The Season in a Nutshell

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Season in a Nutshell

Starting pitching. As much as everyone can complaining about injuries, the issue has been the starting pitching. 

This is the ranking of the worst ML qualified ERA's:

9. Felix Doubront    4.93

11. Jon Lester         4.82

16. Josh Beckett      4.65

19. Clay Buchholz    4.56

And if it's expanded to 90 IP, Aaron Cook gets thrown in there with his 5.65. 

For that alone, the entire coaching staff (minus Bogar who will probably become manager) should be fired.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: The Season in a Nutshell

good look.

take a look at all the blown saves too.  there has to be a ton of them.

moving Bard out of 8th inning and not resigning JP cost us a ton of games this season...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Don't forget the negative intangibles; you think it's a coincidence the Dodgers din't play well after the infusion of all that talent? (Including Victorino & Hanley Ramirez)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

good look.

moving Bard out of 8th inning and not resigning JP cost us a ton of games this season...

Despite the debacle that was this season, resigning Papelbon for the same money he got in Philly would have been a mistake.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Agreed, pumpsie. While everyone was piling on Bailey last night and lamenting not signing Papelbon,  reminded me of the last game of last season, when he blew the lead and save. It remains to be seen if a healthy Bailey is the future closer, but the grass isn't always greener, just different grass.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

true.  absolutely.

maybe it's just our team then?  bunch of mush.  dont matter who is on the bump, they will find a way to destroy us.  is this what we are back too?  <2004?

sad.  very sad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I think that one of the keys going forward is to be sure that the players brought onboard mesh in the dugout and with the manager.  The Sox lost that magical chemistry after 2008 when they tried to mess with something that wasn't broke.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

The Orioles amazing pitching has carried them.

Its more than that: the Orioles' pitching is ranked just sixth in the AL. They are ranked eighth in runs scored. Yet they win games. Personally, I think that they are winning close games because they want it more than whoever they are playing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to traven's comment:

I think that one of the keys going forward is to be sure that the players brought onboard mesh in the dugout and with the manager.  The Sox lost that magical chemistry after 2008 when they tried to mess with something that wasn't broke.

Tavern you do realize that over the past 12 years that on average there were 8 to 10 new players each year. That the only consistent everyday players over those years were Manny, Ortiz, Pedroia, Youk, Tek, Lowell, Jake, and not one was there for all 12 years. There has always been change and all ways will be. It is also even more so in the relief pitching staff.

This team was in trouble when Paps was not signed and then Bailey got hurt. They then tried to appease two pitchers who were great where they were and it all blew up on them.

Now we have no known good closer (Paps), no 8th inning guy (Bard) and no middle relief guy (Aceves) and no one knows if Bard or Aceves will ever pitch for the RS again.

I also hold BV totally responsible for Aceves blow up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I agree with you Jim, but that core of talent over those years of 2 WS wins was enough to insure the success regardless of who they brought in.  Note that Theo really didn't mess with the core talent until after the 2007 WS and then he slowly dismantled it with some really bad moves...then jumped ship after the train wreck was apparent.

I don't like the Yankees but I do like the way they manage their talent.  If you don't fit a certain mold they have, you don't play for them.  18 post season appearances in the last 19 years says a lot...money aside.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to traven's comment:

I agree with you Jim, but that core of talent over those years of 2 WS wins was enough to insure the success regardless of who they brought in.  Note that Theo really didn't mess with the core talent until after the 2007 WS and then he slowly dismantled it with some really bad moves...then jumped ship after the train wreck was apparent.

I don't like the Yankees but I do like the way they manage their talent.  If you don't fit a certain mold they have, you don't play for them.  18 post season appearances in the last 19 years says a lot...money aside.

Tavern you are wrong....

Please look at the core talent from 04 to 07 before you speak. There are only 4 guys who played on both Youk, Manny, Ortiz and Tek. Schilling Timlin and Wake are the only pitchers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to slasher9's comment:

good look.

It would have been a huge mistake resigning PAPS. He was mentally done with the SOX. It was far from what was expected for a SOX team, but it really had no chance of doing well. However, the best thing to happen: THE TRADE. Now the Sox can work on getting back to the basics. Now they can obtain affordable talent and field a competitive team. And now BC can hire who he wants. Clean slate all around. Dice K off the books. Resign Cody Ross. If Big Papi is asking for the sky, let him walk. Maybe pick up Nick Swisher. Iggy is not the shortstop answer. And go and get Youk back for 1st base because Loney is not the answer. So, last place is never good, but look at it this way, they can only go up from here.

Despite the debacle that was this season, resigning Papelbon for the same money he got in Philly would have been a mistake.

Sections
Shortcuts