The revolving door at SS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

The revolving door at SS

I think Peter Abraham hit the nail on the head with his article today about the revolving door at SS.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most of us consider SS to be an anchor pin of the infield of any team. So why is it the Sox can't find one they like and go with him?

As of this morning our SS is Stephen Drew, who's here on a one year contract.  We allegedly have two or three prospects waiting in the wings, but that's still what they are - prospects.  I know, I know, everyone raves about Bogarts, but what if they're wrong?  He wouldn't be the first "can't miss prospect" to miss.  This team just traded away someone who (at the mimimun) has the glove to be the SS of the future in the hope that Bogarts pans out.  For me that's too many eggs in one basket, especially when one of the eggs was just traded away for a pitcher many of us don't think the team needed. (Remember just yesterday when most of us were saying that all this team really needs is bullpen help?)

So come March of 2014 the Sox still won't have a full-time SS.  They're going to be heading to Ft. Myers with the left side of the IF wide open to whomever plays well down there.  And all this time I thought 2014 was our "target year".  Does that make more sense to anyone else than it does to me??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: The revolving door at SS

This revolving door at SS thing is way overplayed.  What's the big deal?  If anything, this year is confirming that it's an overplayed idea.

Drew is not hurting us at all. 

In 2004 we won it all with a rental.

In 2007 we won it all with a lousy SS.

Relax. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I hardly think that that many scouts, GM's, managers, and players are wrong about Bogey. I suppose there is always some percentage of a chance he fails, but my guess that % is unbelieveably low with Bogey in regard to flopping as a MLB SS.

I agree that the revolving door at SS is way overblown. I would be willing to place money with anyone here that Bogaerts will have success MLB provided he stays healthy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Revolving door is just another catch-phrase.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Not only is it overblown, Iglesias wasn't even tbe shortstop.  We were going to have a new one next year regardless.

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

If Iglesias is just placeholding for Boegarts, how is moving him contributing to the 'revolving door' at SS?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

It's Drew's until he leaves.  He's the Sox binky this year.

Sections
Shortcuts