The Red Sox Outfield - The Worst in Baseball?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: The Red Sox Outfield - The Worst in Baseball?

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ellsbury had the 9th best SLG% on the team last year out of the 11 guys with 240+ PAs. Victorino, Nava and Gomes all had the same or better SLG%s.

[/QUOTE]

If you added in the stolen bases, it changes things . For instance, if you took 52 singles, and turned them into doubles, the SLG % would rise. I doubt anyone in baseball would consider Nava, Gomes, or even Victorino to be in the same class as Ellsbury. Not even close.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

Ellsbury had the 9th best SLG% on the team last year out of the 11 guys with 240+ PAs. Victorino, Nava and Gomes all had the same or better SLG%s.

If you added in the stolen bases, it changes things . For instance, if you took 52 singles, and turned them into doubles, the SLG % would rise. I doubt anyone in baseball would consider Nava, Gomes, or even Victorino to be in the same class as Ellsbury. Not even close.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to imply Nava and Gomes are better than Ellsbury. (I do think a healthy Vic is close to as good as a healthy Jacoby.)

Also, if you add SBs to total bases, then make sure you subract 4 hits to compensate for his 4 CS (Vic had 3, Nava 2, and Gomes 0).

I realize replacing Ellsbury's SLG, OBP or OPS is not the whole story, but if Grady & JBJ combined can come close to what Ellsbury gave us in OPS, and their defense is close to even, then all we really need to make up is 25-35 SBs, less opposing pitcher worries,  and a few extra bases on hit balls by other players.

I was just responding to the lack of power in our OF point. SBs don't change that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury was on the team in 2012 too.

It didn't seem to help all that much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would argue that Nava and Victorino had better season's than Ellsbury last year. Also Nava should have been an All-Star and was one of the most productive OFers in baseball last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would argue that Nava and Victorino had better season's than Ellsbury last year. Also Nava should have been an All-Star and was one of the most productive OFers in baseball last year.

[/QUOTE]

His defense is still pretty bad.

He stinks vs lefties.

I love what he brings to this team, but he's too one dimensional to be thought of as better than Jacoby and some other OF'ers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think Victorino is a pretty good comparison.  Vic was great last year.  Career OPS is .774 v .789.  SB/CS almost identical.  I like Ells, but Vic is pretty good.

IRT to Gomes/Nava, not as good as Ells, but a terrific platoon for a very reasonable price.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would argue that, if Nava or Shane had been a free agent this off season, they would not have received anything even approaching the deal that Ellsbury got. Especially Nava, who I happen to like, by the way. I think it is safe to say that no GM in baseball considers Nava to be in the same category as Ellsbury. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

1 game into the season.  Wow.  My day had been kind of down.  I got a great laugh now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ndgzXRvWk

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I would argue that, if Nava or Shane had been a free agent this off season, they would not have received anything even approaching the deal that Ellsbury got. Especially Nava, who I happen to like, by the way. I think it is safe to say that no GM in baseball considers Nava to be in the same category as Ellsbury. 

Agreed on Nava, but Vic is in the same elague as Jacoby, but his age would prevent him from getting an Ellsbury-esque deal.

(Even at the same age, Vic would get less, but it would not be way less.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the Yankees weren't desperate for some offensive help, not even Ellsbury would've gotten the deal that Ellsbury got.

The Yankees bid against themselves, again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

Performance level is not determined by just HRs.

Nava has been great at getting on base.

Vic, Sizemore and JBJ are great on defense.

Gomes and Carp have had some awesome splits.

Put it all together, stay healthy, and we may end up on the plus side.

[/QUOTE] if healthy, i think you guys could get a respectable amount of jacks from Victorino, JThugs and Sizemore..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the Yankees weren't desperate for some offensive help, not even Ellsbury would've gotten the deal that Ellsbury got.

[/QUOTE]

Also, what players sign for does not make a good comparative value argument.

Is Cano ($24M x 10) really about twice as good as Pedey ($13.8M x 8)?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

[/QUOTE] IMO, neither of those two should even be defined by salary, plus their deals were different..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cano still in the league???

(east coast bias FTW)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

[QUOTE]

(east coast bias FTW)

[/QUOTE] chill Slash, we don't wanna get Robbie throwin up the W...

Tongue Out...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

(east coast bias FTW)

Robinson Cano has posted a .429/.600/.571/1.171 line with an OPS+ of 232 as the Seattle Mariners opened the season on the road by outscoring the Los Angeles Angels 18-3 in the first two games.

Gotta love small samples.Smile

PS: Last night with two outs in the third inning the Angels intentionally walked Cano with runners on second and third, only to surrender a bases-clearing double to Justin Smoak, who recorded his second three-RBI game of the young season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

(east coast bias FTW)

Robinson Cano has posted a .429/.600/.571/1.171 line with an OPS+ of 232 as the Seattle Mariners opened the season on the road by outscoring the Los Angeles Angels 18-3 in the first two games.

PS: Last night with two outs in the third inning the Angels intentionally walked Cano with runners on second and third, only to surrender a base-clearing double to Justin Smoak, who recorded his second three-RBI game of the young season.

[/QUOTE]

Is this finally the year of the M's?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Free agency doesn't give the more money solely to the person with the better season. Ellsbury is a better defender, younger, more dynamic etc. Nava offensively had a better season. Victorino is older and more beat up. If he was 30 like Ellsbury he would have probably made over 100m if he was a FA. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From 1-5, the Red Sox arguably have one of the worst outfields in baseball. From 1 to 5:

Victorino

Sizemore

Nava

Carp

JBJ

That is awful. Agree? Where are the HR's coming from?

[/QUOTE]

Nice. I knew I could count on you to start whining once the season started. You could always follow the Yankees.

[/QUOTE] hey!!..wait a minute now carnie..it's bad enough i have to put up with Zac Tongue Out...j/k Zac :-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OutofTownPATS Fan. Show OutofTownPATS Fan's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From 1-5, the Red Sox arguably have one of the worst outfields in baseball. From 1 to 5:

Victorino

Sizemore

Nava

Carp

JBJ

That is awful. Agree? Where are the HR's coming from?

[/QUOTE]

Did Gomes get traded?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

(east coast bias FTW)

PS: Last night with two outs in the third inning the Angels intentionally walked Cano with runners on second and third, only to surrender a base-clearing double to Justin Smoak, who recorded his second three-RBI game of the young season.

Is this finally the year of the M's?

I'm not holding my breath ... the Seattle pitching remains suspect.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

April Fool!

[/QUOTE]

Heh!   G1

Sections
Shortcuts