The RS are really going to put Ortiz at first?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

The RS are really going to put Ortiz at first?

So if either of these guys, Ortiz or Gonzalez, ends up on the DL who gets fired?

If this was the WS, I get it.  For a single interleague series, .. this is profoundly stupid.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: The RS are really going to put Ortiz at first?

Your answer was tonights line-up McDonald, Varitek, Cameron three guys whose time has come and long gone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to The RS are really going to put Ortiz at first?:
    [QUOTE]So if either of these guys, Ortiz or Gonzalez, ends up on the DL who gets fired? If this was the WS, I get it.  For a single interleague series, .. this is profoundly stupid.
    Posted by heobrien[/QUOTE]

Agree ..These games mean nothing.... Would be bad move.Send ORTIZ to a barbacue or something.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee-yazzer. Show thee-yazzer's posts

"AGREE-these games mean nothing."
    intelligent post. but you might be right. when the SOX get swept the 3 games these game will mean nothing--ZERO for the SOX!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

agon to LF

whose panic move ?

1) tito

2) theo

3) both

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

These guys are baseball players, not porcelin dolls.  Gimme a break.  The Sox need their bats, that is plain to see, and why should Ortiz get injured playing first?  If Gonzalez can run the bases, he can run in the outfield.

Sheesh.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

He definitely has the strength to be out there for the entire game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

By now, Ortiz may have lost his timing and batting stroke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

In Response to Re: The RS are really going to put Ortiz at first?:
    [QUOTE]agon to LF whose panic move ? 1) tito 2) theo 3) both
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Tito's panic move ... he knows he needs to clobber the RH pitcher today, or miss his golden opportunity to take a game from the Phils.   And you cannot take Gonzo out, and replace him with Ortiz.  It would be a downgrade.  

I would not want to be in his shoes either way.  It is a lose-lose ... he will get bashed for playing Gonzo in RF regardless of whether he gets hurt.   And if the Phils sweep the Sox, and Ortiz doesn't start a game, he will get blamed for not getting Ortiz in there more.

Tito gets paid big bucks ... time to earn it ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Why not just put Ortiz in right field?  He's probably not much slower than Agon.;

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe. Show The--Babe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The RS are really going to put Ortiz at first? : Agree ..These games mean nothing.... Would be bad move.Send ORTIZ to a barbacue or something.

Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

So games in June/July don't mean anything?

Try telling that to members of the '78 red flops...I bet they wished they had won and additional game in June/July.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to The RS are really going to put Ortiz at first?:
    [QUOTE]So if either of these guys, Ortiz or Gonzalez, ends up on the DL who gets fired? If this was the WS, I get it.  For a single interleague series, .. this is profoundly stupid.
    Posted by heobrien[/QUOTE]

I couldn't disagree more.  Nothing is risk-free, and that includes playing AGon at first base, or were you unaware that the Cardinals (and often the NL) MVP Pujols is on the DL because of an injury incurred at 1B? 

The greater risk is that AGon in RF or Ortiz at 1B will look foolish, but I think both risks--injury and looking foolish--are worth it. 

Forget Lee.  This lineup looked lousy against the Pirates.   Our one win was the result of 4 Pirate errors and 3 unearned runs.  The absence of Ortiz and Crawford from the lineup, combined with having to bat pitchers in the 9th slot, has made this a very weak lineup. AGon in RF and Ortiz at 1B gets you five good hitters and just maybe some offense.  And don't forget that the Phillies have the best pitching in MLB.

Besides, the next five games are the last opportunity for Francona to test AGon in RF (he's played Ortiz many times at 1B and found him acceptable) before the World Series.  There is absolutely no guarantee the Sox will get that far, but you have to admit the Sox are one of the better teams in MLB this year.  And, should the Sox be so fortunate as to get into the WS--with the Phillies very possibly their opponent--they will play a minimum of two games in Philly.  And, if Ortiz still has an OPS of 1.000 and the RF slot hasn't been fixed (and it could well be if Reddick shows he can hit or the Sox make a deal), it would be useful to have already tried this little experiment.

Moreover, Francona only has to start the game with AGon in RF.  If the Sox or the Phillies jump out to a big lead, he can move him back to 1B and Ortiz will have gotten his 1 AB.  Or he could move AGon back if he looks uncomfortable out there.  But I don't think he will because he's played RF in a winter league, because he is probably the smartest player on the team, and because he will not want to jeopardize a career year. 

And this.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I can see it now, a foul hit behind first down the RF line and A-Gon and Ortiz collide going after ball and both get injured.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyboy9. Show johnnyboy9's posts

[QUOTE]     I can see it now, a foul hit behind first down the RF line and A-Gon and Ortiz collide going after ball and both get injured.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]
    hideous. ironic. lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALittleBitSouth. Show ALittleBitSouth's posts

[QUOTE]   Your answer was tonights line-up McDonald, Varitek, Cameron three guys whose time has come and long gone.

Varitek's time has definitely not gone, Cameron's has and McDonald, perhaps. Maybe Tito's thinks he's still managing the Phillies (where he was under .500 and then some. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALittleBitSouth. Show ALittleBitSouth's posts

[QUOTE]   Your answer was tonights line-up McDonald, Varitek, Cameron three guys whose time has come and long gone.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALittleBitSouth. Show ALittleBitSouth's posts

Varitek's time has definitely not gone, Cameron's has and McDonald, perhaps. Maybe Tito's thinks he's still managing the Phillies (where he was under .500 and then some. You never know when those .150 or less hitters mayb get hot. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

What took so long?  We could have won a few games on this trip had Tito got both their bats in the line-up from the get-go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee-yazzer. Show thee-yazzer's posts

21 million dollars this year for cameron and nancy, and neither is wanted in RF.

and neither is wanted by any other team in the ML'S.

fine job theo! how long before this clown bankrupts the SOX?

ps. crawford being healthy would have made no difference over the last 6 games.

"no bad signing goes unpunished."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

[QUOTE]21 million dollars this year for cameron and nancy, and neither is wanted in RF. and neither is wanted by any other team in the ML'S. fine job theo! how long before this clown bankrupts the SOX? ps. crawford being healthy would have made no difference over the last 6 games. "no bad signing goes unpunished."
    Posted by thee-yazzer[/QUOTE]
    yaz your a good man, remind me of the best poster ever on this board Seabeach Fred

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee-yazzer. Show thee-yazzer's posts

i remember seabeach fred; i enjoyed him also.
    and thanks for the kind words, tc25.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The RS are really going to put Ortiz at first? : Playing Ortiz at first for the first time all year in a W.S. game could be stupider than playing him there now. He needs work out there.
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.  If the Red Sox are playing in the World Series Ortiz and Gonzales won't be prepared if they aren't given a chance during these interleague games.  Do we really want either one of them to sit for a few games if we are in the World Series?   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

Good point that Sox-Phillies may be a World Series preview.  The Sox need both Ortiz and Gonzalez in the lineup against Philly's strong pitching.  Try it tonight and see what happens.  If Pujols can play 5 games at 3b this year (and get injured while playing 1b), Agon can play a game or two in RF.  He's a natural ball player.  he may not have much speed, but I think he'll be fine reading the balls that come to him.  I predict Ortiz and Agon both homer tonight and the Sox get a lead early. Cameron comes on for D by the 6th (with Agon sliding back to 1b), and everyone's happy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Francona will be holding his collective breath hoping Ortiz doesn't commit an error leading to a loss or if A-Gon takes a fall on the outfield grass and jamming his surgically repaired left shoulder.