The Sox Best Chance for 2012...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox Best Chance for 2012...

This is the earliest point in a season where I have packed it in. If we were all healthy, maybe I'd hold on to a sliver of hope, but I just don't see it happening this year.

That being said, I see basically 2 ways the Sox can win a wild card slot. Both need the Sox to win a high percentage of their remaining games for us to have any chance, but with 5 teams ahead of the Sox trying for the 2 Wild card slots, we need help. I will concentrate on this area for my two areas of hope remaining for the Sox.

Hope 1:
    All 5 team beat each other up in head to head games. They split the games about 50-50 with maybe the teams farther behind winning 1 or 2 more games than the others, leaving them all at about 86 to 87 wins. The Sox would have to go about 28-15 to pull even with all the teams.

Hope 2:
    1 of the 5 teams goes on a tear, especially against the other 4 teams. knocking them down quickly, everytime they play them. TB or Baltimore makes the most sense as "that team".  One would have to almost single-handedly knock the other out of it (with the Sox beating that team as well). Since the Angels are 2.5 behind, they'd have to win more vs Oakland.

Here's a look at who plays who from here on out...

Baltimore:
    9 TOR (H6/3A)
    7 NYY (H4/3A)
    6 T.B. (H3/A3)
    6 BOS (H3/A3)
    3 @ DET
    3 @ TEX
    3 @ OAK
    3 @ SEA
    4 v CWS

The O's have a tough schedule. There really is no easy opp on this list, except maybe Toronto. I think our best chance is for TB to romp BLat in the 6 games they play Baltimore, and Balt wins 2 of 3 with teams like Detroit and Oakland. Of course, Boston would have to go at least 4-2 vs Balt to have a chance.

Tampa Bay:
    6 Balt (H3/A3)
    6 Bos (H4/A2)
    6 NYY (H3/A3)
    7 Tor   (H4/A3)
    6 Tex  (H3/A3)
    4 @ CWS
    3 @ LAA
    3 v Oak
    3 v KC

Slightly easier than Baltimore's schedule, but difficult none the less.

Detroit:
    10 KC (H4/A6)
    7 CWS (H3/A4)
    6 LAA (H3/A3)
    6 Clev (H3/A3)
    6 Minn (H3/A3)
    3 v Tor
    3 v Bal
    3 v Oak

So much easier than TB or Baltimore, so maybe we need to hope Detroit goes on a tear and both Baltimore and TB struggle from here on out, leaving Boston in 2nd place in the AL East and a WC berth.

Oakland:
    7 TEX (H3/A4)
    7 LAA (H3/A4)
    6 SEA (H3/A3)
    7 CLE (H3/A4)
    3@ NYY
    3 v BOS
    3 @ TB
    3 BAL
    3 v MIN

Looks tougher than Detroit's. Our hope is Oakland beats other top teams just enough to not beat us out for the last slot, but enough to keep them from running away from everyone.

LAA:
    9 SEA (H3/A6)
    7 Oak (H4/A3)
    6 DET (H3/A3)
    3 @ BOS
    3 v TB
    3 v TEX
    3 v CWS

For us to win 28 games and have a good chance, we need to do this:

Boston:
    9 NYY (H3/A6)  5-4
    6 LAA (H3/A3)  4-2
    6 TOR (H3/A3)  4-2
    6 TB   (H2/A4)   4-2
    6 Bal  (H3/A3)   4-2
    3 @ Oak               2-1
    3 @ SEA               2-1
    4 v KC                  3-1

I can see how some are clinging to hope, but I don't see it happening.

3 @ KC

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: The Sox Best Chance for 2012...

It would be nothing short of a miracle if we were to get into the playoffs this year Moon. Id like to see some more "kids" this september and give them a taste of MLB with no pressure or expectations.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And, why not get some prospects for our FAs- to- be on waiver deals?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Needing to win most of the games remaining & hoping for help on the out of town scoreboard is a sad state of affairs at this time. Football season is right around the corner, time to pack it in. Lets go Pats !!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In Response to Re: The Sox Best Chance for 2012...:
    [QUOTE]Needing to win most of the games remaining & hoping for help on the out of town scoreboard is a sad state of affairs at this time. Football season is right around the corner, time to pack it in. Lets go Pats !!
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Tom Brady and the Patriots are winning it all this year. 

I predict a Patriots vs. Packers Super Bowl. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

IF THE SOX WANT TO AT LEAST COMPETE IN 2013,
    THEY HAVE TO RELEASE SALTALAMACCHIA. HE IS 
    AN AUTOMATIC K AND DOES NOT BELONG ON A
    BIG LEAGUE ROSTER.  THIS IS THE FIRST STEP IN
    A REBUILD. NO MORE SALTY.  TWO MORE GUYS
    WHO NEED TO BE GONE ARE AVILES AND ROSS.
     THEY ARE NICE PLAYERS, BUT NOT WINNERS....
    JUST JOURNEYMEN LOOKING FOR A PAYCHECK.
    SORRY...BUT THEY WILL NOT HELP THE SOX.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Stranger things have happened and the Sox could actually make the playoffs...but as stated...it would take a minor miracle for that to happen.  The pitching would have to resurrect itself for any chance at a WC spot.  I really can't wait to see some of the young kids come up in September and actually get a shot a playing.  Sox fans will know in two weeks if this team is going to be in it till the end.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think we know now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to The Sox Best Chance for 2012...:
    [QUOTE]This is the earliest point in a season where I have packed it in. If we were all healthy, maybe I'd hold on to a sliver of hope, but I just don't see it happening this year. That being said, I see basically 2 ways the Sox can win a wild card slot. Both need the Sox to win a high percentage of their remaining games for us to have any chance, but with 5 teams ahead of the Sox trying for the 2 Wild card slots, we need help. I will concentrate on this area for my two areas of hope remaining for the Sox. Hope 1: All 5 team beat each other up in head to head games. They split the games about 50-50 with maybe the teams farther behind winning 1 or 2 more games than the others, leaving them all at about 86 to 87 wins. The Sox would have to go about 28-15 to pull even with all the teams. Hope 2: 1 of the 5 teams goes on a tear, especially against the other 4 teams. knocking them down quickly, everytime they play them. TB or Baltimore makes the most sense as "that team".  One would have to almost single-handedly knock the other out of it (with the Sox beating that team as well). Since the Angels are 2.5 behind, they'd have to win more vs Oakland. Here's a look at who plays who from here on out... Baltimore: 9 TOR (H6/3A) 7 NYY (H4/3A) 6 T.B. (H3/A3) 6 BOS (H3/A3) 3 @ DET 3 @ TEX 3 @ OAK 3 @ SEA 4 v CWS The O's have a tough schedule. There really is no easy opp on this list, except maybe Toronto. I think our best chance is for TB to romp BLat in the 6 games they play Baltimore, and Balt wins 2 of 3 with teams like Detroit and Oakland. Of course, Boston would have to go at least 4-2 vs Balt to have a chance. Tampa Bay: 6 Balt (H3/A3) 6 Bos (H4/A2) 6 NYY (H3/A3) 7 Tor   (H4/A3) 6 Tex  (H3/A3) 4 @ CWS 3 @ LAA 3 v Oak 3 v KC Slightly easier than Baltimore's schedule, but difficult none the less. Detroit: 10 KC (H4/A6) 7 CWS (H3/A4) 6 LAA (H3/A3) 6 Clev (H3/A3) 6 Minn (H3/A3) 3 v Tor 3 v Bal 3 v Oak So much easier than TB or Baltimore, so maybe we need to hope Detroit goes on a tear and both Baltimore and TB struggle from here on out, leaving Boston in 2nd place in the AL East and a WC berth. Oakland: 7 TEX (H3/A4) 7 LAA (H3/A4) 6 SEA (H3/A3) 7 CLE (H3/A4) 3@ NYY 3 v BOS 3 @ TB 3 BAL 3 v MIN Looks tougher than Detroit's. Our hope is Oakland beats other top teams just enough to not beat us out for the last slot, but enough to keep them from running away from everyone. LAA: 9 SEA (H3/A6) 7 Oak (H4/A3) 6 DET (H3/A3) 3 @ BOS 3 v TB 3 v TEX 3 v CWS For us to win 28 games and have a good chance, we need to do this: Boston: 9 NYY (H3/A6)  5-4 6 LAA (H3/A3)  4-2 6 TOR (H3/A3)  4-2 6 TB   (H2/A4)   4-2 6 Bal  (H3/A3)   4-2 3 @ Oak               2-1 3 @ SEA               2-1 4 v KC                  3-1 I can see how some are clinging to hope, but I don't see it happening. 3 @ KC
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Very well thought out. You should try to get a gig like redsox571 (Chip)

Predictions: Sox shall get hot at some point and make it interesting, but it likely won't be enough. BV shall make it to the end of the year, then replaced, with an announcement laced with positive spin complimenting him. (Possibly BC too, +1 yr; +2 yrs, it could be LL out & team sold).

If BV is replaced with a puppet, the FO has learned nothing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I would like to see the Sox somehow finish strong.  If they make the wild card or not it would be great to possibly go into the off season strong and go into next year with better momentum than this.  This team needs some positive mojo.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]Tom Brady is washed up.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

The 6th round draft pick became the greatest quarterback in NFL history. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Sox Best Chance for 2012... : The 6th round draft pick became the greatest quarterback in NFL history. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]Try telling that to the Gaints.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Sox Best Chance for 2012... : Try telling that to the Gaints.
    Posted by CHUBBIE99[/QUOTE]

Im sure Brady and his 3 rings will have no problem with that...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Sox Best Chance for 2012... : Try telling that to the Gaints.
    Posted by CHUBBIE99[/QUOTE]

Tom Brady: "Hi, my name is Tom Brady and I'm a three-time Super Bowl Champion.  My Patriots plan on winning the Super Bowl this year." 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: The Sox Best Chance for 2012...:
    In Response to Re: The Sox Best Chance for 2012... : The 6th round draft pick became the greatest quarterback in NFL history. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream
    Try telling that to the Gaints.

Or, the Packers & 49'ers...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to  Re: The Sox Best Chance for 2012... : In Response to Re: The Sox Best Chance for 2012... : The 6th round draft pick became the greatest quarterback in NFL history.  Posted by Ice-Cream Try telling that to the Gaints. Or, the Packers & 49'ers...
    Are you insinuating that Brett Farve was better than Tom Brady ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Sox Best Chance for 2012... : Are you insinuating that Brett Farve was better than Tom Brady ?

I don't hold the fact that Brett played too long against him or the Packers for letting him go. The guy I'm talking about is the QB who won 3 straight MVPs. True, he threw too many Ints even then, but he played on teams with poor to mediocre defenses, no great RBs, and yet he led them to titles.

A strong argument can also be made for Unitas, Starr, Montana (my choice) and Otto Graham (54-4-3 over his career leading his team to 10 straight league championships winning 7 of them, including 4 straight). 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Brett Farve reminds me of Rickey Henderson--both played waaaaaaaaaaaay too long.  lol

Anyway, back to baseball.  The Red Sox are four games under .500 and seven games behind in the loss column.  With 42 games remaining, the Red Sox have to go 30-12 to have a shot.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Sox Best Chance for 2012... : Are you insinuating that Brett Farve was better than Tom Brady ?

While Brady has never had a Passing Index below 100, his best seasons are:
    (Ages 24-34)
    148  2007
    130  2010
    127  2011
    116  2009
    and 115, 114, 111, 110, 109, and 107

Brett Favre: (age 23-41)
    130, 129, 126, 122, 119, 117, 116
    Red came after age 34 (Tom's age in 2011).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]And, why not get some prospects for our FAs- to- be on waiver deals?

It would be smart move at this point I agree.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Sox Best Chance for 2012... : Tom Brady: "Hi, my name is Tom Brady and I'm a three-time Super Bowl Champion.  My Patriots plan on winning the Super Bowl this year."  
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]  Like he did in 2007?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

On a brighter side, how many people expected the Cardinals to win the ring last year?

They were 7 GB on August 18th.

They had lost one of their best pitchesr to start the season.

They won 11 more than they lost the rest of the way, then played very well in the playoffs.

How about the 2007 Rockies?
    July 26th: 51-51
    Aug 23rd:  64-63 and 7.5 GB with the 9th best NL record on this date.
    They then went 26-10, including 14-1 in their last 5 games to not only make the playoffs, but to tie for the 2nd best record in the NL! They won the tie-breaker, swept the LDS and LCS before losing to the Sox.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Sox Best Chance for 2012... : While Brady has never had a Passing Index below 100, his best seasons are: (Ages 24-34) 148  2007 130  2010 127  2011 116  2009 and 115, 114, 111, 110, 109, and 107 Brett Favre: (age 23-41) 130, 129 , 126, 122, 119 , 117, 116 Red came after age 34 (Tom's age in 2011).
    Im not going to argue your numbers ( and I did like Favre ) but in the clutch Brady was much better than Favre. It's not even close. One guy has 1 Super Bowl ring and the other guy has 3, you do the math.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's not all about rings, but point well taken.

Like with Elway and his many comebacks, to me it begs the question:

"why was he behind in games so often?"

Tongue Out

I don't hold it against Brett for never being behind in a game his entire NFL career.

(just kiddin')