The Red Sox Outfield - The Worst in Baseball?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Red Sox Outfield - The Worst in Baseball?

From 1-5, the Red Sox arguably have one of the worst outfields in baseball. From 1 to 5:

Victorino

Sizemore

Nava

Carp

JBJ

That is awful. Agree? Where are the HR's coming from?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: The Red Sox Outfield - The Worst in Baseball?

Lol, how about we get more than one game into the season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

And it isn't just about offense.  JBJ, Sizemore and Victorino when healthy could be one of the best defensive outfield in the majors.  Anyway, it's only one game.  Let's wait until the end of May before sweeping generalizations.

Red Sox 2014 World Series Champions. Bruins 2014 Stanley Cup Champions. Patriots 2015 Super Bowl Champions. Celtics??????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Obviously someone isn't familiar with the other 29 outfields in baseball. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From 1-5, the Red Sox arguably have one of the worst outfields in baseball. From 1 to 5:

Victorino

Sizemore

Nava

Carp

JBJ

[/QUOTE]

well, so far we have 1.......and are on average for 162 for the season......divided by 3 OF spots = 54 per OF spot.  i believe we are on record pace.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Victorino

Sizemore

Nava

Carp

JBJ

The Dumbest Management in Baseball

posted at 12/17/2012 3:28 PM EST

ADG

"On top of everyone else, Stephen Drew for $9.5M? Are you kidding me?

I thought the Victorino and Dempster deals were bad, but this tops the cake."

Georom

"ben is a certifiable loon....he needs to have the car keys taken away from him.....what a disaster.....just think they could have had sanchez for what they paid drew and gomes....."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Performance level is not determined by just HRs.

Nava has been great at getting on base.

Vic, Sizemore and JBJ are great on defense.

Gomes and Carp have had some awesome splits.

Put it all together, stay healthy, and we may end up on the plus side.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Looks like Geo and ADG are out in full force today trying to throw dark clouds over everything...

Have ya seen every other teams OF's? Id say were doing ok.

Our OF had 1/3 of our hits and scored our only run yesterday with a HR. You might want to wait until they actually dont do anything before claiming they are the worst OF in baseball.

Both you and Geo have no legs to stand on this morning.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

April Fool!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

For what it's worth, the FanGraphs aggregate WAR projections rank the Red Sox No. 8 in rightfield, No. 20 in leftfield and No. 26 in centerfield:

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=RF

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=LF

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=CF

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Worth about as much as all the division standings predictions that come out this time of year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bottom line is we will know come September.

Thats why they play the games.

We have question marks for sure, but we have the potential for a very productive OF, both offensively and on D.

Injuries can, and will happen. Underperformance, over-achieving, etc. Will all come into play as well.

Can anyone tell me where we ranked last year? Before the season and then after....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We basically have the same LF and RF as last year. Here's how they did as compared to the rest of MLB:

LF: 6th in WAR at +4.3 (3rd in OPS at .812/ 2nd in OBP at .362)

RF: 1st in WAR at +7.8  (4th in OPS  at .823/ 1st in OBP at .371)

As you can see, our corner OF led the league in OBP, OPS and WAR. I seriously doubt the downgrade from Ellsbury to Grady/JBJ will offset our corner OF enough to make us even outside the top 10 OFs in MLB, let alone the worst.

(Note: our CF was 6th in WAR last year at +6.0. 6th in OPS at .769 and 6th in OBP at .348. Ellsbury had a .781 OPS. I wouldn't be that that surprised if Grady and JBJ combined for an OPS close to Jacoby's.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

A quick check reveals that in 2013 the Sox got 18 HR from LF, 20 HR from RF and a whopping 13 HR from CF.  Despite that "massive power shortage" they managed to win the division and the World Series.  Of course, "power" is not just about HRs anyway...

Given all of the LF/RFers have returned, it's reasonable to assume the 2014 Sox will approach their 2013 HR numbers from those positions.  Can Grady/JBJ/other manage to meet/exceed 13 HR in 2014?  Currently on a 162-HR pace from CF.

Time to panic!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We basically have the same LF and RF as last year. Here's how they did as compared to the rest of MLB:

As you can see, our corner OF led the league in OBP, OPS and WAR. I seriously doubt the downgrade from Ellsbury to Grady/JBJ will offset our corner OF enough to make us even outside the top 10 OFs in MLB, let alone the worst.

(Note: our CF was 6th in WAR last year at +6.0. 6th in OPS at .769 and 6th in OBP at .348. Ellsbury had a .781 OPS. I wouldn't be that that surprised if Grady and JBJ combined for an OPS close to Jacoby's.)

[/QUOTE]

Devastating numbers, moonslav, but I'm not sure the OP is serious. 

I, on the other hand, am stunned at those WAR numbers.  They tell me that this year's outfield could be pretty darn good if Sizemore and Victorino stay healthy.  Unfortunately, Vic is already on the DL with his recurring hamstring problems. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Its amazing that a thread can be started (assuming it was serious ;)  and be so off base. This OF is the same as last year, swap Sizemore for Ells. The only thing we lose is about 25 SB a year. We were one of the best OF's last year. Even if we do have a little drop off, were still one of the better OF's. Hardly "worst in baseball".

If both Vic and Sizemore are on the DL a lot we could be in trouble, but right now the only one I worry about is Vic. Every team has question marksthough. The LAD have a 60M dollar OF with question marks everywhere.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Where do the home runs come from?  DH, third base, SS, first base, in addtion to whatever we get from the outfield.  JBJ can hit pretty well, assuming he gets his major league act together.  Who knows about Sizemore, but it's a good start.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Devastating numbers, moonslav, but I'm not sure the OP is serious. 

I, on the other hand, am stunned at those WAR numbers.  They tell me that this year's outfield could be pretty darn good if Sizemore and Victorino stay healthy.  Unfortunately, Vic is already on the DL with his recurring hamstring problems. 

[/QUOTE]

Vic's WAR was greatly enhanced by off-the-charts defensive numbers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A quick check reveals that in 2013 the Sox got 18 HR from LF, 20 HR from RF and a whopping 13 HR from CF.  Despite that "massive power shortage" they managed to win the division and the World Series.  Of course, "power" is not just about HRs anyway...

Another quick check reveals that our OF hit 62 HRs combined last year...just 2 Hrs below MLB's mean of 64 by the Phillies.

However, we placed 3rd in doubles and SLG, so I'm not worried about our OF power shoratge.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

Victorino

Sizemore

Nava

Carp

JBJ

[/QUOTE]

Nice. I knew I could count on you to start whining once the season started. You could always follow the Yankees.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A lot depends on the performance of Sizemore.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

That actually looks like a very good outfield if everyone stays healthy (which, of course, is already posing a problem). If Shane and Grady end up missing a lot of time, we'll have some real issues.

Puzzlingly, though, the OP does not raise those concerns, but instead asks where the HR will come from. That's kind of odd because we basically have the same outfield as last season with the exception of Ellsbury...and I don't think the loss of his 9 home runs is going to hurt the team much.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That actually looks like a very good outfield if everyone stays healthy (which, of course, is already posing a problem). If Shane and Grady end up missing a lot of time, we'll have some real issues.

Puzzlingly, though, the OP does not raise those concerns, but instead asks where the HR will come from. That's kind of odd because we basically have the same outfield as last season with the exception of Ellsbury...and I don't think the loss of his 9 home runs is going to hurt the team much.

[/QUOTE]

Right. It will be harder to replace Ellsbury's SBs than HRs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury had the 9th best SLG% on the team last year out of the 11 guys with 240+ PAs. Victorino, Nava and Gomes all had the same or better SLG%s.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

Georom

"ben is a certifiable loon....he needs to have the car keys taken away from him.....what a disaster.....just think they could have had sanchez for what they paid drew and gomes....."

Haha...I remember people making fun of this assertion at the time, for good reason. It's like saying that for what we're paying Napoli and Pierzynski we could have had Cano.

Never let facts get in the way of a good whine.