I'd quite call him an ace, but that being said, I'd like to have him here. Those numbers are similar to what we were paying The Fat Cat.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]I'm hoping we go after Johnny Cueto.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Hahaha....dream on Carnie. I follow the Reds, no way they trade Cueto, he really IS the next Pedro! Walt Jocketty would die laughing before he could hang up on Cherrington. The only thing the Sox have that the Reds could use is Ellsbury, but they won't send Cueto for him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CRJB1. Show CRJB1's posts

I agree 100%. I would make a run for King Felix, but only if he accepts an extension at the same time. The thing that worries me is the amount of innings already accumulated in that arm. He might be 26 or so right now, but it's an old 26. Either that or break the bank when he hits the market.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason:
    [QUOTE]I don't know who or what it would take but the red sox should make offseason priority #1 to acquare an ace. Remember what Pedro did for this team with him alone the red sox pretty much became a playoff team I wouldn't go as far as a contender because there wasn't many other good starters behind him but the red sox made the alcs with just pedro in 99. The ace pitccher would set the rest of the rotation up very nicely. I would love to get king felix but not sure if the mariners would pull the trigger. Red Sox fans be happy we are heading in a new direction and ridding our team of players who are under preforming and don't wana be in boston. I am very excited to see the new direction the sox are heading and so glad we can put an end to this era of the sox core.
    Posted by bosbruins2011cup[/QUOTE]
    What if we got King Felix and he had a bad year? Could you show us how you would bi tch and moan and who would you blame? Seriously think about it. How can you have an ace when you don't know what kind of year he will have? Can you say Phillies ? Best pitching money can buy????? Wake up people..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Shields is a #2 starter, don't know if I'd quite call him an ace, but that being said, I'd like to have him here. Those numbers are similar to what we were paying The Fat Cat.

To me, and ace is a top 30 starter. Shields is there, but if you want to call him a good #2, I'm not going to argue semantics.

Adding Shields is an improvement over Beckett. I'd still like to add another good starter, because I am not a firm beleiver that Doubront is anything more than a 5th starter, and Lackey is a big question mark. I want to think Morales can rise to a good 3/4 slot starter, but I'm not going to put our season on his shoulders.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason : I think adding an ace would make the current team playoff caliber there are two wild cards now. I am realistic abou 2013 I am not expecting much but with pitching I think its more than possible they could get one of the two wild card spots. Need some tissues for AGON?
    Posted by bosbruins2011cup[/QUOTE]

playoff caliber and championship contenders are two very different things. top of the rotation guys would get us into contention, we could get really good pitching depth and make the playoffs

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think Dickey is the only realistically available top 20 pitcher (excluding Greinke).  Maybe Wainwright, but it would take a lot to get him away from the Cards.

Wouldn't it be ironic if we got RA Dickey by taking on some bad contracts like Santana and Bay?

Peavy's the most attractive free agent, and he's shown he can still pitch, but with his health history and the team's luck in that area, it seems like it would just be tossing money away.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I think Dickey is the only realistically available top 20 pitcher (excluding Greinke).  Maybe Wainwright, but it would take a lot to get him away from the Cards. Wouldn't it be ironic if we got RA Dickey by taking on some bad contracts like Santana and Bay? Peavy's the most attractive free agent, and he's shown he can still pitch, but with his health history and the team's luck in that area, it seems like it would just be tossing money away.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]Softlaw would probably go ballistic.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

" Ace " is just a word that people like to use. Your " ace " does not pitch any more games than your other starters. Each game counts the same in the standings. It is nice to have an ace or two , but the main thing is to have five good , quality starters. Guys who give you a good chance to win every night.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]" Ace " is just a word that people like to use. Your " ace " does not pitch any more games than your other starters. Each game counts the same in the standings. It is nice to have an ace or two , but the main thing is to have five good , quality starters. Guys who give you a good chance to win every night.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]I hate to quibble, but to me your ace is the leader of your pitching staff. He's more than some guy who just goes out to the hill every 5th day. He's the guy who sets the tone, kind of like Papi does on offense. Right now the Red Sox don't have one of those.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

aces stop losing streaks, pitch first in important games, and lead by example....they are for real and we need one

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]" Ace " is just a word that people like to use. Your " ace " does not pitch any more games than your other starters. Each game counts the same in the standings. It is nice to have an ace or two , but the main thing is to have five good , quality starters. Guys who give you a good chance to win every night.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

That's not really true. 

First, the Ace gets more starts, especially in the post season.  Regular Season he may get 2 to 5 more starts that the other guys and that is significant.

Second, would you rather have what the Braves had in the 90's or what the DBacks had in 2001?  Or what the Cardinals had in 2004 (all starters had 15 W's) or what the Sox had that year (2 studs and 3 question marks)......I believe SKEWS are important - you need the top 2 dogs in the rotation.......You need the top dogs batting 3rd and 4th....You need the left handed set up man and the bona fide closer (Not so much the 6th and 7th men - they are just really mop up duty anyways).............

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I think Dickey is the only realistically available top 20 pitcher (excluding Greinke).  Maybe Wainwright, but it would take a lot to get him away from the Cards. Wouldn't it be ironic if we got RA Dickey by taking on some bad contracts like Santana and Bay? Peavy's the most attractive free agent, and he's shown he can still pitch, but with his health history and the team's luck in that area, it seems like it would just be tossing money away.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

The Mets have a $5M option on Dickey.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason : The Mets have a $5M option on Dickey.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]They'll pick that up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The red sox need to trade for an ace in the offseason : Softlaw would probably go ballistic.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

OK, you convinced me...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tradeing for some salary dumps is a possivbility if they are short term and have significant upside. here's some guys who might be trade bait...

Chicago Cubs: 
    M Garza (arb)

Colorado:
    J de la Rosa 13:$11M player option ($1M buyout) which, if exercised by De La Rosa, gives club $11M club option for 2014

Cleveland:
    Masterson (2 arbs)
    Joe Smith (arb)

San Deigo:
    Street 13:$7M, 14:$7M, 15:$7M club option

NY Mets:
    Santana 13:$25.5M, 14:$25M club option ($5.5M buyout)

Miami:
    J Johnson 13:$13.75M
    H Bell 13:$9M, 14:$9M
    Buehrle 13:$11M, 14:$18M, 15:$19M

Milwaukee:
    Wolf 13:$10M club option ($1.5M buyout)
    Gallardo 13:$7.75M, 14:$11.25M, 15:$13M club option ($0.6M buyout)

Philadelphia:
    C Lee 13:$25M, 14:$25M, 15:$25M, 16:$27.5M club option ($12.5M buyout)
    Halladay 13:$20M, 14:$20M option
    Hamels 13:$19.5M, 14:$22.5M, 15:$22.5M, 16:$22.5M, 17:$22.5M, 18:$22.5M,19:$20M club option ($6M buyout)

Seattle:
    F Hernandez 13:$19.5M, 14:$20M
    Vargas (arb)

Arizona:
    J Upton 13:$9.75M, 14:$14.25M, 15:$14.5M
    Putz 3:$6.5M club option ($1.5M buyout)
    Cahill 16:$13M club option ($0.3M buyout), 17:$13.5M club option ($0.5M buyout)

TB: Shields

18. This post has been removed.