The Sky is Falling Article by Chip Buck - 791

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: The Sky is Falling Article by Chip Buck - 791

What's the date on that?  Is that why Mr. So Good for RS Nation" stopped by?  Maybe Babe will show up and he can let me know, since he keeps all those details on his favorite blogger.

Edit: Oops for some reason I thought it would be 1918. And I'm sure "Chip" is very good at "exposing the defects in our fanbase". 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to The Sky is Falling Article by Chip Buck - 791:
    [QUOTE]http://firebrandal.com/2011/04/06/the-sky-is-falling/ A perceptive indictment on the "Chicken Little" syndrome that personnifies RSN and especially this forum. Jim called us "Crybabies and Whiners" the other day and Andrewmitch and Ghost accused him of being a troll - LOL. Many here seem to have the inherited, genetic flaw of being a Red Sox fan which is to be pessimistic and fatalistic and expect the worst. You can see it every day in here and many wear that attitude like a badge of honor instead of realizing that it is a flaw in your emotional makeup. The article by Chip does a great job at exposing this defect in our fan base.
    Posted by pike[/QUOTE]
    So you expect fans of all teams to see things with rose colored glasses on?  Or just all Red Sox fans to see things with rose colored glasses?  The truth is not all fans are eternal optimists, I don't know why one would have a problem with that.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I'm a little concerned that the sky is falling, but it's not too late to put it back up. 

There's a saying that you can't win it in April but you sure as Hell can lose it, and that's what may be happening to the Sox now.

Baseball, like most sports, is a game of streaks and right now the Sox are having a losing streak.  It'll end and sooner or later the Sox will have a winning streak, followed by a losing streak followed by a winning streak.

My concern is that by starting the season with a losing streak the Sox may be digging themselves a hole that will be too deep for them to get out of come September and they'll finish two or three games back and not get a playoff spot.  

They're a good team with lots of talent and they'll be ok.  I'm just concerned about the long-term ramifications of what's happening in April. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Re: The Sky is Falling Article by Chip Buck - 791:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Sky is Falling Article by Chip Buck - 791 : Is this question addressed to me or to Chip? Chip got his opinions from somewhere and my guess is that this forum was part of it. Did you bother to read the article? He is saying that more Yankee fans wear rose colored glasses than Bosox fans. do you have a problem with that? You surprise me since I thought that you would laugh about the RSN "Chicken Little" syndrome.
    Posted by pike[/QUOTE]

I guess I was really wondering why do you come down on all the fans on here who you perceive to be too negative about the Sox?  In regard to more Yankee fans being positive I think that is a generalization.  I know many Yankee fans who are pessimists, my father included.  All fanbases have optimists and negative folk included and we can't change that, nor should we question their loyalty as fans based on their instincts or perceptions.  I think the ones that we can question or should question on this forum are those who say unrealistic things or appear to be to "homerish" in their posts and give no credit to the opposing side. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]So you disagree with the opinion of Chip 791?
    Posted by pike[/QUOTE]

I disagree with the notion that too many people on this forum are negative.....I'd say the vast majority are realists.  There are some who do say unrealistic things and those opinions/posts are the ones that should be called into question.  Would I say that overall Yankee fans are more optimistic?  I would say pre-2004 we were but not anymore.  I live in NY and I here people worried about the state of the Yanks everyday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

Red Sox fans were once described by Dennis Eckersley as the "ultimate manic-depressive fanbase."[2] For all the excitement over the quality of play by the Red Sox, there is often a twinge of pessimism about the team, as the team's failures are typically blown out of proportion. Boston Globe columnist Charlie Pierce, among others, has attributed the self-perpetuating fatalism of the Nation to the intellectual legacy of the Puritans who settled Boston and instilled in the region's inhabitants a deep-seated Calvinist determinism.[3]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

When MLB covered the '78 PO Game as part of their "20 Greatest Games" Series, Piniella (who made a couple of game saving plays) was one of the guests. He said that RS fans were "great fans".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]When MLB covered the '78 PO Game as part of their "20 Greatest Games" Series, Piniella (who made a couple of game saving plays) was one of the guests. He said that RS fans were "great fans" .
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

They are great fans, they know the game very well and are demanding of their team.  Hell some fans in this forum are even demanding of their fanbase.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Sky is Falling Article by Chip Buck - 791 : They are great fans, they know the game very well and are demanding of their team.  Hell some fans in this forum are even demanding of their fanbase.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx[/QUOTE]

Yes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

[QUOTE]Red Sox fans were once described by Dennis Eckersley as the "ultimate manic-depressive fanbase." [ 2 ] For all the excitement over the quality of play by the Red Sox, there is often a twinge of pessimism about the team, as the team's failures are typically blown out of proportion. Boston Globe columnist Charlie Pierce , among others, has attributed the self-perpetuating fatalism of the Nation to the intellectual legacy of the Puritans who settled Boston and instilled in the region's inhabitants a deep-seated Calvinist determinism . [ 3 ]
    Posted by Natick-Ned[/QUOTE]

New England's Calvinist Orthodoxy and its fabled "Five Points," which insisted that man's natural condition was total depravity, that salvation was beyond mortal striving, that grace was predestined only for a few, that most mortals were condemned to suffer eternal damnation, and no earthly effort could save them."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]What's the date on that?  Is that why Mr. So Good for RS Nation" stopped by?  Maybe Babe will show up and he can let me know, since he keeps all those details on his favorite blogger. Edit: Oops for some reason I thought it would be 1918. And I'm sure "Chip" is very good at "exposing the defects in our fanbase". 
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]
    He's defending the Red Sox - thought you would appreciate that. Did you actually read the article?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

New England's Calvinist Orthodoxy and its fabled "Five Points," which insisted that man's natural condition was total depravity, that salvation was beyond mortal striving, that grace was predestined only for a few, that most mortals were condemned to suffer eternal damnation, and no earthly effort could save them." Natick-Ned
    ------------------------------------------------------

That is, without a doubt, the most awful thing I have ever read. The fact that it was meant for loyal, faithful people who believed what they were being told makes it all the more horrific to me. I've always had a hard time with religion, and truly believe that you're a good person or you're not. To me, sometimes it seems religion just scares people, and I don't understand the purpose of that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

another loss, another pre-emptive Pike post to blame the fans...

hey Pike how come you never come by my pizzeria in Worcester? I have special slice made just for you!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasloco. Show losmediasloco's posts

Nice article by Chip ( our Redsox791 ). He hits the nail on the head in his profiling the Sox Nation as a bunch of whiners and pessimists. He should have footnoted this forum as proof of his findings. I'll never understand why loyal Red Sox fans come here and act like they do. I could guess that they are Yankee fans in Red Sox garb but I can't prove that. However there are fakers, pretenders, and concern trolls in every Internet forum. Why would this forum be any different?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]What's the date on that?  Is that why Mr. So Good for RS Nation" stopped by?  Maybe Babe will show up and he can let me know, since he keeps all those details on his favorite blogger. Edit: Oops for some reason I thought it would be 1918. And I'm sure "Chip" is very good at "exposing the defects in our fanbase". 
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

It was written on April 6th.  I write 2-4 articles a week for Fire Brand, so pretty much any time I post here would coincide with an article.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Sky is Falling Article by Chip Buck - 791 : He's defending the Red Sox - thought you would appreciate that. Did you actually read the article?
    Posted by Flapjack07[/QUOTE]

Thank you Flapjack.  I'm sure kim did not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to The Sky is Falling Article by Chip Buck - 791:
    [QUOTE]http://firebrandal.com/2011/04/06/the-sky-is-falling/ A perceptive indictment on the "Chicken Little" syndrome that personnifies RSN and especially this forum. Jim called us "Crybabies and Whiners" the other day and Andrewmitch and Ghost accused him of being a troll - LOL. Many here seem to have the inherited, genetic flaw of being a Red Sox fan which is to be pessimistic and fatalistic and expect the worst. You can see it every day in here and many wear that attitude like a badge of honor instead of realizing that it is a flaw in your emotional makeup. The article by Chip does a great job at exposing this defect in our fan base.
    Posted by pike[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid a lot of people have misunderstood the article.  The point I was making is that it is far too early to make snap judgements.  At the time I was wrote the article, we were 0-5 or 0-6, and the media and RSN were acting like it was the end of the world.  The only reason we freaked out was because it happened at the beginning of the season.  If it had happened in June, no one would've cared.  That's the point. 

Also, this board didn't influence my opinion any more than the thousands of articles written or spots done on ESPN. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Natick-Ned may be closer to the truth than we are willing to admit.
    Human nature determines how we react. From the moment of birth, the one certainty is death. If it were the other way around, perhaps our behavior would coincide.

We are who we are. We can blame each other all day long if we irritate each other but the resolution will be the same, morning, day or night.

People differ. They look different. They react differently to a given phenomenon.
    You can expose it or label it or try to change it - but your efforts will fall on deaf ears.
    That's the way it is.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Natick - Ned may be closer to the truth than we are willing to admit. Human nature determines how we react. From the moment of birth, the one certainty is death. If it were the other way around, perhaps our behavior would coincide. We are who we are. We can blame each other all day long if we irritate each other but the resolution will be the same, morning, day or night. People differ. They look different. They react differently to a given phenomenon. You can expose it or label it or try to change it - but your efforts will fall on deaf ears That's the way it is.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

True. If I was born in MA, I'd most likely be a Sox fan. Since I'm originally from Brooklyn, if Walter O'Malley didn't move the Dodgers, I'd have been a Dodger fan (not a good thing these days), and hate the Yankees and Giants. If I was born with a silver spoon, I'd probably like Glenn Beck (That may be a little much.) What got me into baseball was getting a Roger Maris baseball card in '61. (Some say he should still be the single season record holder; which I'm undecided about.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Since there is no way to accurately poll RSN, this article coming from a professed
    analyst has no basis in factual analysis. It's more of a "feel" article. It's funny how after the article was written the team continued to lose, causing even more concern. The Sox have more of a history or MO of falling apart than winning, despite their current success recently. It's more logical that fans WOULD be seeing the sky falling, then to expect rainbows and pennant flags flying. It's no joke that the rest of the AL East is loaded with talent, so a win or loss in April carries significant weight on the outcome of the season. Now throw in a restructured offense, where the lead-off hitter has yet to be determined, and the over emphasis on LH bats day to day, and you have a "situation" calling for real analysis.
     Perhaps Chip can tell us the significance of having the L/R advantage, and I say advantage since most of the leagues pitchers are RH, was this part of Theo's plan? To gain a slight advantage upon thousands of AB's has to have a wave effect on total results, right?
     Maybe Chip will identify the "best" lead-off hitter on the team, Scutaro got the job by default last year, who should have it this year?
     What about the difference between roster turn over, Sox vs Yankees, the New Yorkers have three guys still together for 17 years, the Sox have only two, Wake and Ortiz from just 7 years ago.
     How about position by position comparison, this team vs 2004, or 2007?
    By researching the above, a more rational explanation may have been presented, instead 791 gives us gobbledygook, voodoo, and regurgitation, and of course his patented errors in syntax.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One factor that I think is overlooked is the nature of the game itself.  Baseball is a game that is designed to produce anxiety and dread.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The nature of the game brings out our true nature.

Sections
Shortcuts