The Story of Game One vs. the Rays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The Story of Game One vs. the Rays

What was the story of game one? That's easy. The story of last night's game was pitching. Lester was clearly on his best game. What a great start by him, going 7+ innings and only giving up 2 runs. That is the definition of a great post season start!

The opposite end of that spectrum was Moore. The pitcher everyone was so afraid of had a very bad night. Just goes to show you never quite know what is going to happen. It's kind of ironic since the comments on this board the other day seemed to be giving mad props to Moore while at the same time giving a "fingers-crossed" attitude about Lester's start.  You know a pitcher is having a bad night when the box score shows that every member but two of the  Sox starting lineup managed to bang out an RBI...and every member of the lineup crossed the plate. How many homers were there last night by Sox players? Sweet music indeed! In my book 12 runs scored is called "batting practice".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: The Story of Game One vs. the Rays

IMVHO-

1-Gomes' mad dash home put pressure on Moore and inspired his teammates.

2-Lester's inning following that.  11 pitches.  I think it made a statement that he was going to make that lead hold up.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

We got an amazing number of good breaks in the pivotal fourth inning.  The Rays are usually a very good defensive team but they gave us four gifts in that inning, none of which were recorded as errors, weirdly enough. 

The big thing, though, is that we capitalized on every break, like good teams do.  And then Lester did what good pitchers are supposed to do. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Yes, Lester was terrific, but the surprise for me was all the hitting after a 5 day hiatus.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

We got an amazing number of good breaks in the pivotal fourth inning.  The Rays are usually a very good defensive team but they gave us four gifts in that inning, none of which were recorded as errors, weirdly enough. 

The big thing, though, is that we capitalized on every break, like good teams do.  And then Lester did what good pitchers are supposed to do. 

+1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

In response to miscricket's comment:

[QUOTE]

What was the story of game one? That's easy. The story of last night's game was pitching. Lester was clearly on his best game. What a great start by him, going 7+ innings and only giving up 2 runs. That is the definition of a great post season start!

The opposite end of that spectrum was Moore. The pitcher everyone was so afraid of had a very bad night. Just goes to show you never quite know what is going to happen. It's kind of ironic since the comments on this board the other day seemed to be giving mad props to Moore while at the same time giving a "fingers-crossed" attitude about Lester's start.  You know a pitcher is having a bad night when the box score shows that every member but two of the  Sox starting lineup managed to bang out an RBI...and every member of the lineup crossed the plate. How many homers were there last night by Sox players? Sweet music indeed! In my book 12 runs scored is called "batting practice".

today will be a closer game.  Lester has always been a favorite player of mine.  Moore wasn't able to shake off the error, which keeps him out the elite pitching status.  Lester's blood pressure I bet did not even go up a bit after the first homer.

[/QUOTE]

Lester mostly seems unflappable..even when he is struggling. It's probably a perspective thing. I am sure that in the grand scheme of things..being on the mound is enough..and everything else is gravy.

I was a little surprised that Moore fell apart like he did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Sox also did what they always do; get the pitch count high early on.  Definitely capitalized on the gaffs, and still managed to put up 4 more in the 9th.

They're going to get the pitch count up on Price tonight, too, but no way he makes as many mistakes and neither will TB. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

If that 4th inning doesn't lay to rest the argument that errors tell most of the story on defense, then I don't know what does.

The poor defense didn't end in the 4th either.