The RS are really going to put Ortiz at first?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

Re: The RS are really going to put Ortiz at first?

These guys are baseball players, not porcelin dolls.  Gimme a break.  The Sox need their bats, that is plain to see, and why should Ortiz get injured playing first?  If Gonzalez can run the bases, he can run in the outfield. Sheesh.
    Posted by Kamdog

While I would agree that they are suppose to be athletes many are not.  Keep this in mind;

1. The one glaring weak spot for Gonzalez is his mobility, .. or lack of same.  The guy can't run.  He has the reflexes for 1B but not the OF.  So, why put him in a situation that increases his chances of failure?

2.  Keep in mind Youkilis' OF play, .. need I say more?

3. Cheng Ming Wang, ... got hurt doing something basic to baseball and has NEVER been the same.  Before his injury he had back to back 19 win seasons and looked to be on his way to another with 12 wins.  Since then, NADA!  He may never be anythng near hat he once was.

My favorite Irish bartender in New York once told me that baseball isn’t a sport, .. it’s a game because you don’t have to be fit to play it.  There is a lot of truth in that.  There are MLB players that are true athletes and there are guys that are just good baseball players,  David Ortiz is the latter.  While I wouldn’t say the same for Gonzalez he’s playing way out of position which only increases the chance for calamity. 

I had NO DUOUBT that both would give every effort to give a good account of themselves but this was a mistake.  The potential gain didn’t meet the potential risk AND they lost anyway.  In the WS I get it.  Otherwise this is just stupid.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

"Playing Ortiz at first for the first time all year in a W.S. game could be stupider than playing him there now. He needs work out there."

And two or three games in June will address that need?

I'm not trying to take a shot at any of the RS players.  This move is just poor strategy.  Short term minimal potential gain with a very real and significant potential risk.  Just dumb.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee-yazzer. Show thee-yazzer's posts

hey sue,

if the SOX make it to the WS, i'll eat my keyboard one letter at a time.

Sections
Shortcuts