the sox should do the right thing with drew.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

the sox should do the right thing with drew.

i think that jd is hurting the sox right now.sometimes he is hot but most of the
    time real cold.he plays great defence but his at bats stink.as a right fielder you
    need more home runs and rbis from this spot.i hope theo has a plan but
    francona is very loyal to the players to a fault. between jd and mcdonald
    these two are rally killers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: the sox should do the right thing with drew.

Call Boras and ask for a trade...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

J.D. "Caught Looking" is going nowhere until the end of the season.Frown

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

This is the exchange I envision:

Francona: "JD, I bet those hammies are acting up again.  You should probably take a week to recover ... maybe two."

JD: "Nah, Tito.  I'm fine.  I'm ready to get out there an help the team."

Francona: "C'mon, JD, it's fine.  Take some time to recoup."

JD: "No, really, Tito.  Everything's fine."

Francona: "Ah, okay.  Listen, the team has hired chauffeurs for you.  Meet Moose and Rocco.  They can drive you anywhere you need to go in this nice Town Car.  It's got a really big trunk ... um, I mean back seat."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"J.D. is hurting the Sox right now."

You're just noticing this?

What have you been up to since 2007?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

oh come on Zilla,  I won't argue that J.D. has never been the player we hoped he would be, but his play has never hurt this team.......until this year.  There is no doubt he is a liability in 2011

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: the sox should do the right thing with drew.:
    [QUOTE]J.D. "Caught Looking" is going nowhere until the end of the season.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

I'm particulary fond of the way he has mastered the routine ground-ball to second.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Maybe we can Do The Right Thing and call Spike Lee to do an over the top, fictional, and leftist movie based on the wonderful career of JD Drew. That would be the only way you people would appreciate him for who he is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I actually knew JD when he started with the Cards. While our paths have not crossed in over 10 years, I highly doubt he as changed even one bit. That being said, I am shocked, not surprised, shocked, that JD hasn't simply up and retired. The JD I kew would have not thought he was playing up to par and walked away, and walked away from the money as well

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]oh come on Zilla,  I won't argue that J.D. has never been the player we hoped he would be, but his play has never hurt this team.......until this year.  There is no doubt he is a liability in 2011
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

I would even be so bold as to argue that Drew is not hurting the team this year.  He's not helping the team much, but he's not hurting them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: the sox should do the right thing with drew. : I would even be so bold as to argue that Drew is not hurting the team this year.  He's not helping the team much, but he's not hurting them.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

For 14 million a year I think you can expect he would be able to contribute a little something?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: the sox should do the right thing with drew. :   For 14 million a year I think you can expect he would be able to contribute a little something?
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Well, FanGraphs has his 2011 fielding rating at a UZR/150 of 12.2, which is excellent.  His offense has been very disappointing but his fielding continues at a high level, which might be what keeps him around for the rest of the year, as an admittedly overpaid backup. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The absolute fixation with the production from the 8th spot in the order surprises me a little. The Boston Red Sox have scored more runs than anyone in baseball so far.

Yes I get it, JD Drew looks like a guy whose hitting skills met the aging process with an abrupt thud. He either comes out of it or he will lose playing time to Reddick at least unless or until he reverts to the bad habits of expanding his KZone that have plagued his MiLB career. In the real world baseball teams tend to make these kind of changes a little slower than they are made in forums like this and talk radio. But it does look like that change could transpire as quickly as when Crawford comes off of the DL.

Until Reddick arrived and caught fire I think it is hard to argue that the RS haven't been doing 'the right thing". They have platooned Drew in even the face of poor performance from the RH Ofers. Crawford's DL trip actual has given the Sox the ability to play both Drew and Reddick and see what each has, whether Reddick can maintain a much better hitting performance than his .232 in AAA at this level and if Drew can break out of his own .232 that feature a lack of power to boot.

In short, the RS will get to the right thing at the right time but have the perspective and patience that we as fans don't always have and the luxury that this is the #8 hitter on a very prolific offense.

Just my takes

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to the sox should do the right thing with drew.:
    [QUOTE]i think that jd is hurting the sox right now.sometimes he is hot but most of the time real cold.he plays great defence but his at bats stink.as a right fielder you need more home runs and rbis from this spot.i hope theo has a plan but francona is very loyal to the players to a fault. between jd and mcdonald these two are rally killers.
    Posted by soxyjim[/QUOTE]

I agree but we may still see Drew a lot more than anyone else in RF until his contract expires, unless Theo can possibly find a taker for him the rest of the season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: the sox should do the right thing with drew. :   For 14 million a year I think you can expect he would be able to contribute a little something?
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that Drew is earning his salary this year.  Far from it, but that's the price a team will generally pay in the last year of a long term deal.  I'm just saying that he is not hurting his team, ie, he is not costing the teams wins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]The absolute fixation with the production from the 8th spot in the order surprises me a little. The Boston Red Sox have scored more runs than anyone in baseball so far. Yes I get it, JD Drew looks like a guy whose hitting skills met the aging process with an abrupt thud. He either comes out of it or he will lose playing time to Reddick at least unless or until he reverts to the bad habits of expanding his KZone that have plagued his MiLB career. In the real world baseball teams tend to make these kind of changes a little slower than they are made in forums like this and talk radio. But it does look like that change could transpire as quickly as when Crawford comes off of the DL. Until Reddick arrived and caught fire I think it is hard to argue that the RS haven't been doing 'the right thing". They have platooned Drew in even the face of poor performance from the RH Ofers. Crawford's DL trip actual has given the Sox the ability to play both Drew and Reddick and see what each has, whether Reddick can maintain a much better hitting performance than his .232 in AAA at this level and if Drew can break out of his own .232 that feature a lack of power to boot. In short, the RS will get to the right thing at the right time but have the perspective and patience that we as fans don't always have and the luxury that this is the #8 hitter on a very prolific offense. Just my takes
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

The point is, Drew wasn't signed to hit 8th.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

I think Drew has cost us games.  Tons of men LOB with him watching pitches go by.  He does play great defense, but offensively he is less of a threat than Lackey.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: the sox should do the right thing with drew. : I would even be so bold as to argue that Drew is not hurting the team this year.  He's not helping the team much, but he's not hurting them.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

His defense has been very good and he has been very streaky in the past....maybe he has one more of those month long hot streaks in him...right now would sure be a good time for it.

Sections
Shortcuts