The Sox need to sign...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: The Sox need to sign...

In response to pinstripezac's comment:

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

In response to Alibiike's comment:

This is hilarious! You're assuming we get to the 6th inning with a lead, when all indications with the SP we have say we will not, as often as necessary.

We already have one of the stronger pens. The BP is not the problem (except for a bonafide closer). It's the SP!

"except for a bonafide closer)

Which is why the author suggested signing Soriano.

Was he going too fast for you?

LOL HH

I was thinking that too

and then

I thought that's why the poster starter his post with

''This is hilarious!''

soriano is 1 strange dude

but has proven that he can get the job done

in games that count

everyteam could use him

Hi Zac,

I don't know what Soriano is looking for but I always considered him one of the best.

Sox need a proven closer and he is worth 3 year/ 45M.

I discounted the "hilarious" on grounds that the "Sox BP was not the problem."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Soriano is not a good guy.

The Sox are only signing "good guys" - becuase of the clubhouse debacle last season.

Highly doubtful that they will sign him unless it is an incredible bargain for 1 year.

"incredible bargain for 1 year"

If that were the case he would be back pitching for NY.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I think that the Sox bullpen in 2012 appeared to some people as better than it actually was because it was stronger than the starting pitching when compared, but that doesn't mean that they were all that good either.

Far too many blown saves and far too high of an ERA.  How many times did a three or four run inning happen once the bullpen was in the game last year?

Adding another quality arm like Soriano can only help this team as he is likely to be much better than Aceves and Bailey were last year.  If Soriano is at the back end of the game, the other guys can find roles in front of him which will make the bullpen much stronger in 2013.  Aceves and Morales could be given full time chances in the rotation to ease the log jam of relievers or some of the other guys could be traded during the winter or during spring training.

It would be nice to get some starting pitching, but at this point starting pitching is going to cost some of the upper level farm hands and signing Soriano is only going to cost one second round draft pick and some money.  Bradley, Brentz, Boegart, etc are all much more likely to help the Sox in the next couple of seasons than a second round draft pick in next June's draft.

Soriano's value as far as years on a contract and money may have already dropped somewhat, in my opinion, or he already would have been signed.  He may even take a one year $15M hoping to have a good season as a full time closer in 2013 and then try for the big contract again in the 2013 off season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Our bullpen looks fine to me. no need to throw 15M at Soriano for 3 years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Sign lohse.  Trade doubront and lester plus prospects for felix

felix

lohse

buch

lackey

dempster

I think will make us better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I like Charlie D's idea--perhaps a one year deal at $15 for Soriano; could be extended during the season. He will know Mariano may be gone next year and the Yankees surface with a big contract. In the meantime he makes us an even stronger pen and the assurance for the starters you've got a proven guy for the 9 th.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

dear dottie

please ban the word

Felix

Remember...no-one is ever untradeable.  If Kevin Brown, Vernon Wells, CC, and JB are tradeable...anyone is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

This.

Not only that, but the Sox have been bending over backwards not to give up a draft pick all winter...not sure why they'd do it now for a closer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

dear dottie

please ban the word

Felix

Remember...no-one is ever untradeable.  If Kevin Brown, Vernon Wells, CC, and JB are tradeable...anyone is.

Felix Hernandez Will. Not. Be. Traded.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

dear dottie

please ban the word

Felix

felix is the first.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

Scott Podsednik to a minor league deal:

Age G    PA    H   AVG.   R    RBI  HR  SB

36   63  216  60  .302    19   12    1   8

Or at least a spring training invite. Worth having in the system IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

dear dottie

please ban the word

Felix

+1
    only if involved in yet another trade proposal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

This.

Not only that, but the Sox have been bending over backwards not to give up a draft pick all winter...not sure why they'd do it now for a closer.

I like the hanrahan deal so far. Still waiting on the other 3 names involved though.

Sands and pimentel were not big losses IMO and not having to give up a draft pick and pay stupid $$ and years for Soriano is a much better choice.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

This.

I like the hanrahan deal so far. Still waiting on the other 3 names involved though.

Sands and pimentel were not big losses IMO and not having to give up a draft pick and pay stupid $$ and years for Soriano is a much better choice.

Hanrahan might have relatives in Southie too.

Sections
Shortcuts