The sox need an ace, who should ben cherington target?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

The sox need an ace, who should ben cherington target?

It has become pretty clear that the sox need an ace if they want to turn this season around and compete in the AL east going forward. The first two names that come to mind in terms of aces that could be available are zach grienke and cole hamels. Matt garza will no doubt be available but he is not an ace. I still question wether or not the phillies will trade hamels, so i think our most realistic option will be grienke as the brewers are not likely to make the playoffs this year and will likely not be able to sign grienke when he hits the market. Now as much as i would love for the sox to acquire felix hernandez, i just dont see the mariners parting with him. Of course if i was ben c i would check in with the m's and make a strong offer. But sticking to realistic options, grienke is our guy. He is 7-2 with a 3.12 era and 81k's so far this year. A rotation of Grienke,Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Dice k would be one of the best in the league. What do you guys think? Who should ben c acquire?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Re: The sox need an ace, who should ben cherington target?

Who's giving up an ace?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I doubt they go after anyone with Lackey coming back. This team is in a reduce payroll mold right now and for the forseeable future.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

The Sox need the aces they already have to step up and be aces. So Lester, Beckett and Buchholz come do your jobs!

Plus, 2012 is the year ownership is focused on hyping their antiquated ball park...all efforts for marketing the ballclub are directed to the 100 year old dump. I know they've done some nice renovations, but the core deficiencies of the park are still there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Well Hamels family are life long Sox fans so they have that going for them. I would never want Greinke in the Al East and Garza will never be the "ace" people want. The best shot is Hamels when he is a FA, but honestly we don't really have any veterans worthwhile to trade along with prospects to get a proven ace. The Sox have a backlog on injured pitchers getting healthy. Therefore, I can see the Sox trying to make any big moves for a pitchers at the deadline. I also think the Sox would be smart to go get Hamels weather it costs them much or not. But this would also require the trade of someone like Lackey or Beckett or both.