The Red Sox Now & the Future

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Red Sox Now & the Future

Pitching:

There is no position on the Sox in higher need than our pitching staff. Some clowns have been arguing that our bats are the problem, or that our lack of timely hitting and consistency of the offense is our biggest need. It's always about the pitching... always.

I was going to break this down into starters and bullpen, but with Bard and Doubront as "tweeners", I'll just lump the whole sorry bunch into one analysis.

All winter long, I argued for making a deal to get at least a top quality 3rd starter. I mentioned a few names, most notably, Gavin Floyd and to some extent the Wandy Rodriguez and Jeremy Guthrie types. This would have allowed Bard to stay in the pen and lessen the blow of losing Papelbon.

The gain of Bailey, Melancon, and others along with full seasons by Morales, Tazawa and others could have helped make up for Papelbon, but injuries and ineffectiveness has not made that happen thus far.

Here's a breakdown of what we have now and what our near and distant future looks like:
    (Salary based on avg of contract)

Now:
    Beckett  32 ($17M '12-'14)
    Lester     28 ($6M '12-'13 & club option for '14 at $13M/ $0.25M buyout)
    Buchholtz
    Matsusaka  31  ($8M '12 then FA)
    Lackey (Inj) 33 ($16.5M '12-'14 and club option at min wage '15)
    Doubront 24 ($484K then 2 pre-arb & 3 Arbs to '17)
    D. Bard  27 ($1.6M then 3 Arb years '13-'15)  
    Aceves  29 ($1.2M then 2 Arb years '13-'14)
    Bailey   28  ($3.9M then 2 Arb years '13-'14)
    Morales 26 ($850K then 2 Arbs '13-'14)
    Melancon 27 ($521K then pre-arb, then 3 Arbs '14-'16)
    B Jenks  31 ($6M '12 then FA)
    Padilla    34 ($1.5M then FA)
    A Cook   33 ($minor league deal and FA in '13)
    M Albers 29 ($1.08M then Arb '13)
    A Miller    27 ($1.04M then Arb '13-'14)
    Tazawa   26  ($920K then 4 Arbs '13-'16)
    R Hill        32 ($725K then Arb '13)
    Thomas  28  ($516K then FA)
    Atchison 36 ($510K then 2 Arbs '13-'14)
    Mortensen 27 (487K then 2 pre-arb and 3 ARbs to '17)
    "Post Prospects":
    Ohlendorf  29 (minor league deal then FA in '13)
    Duckworth 36 (minor league deal then FA in '13)
    Germano    30
    Mathis         28
    J Carlson    31
    T Pena         31
    B. Buckner 28
    J Maine       30
    Saying we need a quality 3rd starter type and a closer is an understatement. We should all know by now, that this is and has been our highest need area for years. The future isn't too bright either, beyond maybe 2-3 propsects.

The Future:
    (ranking and grades based on soxprospects.com)
    3) Anthony Ranaudo 22 (5-9)
    4) Matt Barnes 21 (5-9)
    (13 is Doubront & Tazawa 19... see "Now")
    14) Alex Wilson 25 (5-7) Perhaps the only prospect that could help now.
    17) Stolmy Pimentel 22(3-8)
    20) Henry Owens 19 (3-8)
    21) Drake Britton  22 (3-9)
    24) Brandon Workman 23 ( 3-8)
    31) Cody Kukuk 19 (3-8)
    34) Noe Ramirez 22 (3-8)
    35) Frank Montas 19 (3-8)
    39) Madison Younginer 21 (3-8)
    41) Chris Hernandez (3-6)
    42) Chris Balcom-Miller (3-6)
    43) Aaron Kurcz (3-5)
    45) Keith Couch (3-7)
    46) Miguel Celstino (2-6)
    48) Chris Carpenter (3-6)
    50) Josh Fields (2-6) 

Not a very promising bunch here, but maybe a couple of guys will rise to occasion.

Looking beyond 2012, we are losing Dice-K and Jenks and a few of the projects. We need some pitching help from the outside or we will be left with this:
    S1) Beckett
    S2) Lester
    S3) Buchholtz
    S4) Lackey
    S5) Doubront
    S6) AMiller/Mortensen/AWilson/Ranaudo/Barnes
    R1) Bard
    R2) Aceves
    R3) Bailey
    R4) Morales
    R5) Melancon
    R6) RHill/Tazawa/Albers/Atchison

Not pretty, but not so bad that 2 nice pick-ups couldn't make this a formidable staff.

Catchers:

Our catching position is struggling right now as a whole, but there is a lot to be hopeful about. I had hoped we'd have traded Salty this past winter, and that window might be quickly closing now, but he seems to be doing better with the staff the last 2-3 weeks. That being said, many still want to see Lavarnway here by the date that does not take away a year of team control. 

Here's a breakdown of our catching position:

Now:
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia 27 ($2.5M and final Arb for '13)
    Kelly Shoppach  32 ($1.14M, then a FA after this year)
    AAA Mike Rivera 35

Shoppach is a very capable catcher vs LHPs. That matches up better with Salty than Lava, but at this point, it is getting close to Lavatime, either by moving Salty or Shoppach.

Now and the Future:
    Ryan Lavarnway  24  (2 pre-arb years and 3 Arb years to'17)

Future:
    (Rankings and grades by sxoprospects.com)
    6) Ryan Lavarnway 24 (5-9)
    10) Blake Swihart  20  (3-9)
    25) Christian Vazquez 21 (3-7)
    32) Dan Butler  25  (3-6)
    55) Jordan Weems 19 (2-7)
    I'm very excited about Lavarnway and Swihart. Unless Lava becomes our DH of the future, we may not have to think about this position for a long time. (Too bad we can't start today!)

Right Side Infield:

The Sox right-side IF is perhaps the most secure part of our team. AGon and Pedroia are both locked up for a while and are not likely to be traded. Here's a breakdown:

1B:
    Now:
    Gonzalez: 13-16: $21M annually, 17-18:$21.5M annually

Future (Rankings & grades by Soxprospects.com):
    Possibly could convert Lavarnway to 1B if needed.
    21) Lars Anderson  24  (4-7)
    29) Travis Shaw   22  (3-7)
    39) Reynaldo Rodriguez  26  (3-6)
    44) Mauro Gomez  26   (2-6)

2B:
    Now:
    Pedroia: 12:$8M, 13:$10M, 14:$10M, 15:$11M club option ($0.5M buyout)
    (Aviles/Punto/Spears: see Leftside IF)

Future:
    12) Sean Coyle 20  (4-9)
    20) Oscar Tejada 22 (moved to OF this year)
    35) Heiker Meneses  20  (3-6)

Sean Coyle is  highly regarded by some, but we don't have many very promising prospects in this area. At least we shouldn't need any for over 3 years (Pedey's deal expires after 2015).

Left Side Infield:

There are many questions and concerns about our SS  and 3B positions, both for 2012 and beyond:

1) The left-side IF defense has a brighter future.
    2) Youk's apparent decline has been steeper than anticipated, but he could come back with a fire burning within.
    3) Aviles has had a nice offensive start, but can he keep it up for 550+ PAs?

Here's a breakdown of what we have now and beyond 2012:
    (Contract is avg salary of contract)

Now:
    SS:
    Mike Aviles  31 ($1.2M the Arb from '13-'14)
    Nick Punto  34 ($1.5M for '12-'13 then FA)

Now (?) and the near future:
    Jose Iglesias 22 ($2.6M for '12-'13 then 3+ yrs of Arb)
    Pedro Ciriaco 26

The Future (Rankings and grades by Soxprospects.com):
    2) Xander Bogaerts  19 (3-10)
    5) Jose iglesias  22 (5-9)
    26) Jose Vinicio  18 (3-7)
    58) Mookie Betts 19 (2-7)
    Only Iggy is a realistic 2012 option, but our extended future looks bright with Iggy and Bogaerts both having a 9+ upside potential grade. Aviles would be one of the leagues best utility players, and if one of these kids shines soon, we could see that happen. I doubt we go outside the system to fill the SS position anytime in the next 2 years.

3B:
    Now:
    Kevin Youkilis 33 ($10.3M & '13 club option for $13M with $1M buyout) 
    Mike Aviles/Nick Punto/Pedro Ciriaco (see above)
    Nate Spears 23

Now & near future:
    Will Middlebrooks 23 (5+ years of team control)

The Future:
    1) Will Middlebrooks 23 (5-9)
    2) Xander Bogaerts 19 (3-10) If moved from SS to 3B
    11) Sean Coyle 20 (4-9) If moved from blocked 2B position
    12) Garin Cecchini 21 (4-9)
    15) Kolbrin Vitek 23 (3-8)
    36) Nate Spears 23 (3-6)
    This is the Sox deepest and strongest prospect position, especially if you count Bogaerts and Coyle as possible 3Bmen. 4 players with 9+ upsides and another at "8".

All in all, the Sox might not have to go elsewhere to restock these two positions. Not having to would free up a lot of resources to upgrade at the pitching and OF positions (see my OF Now & Future thread and my pitching Now & Future thread to come soon).

Outfield:

Much has been said about trading Ellsbury before his FA payday.
    Much has been said about the signing of Crawford and his recent history.
    Much has been said about DMac, Ross, Sweeney and Kalish.

With CC and Ellsbury out injured, our OF is in trouble. 

Here's a breakdown of what we have now (salary is avg annual salary):

The Now (and Future?):
    Ellsbury   28 ($8.05M) '13 Last Arb Year
    Crawford 30 ($20.3M)'12-'18
    C. Ross     31 ($3M) Free Agent after 2012
    Sweeney  27 ($1.75M) '13 Last Arb Year
    DMac         33 ($507K) 3 Arb Years ('13-'15)

J Repko     31
    D Nava      29
    J Kroeger  29

(Aviles & Punto)

The Future (Soxprospects rating and grade):
    7) R Kalish          24 (6-9)
    8) B Brentz        23 (4-9)
    9) B Jacobs        21 (3-9)
    16) J Bradley     22 (3-8)
    18) O Tejada      22 (3-7)
    23) A Hassan     24 (4-7)
    27) C-H Lin         23 (4-7)
    28) Hazelbaker  24 (3-7)  
    29) H Ramos       20 (3-8)
    30) W Jerez         19 (3-8)
    37) JC Linares     27 (3-6)
    40) K Perkins       20 (3-8)

We have 3 prospects with a "9" upside grade. We have 8 more with a "7" or "8" upside grade. Some of our prospects are obviously at least 2-3 years away. Some may be ready by 2013 or perhaps this year.

This team could use a right-handed power hitter. Will we make a move at the deadline or this winter? Will the slugger be an OF'er? Will Ellsbury be dealt before we lose him to free agency? Will we try hard to keep him? Will he turn us down anyway? There's some big questions here about the future of our OF, and there are some big questions about the hear and now as well.

Here's a list of players that might be FA Outfielders this winter:
    Michael Bourn
    Marlon Byrd
    Melky Cabrera
    Matt Diaz
    Andre Ethier
    Curtis Granderson (has option)
    Josh Hamilton
    Torii Hunter
    Carlos Lee
    Angel Pagan
    Carlos Quentin
    Aaron Rowand
    Luke Scott
    Ryan Spilborghs
    Ichiro Suzuki
    B.J. Upton
    Shane Victorino 
    Reggie Willits
    Delmon Young

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: The Red Sox Now & the Future

Nice breakdown, Moon, but despite your wishes, isn't it kind of silly to put Bard as a reliever at this point? Barring a major trade involving at least one of Beckett, Lackey, Lester or Buchholz, they aren't investing significant money in the rotation any time soon...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Here's the problem with Bard. He doesn't have the command of 3 pitches needed to start. He has pretty good command of two pitches. Derek Lowe made the transition because he was a sinkerballer with a good curve. Bard is not a starter and that's it. He's a short reliever, and he's had some impressive stretches as a short reliever. It's just that he fancies himself a better contract as a starter, and that's what is wrong with baseball salaries. They need to start putting more value on the relievers and less value on the 5-6 inning starter who often can't get that far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

When can they bring up Lava without losing a year of control?  Is that why the hold-up on getting the guy up here and playing?  Sooner the better.
    Still believe Buch and Lester will be solid guys down the road.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: The Red Sox Now & the Future:
    [QUOTE]Nice breakdown, Moon, but despite your wishes, isn't it kind of silly to put Bard as a reliever at this point? 

I still think he is a top 8th inning pitcher and at best a good 5-6 IP #3 starter. I get your point, but I cut and pasted this from a piece I did earlier this year.

Barring a major trade involving at least one of Beckett, Lackey, Lester or Buchholz, they aren't investing significant money in the rotation any time soon...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Or a deal like CC for Zito.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]When can they bring up Lava without losing a year of control?  Is that why the hold-up on getting the guy up here and playing?  Sooner the better. Still believe Buch and Lester will be solid guys down the road.
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]
    A couple more weeks for Lava because of his service time last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox Now & the Future : Or a deal like CC for Zito.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Zito is about as "West Coast" as it gets.  Even if this trade was a possibility, I'd be really surprised if he would wave "10/5" to come pitch in Boston. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

There are other high-priced pitchers out there too.

How about sending CC with some cash to his hometown of Houston for Wandy & Myers?

Johan Santana?

Jake Peavy?

Dempster?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]There are other high-priced pitchers out there too. How about sending CC with some cash to his hometown of Houston for Wandy & Myers? Johan Santana? Jake Peavy? Dempster?

I like the way your thinking , Moon...It may be possible, but I don't think they'd be able to move Crawford until the off season at best.  It would be another P.R. disaster for the Mets to move Santana right now, as they are actually competitive and they already have a high priced ex-Sox left fielder who has been a complete bust.  I guess Houston could be a fit for the reasons you mentioned, but I think Crawford will have to prove he's healthy AND productive for anyone to consider taking that contract (or even part of it.)  Kenny Williams took on the Rios deal, so he may be gunshy to do something like that again...Regardless of how this season plays out, I think the Sox will get really creative this winter...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox Now & the Future : I like the way your thinking , Moon...It may be possible, but I don't think they'd be able to move Crawford until the off season at best.  It would be another P.R. disaster for the Mets to move Santana right now, as they are actually competitive and they already have a high priced ex-Sox left fielder who has been a complete bust.  I guess Houston could be a fit for the reasons you mentioned, but I think Crawford will have to prove he's healthy AND productive for anyone to consider taking that contract (or even part of it.)  Kenny Williams took on the Rios deal, so he may be gunshy to do something like that again...Regardless of how this season plays out, I think the Sox will get really creative this winter...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

I agree.

My point is that so many people think we can not trade CC. Well, there are many teams that have players they have overpaid as well. Sometimes a change of scenery is good for both players involved. 

I think CC fits in better in the NL. & teams like SF and Houston need offense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

[QUOTE]When can they bring up Lava without losing a year of control?  Is that why the hold-up on getting the guy up here and playing?  Sooner the better. Still believe Buch and Lester will be solid guys down the road.

Not a believer in Buchholz being anymore than just a guy in this town.  Dont think he is mentally tough enough.  Might do great in city like Minnesota out of the spot light.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I bet the Astros would take Buch for Wandy and save some cash.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]There are other high-priced pitchers out there too. How about sending CC with some cash to his hometown of Houston for Wandy & Myers? Johan Santana? Jake Peavy? Dempster?

Peavy seems like a solid character pitcher who only this year (his final year of the contract) is fullfilling the White Sox dreams. It is only May to, who knows if he can stay healthy.

moon if you knew you were not going to re-sign Elles would you trade him today for Floyd/Dunn ??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No.  Floyd only has 1.7 years left and Dunn can not play LF very well. 

Dunn is finally coming around, and as I said at the end of last year, I'd still have rather overspent on Dunn than CC.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Moon, I have never been impressed with Wandy Rod. , notwithstanding this year's performance. I agree Carl Crawford looks like the prototypical Nat'l League turf outfielder from the 80's, would have fit in well in St. Louis, Montreal,Houston, etc.

But with that ridiculous contract, we're not only stuck with him, we're handcuffed financially in combination with Lackey's & Beckett's deals. At least Beckett & Gonzalez have produced here in the recent past.

So barring miraculous improvement by Lester / Beckett/ Buchholz/ Bard, or Dice-K version 2008 re-appearing, we're in for a long summer.
    Meanwhile Matt Barnes is storming the lower minors, Henry Owens continues his Nuke LaLoosh impersonation, Ranaudo about to make a AA start, and even Drake Britton finally turned in a decent effort ! ( maybe he heard about me suggesting him as a candidate for DFA to put Linares on 40-man ? LOL)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon, I have never been impressed with Wandy Rod. , notwithstanding this year's performance.

He's been under 3.60 for 5 straight years before this season. Even if you adjust it to the AL, he's been solid and dependable with 151 starts/5 yrs.

I agree Carl Crawford looks like the prototypical Nat'l League turf outfielder from the 80's, would have fit in well in St. Louis, Montreal,Houston, etc.

But with that ridiculous contract, we're not only stuck with him...

My point is: no we're not.

We can pay $8-10M/yr of his deal as part of the trade, or we can trade him to an NL  team in need of offense for another salary dump like Barry Zito. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Smile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]No.  Floyd only has 1.7 years left and Dunn can not play LF very well.  Dunn is finally coming around, and as I said at the end of last year, I'd still have rather overspent on Dunn than CC.

Can Dunn play RF? He can DH full-time in 2013. Elles only has 1.5 years left on his deal and we would see if Floyd could pitch at Fenway before committing to a longer contract.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Perhaps the hold-up is that Lavarnway is not tearing up AAA and doesn't have much experience as a catcher -- and Salty is handling the Sox pitchers very well.
    Why start breaking in a new catcher -- unless you're ready to write off the season and are sure that he is in fact the "catcher of the future." 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I just can't picture our FO trading any of the long term sad sack deals they have done and paying any money out to a team to take them.  They won't even spend money to bring in real talent. 

Hard to believe the Sox would pick up 8-10m/yr of CCs contract, then sign a long term contract (Sox need to be gun shy on long term contracts) for big bucks with Wandy Rod or that the Astros would want to take on CC for about 10-12m/yr even after Sox pick up the amount above on him...since they are trying to dump salary and not take more on.

That said...I still would like to see CC gone to anyone for anybody. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Can Dunn play RF?

He might be the worst fielding OF'er of all time. Does that answer your question?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox Now & the Future : Can Dunn play RF? He can DH full-time in 2013. Elles only has 1.5 years left on his deal and we would see if Floyd could pitch at Fenway before committing to a longer contract.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Can he? What about Ortiz?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

hmm ok using your lists this is what 2013 would look like If I ran the Sox:
    Starting Rotation:
    S1) Zack Greinke (must go get FA or Trade for him before he is FA)
    S2) Lester
    S3) Bard
    S4) Buchholtz
    S5) Barnes (good stuff and an innings horse)
    S6) /Mortensen/AWilson/Ranaudo/Doubront

Catcher:
    Lavarnway
    Salty
    Swihart is in the mix by 2014

Relief Pitching:
    I expect all kinds of changes there so not worth trying to outline.

1st Base:
    Adrian Gonzales
    Travis Shaw will be insurance for now as Lars will be traded I am sure.

2nd Base:
    Pedroia
    Coyle is going to be ready in a couple years if we decide not to resign Pedroia.

SS:
    Iggy is where it is at but in a couple years there is another possibility, Bogaerts looks good for the future for us or trade.

3rd Base:
    Middlebrooks
    Plenty of good players to move from 2nd or SS to 3rd if needed and a couple young prospects at 3rd as well so plenty of depth there.

OF:
     I hope they keep Ellsbury for CF and then we don't have to worry about that spot beyond injuries (sorry bad joke)
    Crawford is a bust I think but lets say he is ok then your looking at Kalish, Jacobs and Brentz with Brentz eventually being the powerhouse RF fenway has lacked for a while.

Aviles is a great Utility also I didn't mention that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Red Sox Now & the Future : I agree. My point is that so many people think we can not trade CC. Well, there are many teams that have players they have overpaid as well. Sometimes a change of scenery is good for both players involved.  I think CC fits in better in the NL. & teams like SF and Houston need offense.

Good Analysis Moon.

Would you consider trading CC to the Mets for Santana(as you mentioned), if the Mets also want to include Jason Bay? Sox drop CC's remaining 120MM and add 2012 and 2013 for Santana and Bay(about 82mm). Both have options for 14 which are either team or unlikely to vest. Hit to the Budget for 12 and 13, but out from under the CC contract for 14-17. Maybe the chnage of scenery back to Fenway gives bay an opportunity to perform at least a little better than he did with the Mets.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good Analysis Moon. 

Would you consider trading CC to the Mets for Santana(as you mentioned), if the Mets also want to include Jason Bay? Sox drop CC's remaining 120MM and add 2012 and 2013 for Santana and Bay(about 82mm). Both have options for 14 which are either team or unlikely to vest. Hit to the Budget for 12 and 13, but out from under the CC contract for 14-17. Maybe the chnage of scenery back to Fenway gives bay an opportunity to perform at least a little better than he did with the Mets. 

I like CC for Santana straight up. No Bay. If they insist, perhaps we could pay part of CC's deal from '14-'17 and they pay part of Santana for '12-'13 to even out the hit for both teams.

There's lots of high priced players out there that teams might move to lessen the hit CC's deal would have on them.

Sections
Shortcuts