the "second half"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

the "second half"

The quotation marks mean the second half is a lot shorter this year--just 65 games to go.  The question is, how will the Sox fare in those 65 games? 

They start with some definite advantages--a 2.5 game lead over the Rays and 4.5 over the Orioles and the best winning percentage in the AL; most runs scored and highest OPS in MLB; most games played in MLB, which means the fewest games to play (65) and most rest days ahead; more home games than road games and no west coast road trip ahead; a lineup with only one real star, which means a lot of depth, including guys on the bench and even at Pawtucket; a decent rotation and bullpen even without Buchholz and Hanrahan; team chemistry and overall good management. 

The fear is the Sox are playing over their heads, the bubble will burst, and the Rays, Orioles and even the Yankees will assert themselves and blow by the Sox. In the wild card race you have to also add in Texas or Oakland from the AL West as competitors.   Thus the cry for three additions--a good starter, a good righty bat, and one more good arm in the bullpen.  I think Cherington might go after all three, but will not be bold because that's been his modus operandi to date, plus he too must like the team chemistry, plus the Sox are in the lead, plus this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. 

Someone else already said it, but I will chime in and say I agree the biggest risk to this team in the next 65 games is health.  If Ortiz goes on the DL, real trouble--ditto Pedroia and ditto Buchholz if he doesn't return as the first half Buchholz.  Some trouble if Ellsbury, Iglesias, Lackey, Doubront, or Uehara goes on the DL.  Even Lester and Dempster would be hard to replace. 

I honestly believe the AL East or at least a wild card slot is the Sox to lose, especially if Buchholz can get back in decent time and form--and the team stays healthy. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: the

I wouldnt be too concern about Oritz cuz Napoli have been doing a heck of a job as a back up DH hitter in the first 15 games that Oritz was out.  Napoli probably can hit better as DH than playing at 1b. But I think we need both of them to protect the front and the back hitters of the line up.

Really my concern is the starting pitchers and the regular starters.  More regular starters in the line up for the most games of the season, better chance for them to produce more runs.  For starting pitching, we need Lester and Dempster to start waking up and try to go deep as well to try to win as many games as they can.  Same goes to Bucholtz, he need to pitch now regardless if his neck is bothering him or not.  It may not matter much cuz he could reinjure his neck again in the month of August or September.  If he ever get hurt again at the same time he still win games while Boston are in a good shape to win the division, then he can rest again in the month of September so the team can have him ready for the post season.  It make no sense to keep resting now and then he finally pitch again in the mid-August to September where Boston could end up in the wildcard chase instead of the divisional title chase.

To make a trade, I would go for starting pitcher first.  i dont trust Lester, Dempster and maybe Bucholtz. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I am not worried about the Red Sox offense.  

If Buccholz gets healthy and Lester picks it up then I see the Red Sox clinching in the AL East.  These two need to be the dominant one-two punch.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

of those 65 games aren't 41 or so of them against teams with winning records?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

it is better playing against winning team than playing against the spoilers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

no moves / team "as-is" i will predict 32-33

90 wins will have them on the outside of the PO's, but about 10 more wins then i expected from them this year.  Get me Lee and i say 37-28 and in the PO's......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

no moves / team "as-is" i will predict 32-33

90 wins will have them on the outside of the PO's, but about 10 more wins then i expected from them this year.  Get me Lee and i say 37-28 and in the PO's......

red sox are not going to get Lee.  Why you need three left handers in the rotation?  way too many.  Either they trade Doubront for Lee and find another right handed pitcher, and then i could be fine with that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

iceman, I count 38 against winning teams, but in any case most are against AL East teams, which means they have the same problem.  Texas and Oakland get a break because they are in with a bunch of losers in the AL West. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

GoUconn13, I think Ortiz is about as indispensable as it is possible to be.  He is a way better hitter than Napoli or anyone else on the team--an OPS of over 1.000 is a big deal. 

I don't see Buchholz coming back until is pretty much pain free and throwing well.  As someone else pointed out, pitching thru pain is a recipe for disaster.  The bloody sock guy, Schilling, in the ALCS was no doubt an exception, but a rare one that carried little risk to damaging his arm or shoulder. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Why you need three left handers in the rotation?  way too many.  Either they trade Doubront for Lee and find another right handed pitcher, and then i could be fine with that.

NYY LHB @ yankee stadium = .273 BA/ .774 OPS

NYY RHB @ yankee stadium = .210 / .578

no data @ Fenway this year

Baltimore LHB @ camden.271 / .798

Baltimore RHB @ camden .254 / .713

3 games so far @ Fenway:

Baltimore LHB @ Fens  .161 / .630

Baltimore RHB @ Fens  .256 / .769

TB LHB @ Trop  .272 / .787

TB RHB @ Trop  .261 / .741

6 games so far @ Fenway:

TB LHB @ Fens  .167 / .538

TB RHB @ Fens  .211 / .535

TOR LHB @ RC  .251 / .722

TOR RHB @ RC  .269 / .808

7 games so far @ Fenway:

TOR LHB @ Fens  .244 / .642

TOR RHB @ Fens  .234 / .741

I see no reason why we shouldn't employee 3 LH starters.  Especially if one of them is named "Lee".

LHP are devastating against NYY and we play them quite a few times 2nd half.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I have no doubt Sox will make it to the playoffs.  But is this WS team right now?  Without Bucholz, Lester being unable to figure things out again, too many platoons and frequent lineup changes, little upgrade won't hurt.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

hope they aren't still considering a Michael Young deal.......don't think that will help any....

I am actually thinking two arms.....as the summer drags on .....more chance someone else goes down with an injury...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

[QUOTE]

iceman, I count 38 against winning teams, but in any case most are against AL East teams, which means they have the same problem.  Texas and Oakland get a break because they are in with a bunch of losers in the AL West. 

[/QUOTE]

The Angels and Mariners may have losing records, but they can be pretty tough opps. They do have a better 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place teams than the central division.

Sections
Shortcuts