1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

The Rise and Fall of John Henry

The egregious signing of Victorino shows a lack of courage to face up to rebuilding for a better future.

As they say in investing, "Past Performance Does Not Guarantee Future Results".

He may have made some very inteligent moves in finance and baseball, but he has lost his mojo:

-loses his cool with shockjocks and admits he didn't want Crawford while he is still under contract.

-leaves his second wife for a woman 30 years his junior, darker hair and trendy jeans ensue.  I wonder what attracted the stunning MIT grad to a weedy, asthmatic  farmer's son older than her father.

-buys Liverpool FC Oct 2010,    '07/08, ... now:  4th,  2nd,  7th,  6th,  8th,  11th

-As for purchasing Liverpool FC, a franchise with uncanny parallels to the Red Sox, he writes, "We've driven revenues as far as baseball will allow, and here was an opportunity to compete globally in a league without borders."

-"John W. Henry, one of the founding fathers of managed futures and the systematic trend following approach to trading futures, will stop managing customer funds at the end of this year."  Nov 2012  (was managing $2.5B, fell tp $100M)

-admits he lost focus on Sox management, "Henry informed the Herald, (Bill) James had fallen out of favor over the last few years for reasons I really don't understand. "

-tried and failed to unload $28m yacht

For now at least, John Henry not selling yacht - The Boston Globe Dec '11

-

John Henry defends Liverpool transfer policy in open letter to fans ...  www.independent.co.uk/..... 3 Sep 2012 “ Liverpool's principal owner John Henry admits they have made mistakes

Was Softy ahead of the curve on:

moving Cameron to CF over MVP Ells in 2011

the Sox signing Bill Hall as UIF, cut by Houston 2 mo later

Julio Lugo was not a bust

AGon is a perfect fit for Boston, and he won't sign in April

loving Crawford's work ethic when he first signed, and then dumping on him

banging on about Wake who was an above avg 6th starter

banging on about Vtek who was a n above avg 2nd catcher

praising Theo for years until it all went belly up

calling Ells a bum and Teix a true superstar

a "lawyer" who didn't know IFA Iglesias was not a FA in 2013

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Re: The Rise and Fall of John Henry

You left out the NASCAR venture investment of $50M in 2007 in Rousch Racing...and although the Sox did win the WS that year, it has been a downhill slide from that point to their last place finish this past year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Our future is in the minor leagues  a year or two away.  What the signing of the most recent player's allowed us to stay competive and continue to develop our young talent.  The most recent signings that we have will also teach our young player's how to be professionals and play hard.  Lighten up every organizations goes through rebuilding modes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The egregious signing of Victorino shows a lack of courage to face up to rebuilding for a better future.

Past Performance Does Not Guarantee Future Results

He may have made some very inteligent moves in finance and baseball, but he has lost his mojo:

-loses his cool with shockjocks and admits he didn't want Crawford while he is still under contract.

-leaves his second wife for a woman 30 years his junior, darker hair and trendy jeans ensue.  I wonder what attracted the stunning MIT grad to a weedy, asthmatic  farmer's son older than her father.

-buys Liverpool FC Oct 2010,    '07/08, ... now:  4th,  2nd,  7th,  6th,  8th,  11th

-As for purchasing Liverpool FC, a franchise with uncanny parallels to the Red Sox, he writes, "We've driven revenues as far as baseball will allow, and here was an opportunity to compete globally in a league without borders."

-"John W. Henry, one of the founding fathers of managed futures and the systematic trend following approach to trading futures, will stop managing customer funds at the end of this year."  Nov 2012  (was managing $2.5B, fell tp $100M)

-admits he lost focus on Sox management, "Henry informed the Herald, (Bill) James had fallen “out of favor over the last few years for reasons I really don’t understand. "

-

John Henry defends Liverpool transfer policy in open letter to fans ...  www.independent.co.uk/..... 3 Sep 2012 – Liverpool's principal owner John Henry admits they have made mistakes

[/QUOTE]

Don't you have anything better to do than kill the owner of the Red Sox, a guy who brought us [2] World Series Champions in the last 10 years after having [0] in the previous 86 years. Time to get a life!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Past Performance Does Not Guarantee Future Results

-admits he lost focus on Sox management, "Henry informed the Herald, (Bill) James had fallen “out of favor over the last few years for reasons I really don’t understand. "

-

John Henry defends Liverpool transfer policy in open letter to fans ...  www.independent.co.uk/..... 3 Sep 2012 – Liverpool's principal owner John Henry admits they have made mistakes

[/QUOTE]

Don't you have anything better to do than kill the owner of the Red Sox, a guy who brought us [2] World Series Champions in the last 10 years after having [0] in the previous 86 years. Time to get a life!

[/QUOTE]

tom-uk is not a constant complainer, and he raises some valid points. I would argue that the long term problems with the Red Sox have more to do with Lucchino than Henry.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

-admits he lost focus on Sox management, "Henry informed the Herald, (Bill) James had fallen out of favor over the last few years for reasons I really don't understand. "

-

John Henry defends Liverpool transfer policy in open letter to fans ...  www.independent.co.uk/..... 3 Sep 2012 “ Liverpool's principal owner John Henry admits they have made mistakes

[/QUOTE]

Gabbage post.

Some thoughts are better kept to one's self.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The word fall here is overly dramatic and premature.  Henry has taken a few hits but he's still standing up.  I think he's somebody that people tend to underestimate. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

tom-uk is not a constant complainer, and he raises some valid points. I would argue that the long term problems with the Red Sox have more to do with Lucchino than Henry.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Carnie.  

A couple thoughts:

1.  Is Henry postioning the Sox for sale? Has he been distracted with other issues?

2. Is LL affraid to commit to rebuilding, with lower ticket prices and watch tv ratings dip?  IMO signing MN and SV takes the Sox from 78 to 82 wins maybe.

3. I'd rather see:

-Lester for a Will Myers type.

-Linares and Kalich given a shot before Bradley and Brentz arrive.

-Sands or Gomez play than signing former catchers.  Bill James 2013 OPS:  Napoli 848  Gomez  804   Sands 812

-Ellsbury for pitching.

-Wait to make big moves like the Beckett Marlins trade when a distressed seller is obvious.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Carnie.  

A couple thoughts:

1.  Is Henry postioning the Sox for sale? Has he been distracted with other issues?

2. Is LL affraid to commit to rebuilding, with lower ticket prices and watch tv ratings dip?  IMO signing MN and SV takes the Sox from 78 to 82 wins maybe.

3. I'd rather see:

-Sands or Gomez play than signing former catchers.  Bill James 2013 OPS:  Napoli 848  Gomez  804   Sands 812

-Ellsbury for pitching.

-Wait to make big moves like the Beckett Marlins trade when a distressed seller is obvious.

[/QUOTE]

I like Napoli playing 81 games at Fenway, he could be scary in the field though. I think Victorino is a likely precursor to an Ellsbury trade, possibly in a package with Salty. I'd personally like to see Ells and Salty to Cincinatti for Corcino, Cingrani and Chad Rogers. Victorino is a big defensive upgrade over anything we had in the outfield last year, and he can actually throw the ball, which we haven't seen a lot from in our outfielders in the last few years. He's not great offensively, but I really like the defense especially with the likely lack of D in LF. Probably Kalish platoons with Gomes and hopefully he shows us why he was consistently ranked ahead of Reddick in the minor leagues. Linares probably doesn't get a shot this year unless someone gets hurt, as he's not even on the 40 man roster. I'd love to see him get a shot as I think he'd give us excellent defense and good hitting with some pop.

As far as LL, I'm not so sure he's scared to commit to rebuilding so much as just losing his mojo, which he has a history of. I'd love to see what the Sox could do with Dan Duquette in his position, but Larry would need to be bought out of the ownership group for that to happen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Keep your eye on the olde town team........   The "BIG O" for another 4 years will have a hand in the results !!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Carnie, I read somewhere that Linares is not on 40 man for tactical reasons.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Keep your eye on the olde town team........   The "BIG O" for another 4 years will have a hand in the results !!

[/QUOTE]

Could you possibly post about baseball without bashing the president?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

Carnie, I read somewhere that Linares is not on 40 man for tactical reasons.

[/QUOTE]

If Ells and Salty get dealt maybe he gets added. If he's on the 40 man he could easily make the team out of ST.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Carnie.  

A couple thoughts:

3. I'd rather see:

-Ellsbury for pitching.

[/QUOTE]

I like Napoli playing 81 games at Fenway, he could be scary in the field though. I think Victorino is a likely precursor to an Ellsbury trade, possibly in a package with Salty. I'd personally like to see Ells and Salty to Cincinatti for Corcino, Cingrani and Chad Rogers. Victorino is a big defensive upgrade over anything we had in the outfield last year, and he can actually throw the ball, which we haven't seen a lot from in our outfielders in the last few years. He's not great offensively, but I really like the defense especially with the likely lack of D in LF. Probably Kalish platoons with Gomes and hopefully he shows us why he was consistently ranked ahead of Reddick in the minor leagues. Linares probably doesn't get a shot this year unless someone gets hurt, as he's not even on the 40 man roster. I'd love to see him get a shot as I think he'd give us excellent defense and good hitting with some pop.

As far as LL, I'm not so sure he's scared to commit to rebuilding so much as just losing his mojo, which he has a history of. I'd love to see what the Sox could do with Dan Duquette in his position, but Larry would need to be bought out of the ownership group for that to happen.

[/QUOTE]

Ha...I just said pretty much the same exact thing on a new post...sorry bout that. And I think your spot on

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Could you possibly post about baseball without bashing the president?

[/QUOTE]jUST STAYING WITH THE FACTS OF THE SUBJECT.....That shouldn't offend anyone !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

-

[/QUOTE]

Seems like you have a man crush on John Henry.To follow everything he does and post it? What business of yours is it other then having feelings for him.Is it the fact he has a much younger girlfriend that you don't like.You don't stand a chance, so stop your crying and move on

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Like many RS fans the writer expects a WS every year. Never looking at the fact that over the first 12years of this century that the RS were one of the top 3 teams in MLB. Mot realizing that players are humans and have bad years. That owners and GMs make decisions that do not all work out. That life is fluid and as we land plan plan our lives sh!t happens.

Seriously every time the market falls there many who lose billions. Have they lost their mojo? No they move on and attempt to remedy the challenge. He!! Back in the dot com bust I and many lost a lot of money. We did not lose our mojo we adjusted and moved forward.

lastly to bring in that he left his wife for a younger woman has nothing to do with anything. We have no idea about his life with his former life so should have no place in this forum.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Like many RS fans the writer expects a WS every year. 

Jim, I accept you're not the brightest spark, but you have missed the whole point.  The team should rebuild not patch up the squad to win 82 games instead of 78 with expensive decline phase players.

lastly to bring in that he left his wife for a younger woman has nothing to do with anything. 

I am pretty comfortable judging his decisions, this one included. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

What business of yours is it other then having feelings for him.

You do realize that he owns the red sox which I have followed intensely for four decades and he only bought to make money.  When he couldn't make anymore money from The Sox he bought LFC to try to make money out of it (see quote in OP).  Are you ok with roster decisions being made so he can sell the Sox for his maximal profit?

Is it the fact he has a much younger girlfriend that you don't like.You don't stand a chance, so stop your crying and move on

Are you saying that he doesn't look like a prat with his new wife dressing him?

Take off the rose tinted specs!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I leave the stuff about who men are married to to the tabloids.  I mean it's titillating and all that but it has nothing to do with the baseball team. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

What business of yours is it other then having feelings for him.

You do realize that he owns the red sox which I have followed intensly for four decade and he bought to make money from.  When he couldn't make anymore money from The Sox he bought LFC to try to make money out of it (see quote in OP).  Are you ok with roster decisions being made so he can sell the Sox for his maximal profit?

Is it the fact he has a much younger girlfriend that you don't like.You don't stand a chance, so stop your crying and move on

Are you saying that he doesn't look like a prat with his new wife dressing him?

Take off the rose tinted specs!

[/QUOTE]

He can no longer get a WS trophy, so he got a trophy wife instead!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Guru-Meditation-. Show -Guru-Meditation-'s posts

Sections
Shortcuts