The Sox Training program -revisited

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The Sox Training program -revisited

It is time..once again..to start questioning the Red Sox training program? With the exception of Napoli and Middlebrooks..both of whom have actual play related injuries..how many Sox players are either beat up or on the DL because of things like hamstring tightness, calf soreness, etc.

The latest...Xander..leaving yesterday's marathon game with a hamstring cramp.

All this muscle tightness and soreness tells me that perhaps the training program is too concerned with building muscle and strength and less concerned about flexibility. I remember discussing this with my personal trainer way back when..and that was her take.

Maybe they would benefit from a yoga routine?

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: The Sox Training program -revisited

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is time..once again..to start questioning the Red Sox training program? With the exception of Napoli and Middlebrooks..both of whom have actual play related injuries..how many Sox players are either beat up or on the DL because of things like hamstring tightness, calf soreness, etc.

All this muscle tightness and soreness tells me that perhaps the training program is too concerned with building muscle and strength and less concerned about flexibility. I remember discussing this with my personal trainer way back when..and that was her take.

[/QUOTE]

Players are going to get injured, b@nged up, and cramped up all the time.  Reality is staying healthy is almost a skill set, some players inherently don't have the bodies to play 162 games a year + all the working out they have to do to get ready etc etc etc.  I don't think a "cramp" is an indictment on the training program. 

I would be surprised if stretching wasn't part of the routines they go through, very surprised! and I don't think getting a cramp is an indictment on a training program.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Players are going to get injured, b@nged up, and cramped up all the time.  Reality is staying healthy is almost a skill set, some players inherently don't have the bodies to play 162 games a year + all the working out they have to do to get ready etc etc etc.  I don't think a "cramp" is an indictment on the training program. 

I would be surprised if stretching wasn't part of the routines they go through, very surprised! and I don't think getting a cramp is an indictment on a training program.

[/QUOTE]

Don't have the bodies to play 162 games. Maybe then they don't have the bodies to make millions watching from the bench.Would Tom Brady miss a game with a cramp?? Would Chara not play with a broken finger? Call work and tell them your taken a few days off because you have a cramp? lol lol lol .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't have the bodies to play 162 games. Maybe then they don't have the bodies to make millions watching from the bench.Would Tom Brady miss a game with a cramp?? Would Chara not play with a broken finger? Call work and tell them your taken a few days off because you have a cramp? lol lol lol .

[/QUOTE]

Tom Brady doesn't have to play 162 games a year lol lol lol.

...that's just one reason why it's not a good ideal to compare baseball to football players and hockey players.  It has nothing to do with toughness and everything to do with how technical baseball is.  If you have a cramp you can still throw your 250 LB forward and effectively do the same thing in football, in baseball that would be equivalent to swinging a bat with an injury, which even if you are tough enough to do it your mechanics would be all off.  YES baseball players could be tough like Football players, and when they are they end up putting up HISTORICALLY BAD SEASONS like the one John Lackey had when he hid an injury all year long.  Baseball is different...very different.  Same thing with Ellsbury when he broke his ribs, do you think if he really really really wanted to be a tough guy he could just swing through the pain? maybe pop a pain killer and just go out there and do it? of course he probably could have....and he might have batted .100 for the rest of the season too.  Also look how b@nged up those others players get? playing thought injury can lead to more sever injuries which is one reason why a lot of players in other sports have much shorter careers.

We are talking about a guy who missed one partial game for precautionary reasons.  Are we going to make him next Ellsbury now and just bash him until he is out of town and then wonder why he left us???

WOW Xander Bogaerts got a cramp, HOW DARE HE GET A CRAMP!!!! what a bum!!!! he will never be anything.  Is this how cynical we have really become?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but I think it is very possible that spring training was a little lax this year.  Just my feeling.

Stabbed by Foulke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd bet serious money that injuries probably have 10x more to do with age than training.

And I think cramps have more to do with dehydration than with training.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I'm a firm believer in old school spring training -

no weights, stretching, keep slim by smoking...worked for Yaz

As always - 100% correct!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd bet serious money that injuries probably have 10x more to do with age than training.

[/QUOTE]

You're correct.  Nutrition/hydration lead to cramps the vast majority of the time.  The only way physical conditioning might be attainable to having cramps and hindering play would be if these guys were running a marathon.

It could be a million things, perhaps the night before he got little sleep and his diet incorporated something in it that led him to dehydrate easier.  If known I'd probably just throw him a banana and drink in the dugout and tell him to get back out there.  It sounds like they took him out for precautionary reasons. A bad cramp can feel like an acute injury, but with a real injury it will continue to bother you and cramp will go away within minutes, and realistically you could be fed, hydrated and ready to go later that day...but in the immediate they did the right thing. 

Playing through a small injury could be the difference between missing a day or two and missing a few months.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Having Shane bunt the other night with the slow AJ on, was a huge mistake by JF.  Shane is more valuable to this team than Ortiz and no one is asking him to sprint down first.  In fact no one is asking david to jog fast to first.  Speaking of Ortiz, the twitter picture he posted in January is a distant memory.  Next he will be posting pictures of his back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but I think it is very possible that spring training was a little lax this year.  Just my feeling.

Stabbed by Foulke.

It's lax every year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Not that I trust a single person on this message board when it comes to knowing adequate training for major league ball players, but at the very least you should have noticed that since March 1, over 25 pitchers have required Tommy John surgery, and not one of them plays for the Red Sox.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's a great point about dehydration causing the cramps...but still...!!!  If indeed those cramps are caused by dehydration..then how does that happen in a game situation? It almost seems inexcusable to allow players to become dehydrated.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Having Shane bunt the other night with the slow AJ on, was a huge mistake by JF.  Shane is more valuable to this team than Ortiz and no one is asking him to sprint down first.  In fact no one is asking david to jog fast to first.  Speaking of Ortiz, the twitter picture he posted in January is a distant memory.  Next he will be posting pictures of his back.

[/QUOTE]

Ha...well if you remember..I never thought that Ortiz picture on twitter was real anyhow. I said many times I thought it was photo-shopped and now I feel that way more than ever. Who goes into spring training looking trim and fit..and comes out of it fatter and slower??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ha...well if you remember..I never thought that Ortiz picture on twitter was real anyhow. I said many times I thought it was photo-shopped and now I feel that way more than ever. Who goes into spring training looking trim and fit..and comes out of it fatter and slower??

[/QUOTE]

I was attacked for stating the obvious about Papi's conditioning/physique this Spring training - looks like I was correct..again

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not that I trust a single person on this message board when it comes to knowing adequate training for major league ball players, but at the very least you should have noticed that since March 1, over 25 pitchers have required Tommy John surgery, and not one of them plays for the Red Sox.

[/QUOTE]

Although not spelled out, I don't think Miscricket was including the pitchers.  All are in agreement that Lackey, Lestor and the rest of the pitchers are in great shape.  I would also bet that the pitchers have their own trainers.

I also think that the veteran players have their own trainers, or at least some like Ortiz.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was attacked for stating the obvious about Papi's conditioning/physique this Spring training - looks like I was correct..again

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I remember.  I was willing to give Ortiz the benefit of the doubt.  Last year he looked better in person, this year when at the games, he does not look better.  He is jogging slower to first than he has ever before.  I hope he gets back on track soon.  Since the twin killing he has been a bigger problem than JBJ, Sizemore and anyone else who is beaten up on by posters and press.

18. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts