The success of Carp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The success of Carp

He has more extra base hits than Victor Martinez, Andre Ethier, Martin Prado, Pablo Sandoval and Ryan Zimmerman. He is a great bat off the bench for the Sox. I bet the Mariners wish they found a place for him now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

Re: The success of Carp

who was it that said the sox needed to get vm back?...oh thats rt...it was softy

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

.317/.360/.659/1.019

What's not to like?

5 HRs and 19 RBIs in just 82 ABs!

Give him 570 ABs at that rate, and he's at ...

35 HRs

133 RBIs.

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to stillallbost08's comment:

who was it that said the sox needed to get vm back?...oh thats rt...it was softy

He also wanted Overbay (.751 in 202 PAs) or Loney (.915 in 219 PAs). Loney's the closest thing he's got right in over 2 years.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A Carp/Gomes platoon in LF might work out quite well.

Nava in RF.

Victorino in CF.

Ellsbury bringing us a nice prospect.

JBJ the defensive late inning replacement.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Nava in RF.

Victorino in CF.

Sox4ever

There is no way Ellsbury for a prospect helps this team at all. Now or in the future. They would get prospect for him next June, JBJ doesn't become any better sitting on bench, and Ellsbury is a very good player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Nava in RF.

Victorino in CF.

Sox4ever

You are becoming obsessed with trading Ellsbury. Why ?  This makes no sense .  You are losing touch with the reality that others are seeing. Your personal biases are overcoming your common sense. A " nice prospect "?  What exactly is that ?  We are in first place , for heavens sake. And you are talking about " nice prospects ".  Moonslav , I think you are losing it. You care more about pontificating than you do about the Sox winning. And , the idea to keep Bradley on the team , on the bench , and used as a late inning defensive replacement is too completely absurd to even contemplate.  This would be the worst possible thing for his development. You are not thinking clearly.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Nava in RF.

Victorino in CF.

Sox4ever

You are becoming obsessed with trading Ellsbury. Why ?  This makes no sense .  You are losing touch with the reality that others are seeing. Your personal biases are overcoming your common sense. A " nice prospect "?  What exactly is that ?  We are in first place , for heavens sake. And you are talking about " nice prospects ".  Moonslav , I think you are losing it. You care more about pontificating than you do about the Sox winning. And , the idea to keep Bradley on the team , on the bench , and used as a late inning defensive replacement is too completely absurd to even contemplate.  This would be the worst possible thing for his development. You are not thinking clearly.  

Agree.  I think Mooney needs a reality intervention.  If he continues along this path, it's only matter of time before Conan starts trailing him with smart-alacky quips.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

A Nava/Gomes/Carp rotation in LF and Napoli/Carp at first already works out quite well.

Nava in RF.

On an as needed basis only.  He's done a great job filling in.  Nice to have that flexibility and I hope it can be maintained.  

Victorino in CF.

So if the injuries return, the Red Sox are left with JBJ and his .523 OPS.

As silly as a Softlaw suggestion.  This is time to step on the gas and go for it.

I could see this happening in September, or if there's room on the roster in October.  If you get your wish, there won't be an October.

Sox4ever

Not if you were running the show.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I see Moon's thinking:

Get something for Ells while he is hot  and before he comes down with a mysterious ailment that could put him on the DL between now and Aug.1. 

Are there teams that might have an interest in Ells--don't know...most likely.

As for the rest of the outfield:

1. My concern is ShaVic's health--he got up off home plate very slowly last night--perhaps  he was winded--could have been his back. I enjoy watching him play CF-he gets a great jump on the ball and he has a much better arm than Ells.

2. Carp/ Gomes, Vic and Nava-------------Move Ells for prospect(s). Back-up plan JBJ and  move Hazelbaker to the 40 drop Hassan off and you've got a fairly solid replacement defensively, some speed and some power--no Maj. League experience.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Thank you Seattle for letting Carp go.   Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Simply put, Carp is a pro. He won't complain about any role he is given, and is ready when called upon. Great guy on the team, versatile, perfect 24th or 25th player on a contending team. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Carp has more RBIs than Josh Hamilton (whom the Angels are paying $25 million).  Cool

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Agree.  I think Mooney needs a reality intervention.  If he continues along this path, it's only matter of time before Conan starts trailing him with smart-alacky quips.

Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsportsfan228. Show bostonsportsfan228's posts

It was known carp had offensive talent at the beginning of the year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

He was a troublesome hitter for the M's when they played the Sox.

I was hoping at some point they would try to trade for him. He had a nice inside out swing I thought would do well at Fenway. He's a strong pull hitter as well--those are not cheap shots he hits into the bleachers in right center.

Good pick-up BenC.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Carp is not the greatest fielder but has a good bat.  If given every day playing I could see him it 25-30 HR.  Can he field 1B? I wouldconsider him there next year if we had no better options...a more realistic is I can see him DHing for someone. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Mike Carp was forced out by Seattle's offseason acquisitions* of Kendrys Morales, Mike Morse, Raul Ibanez and Jason Bay, who have posted OPS+ of 137, 114, 114 and 111 this season on a team that purportedly was in desperate need of offense.

I was hoping that Carp would perform well in Boston and the nearly 27-year-old certainly has improved over last season:

2012 189 PA, .213/.312/.341/.654, OPS+ 88

2013 89 PA, .317/.360/.659/1.018, OPS+ 165

Carp's true value probably falls somewhere in-between, but the Red Sox control Carp for three more seasons to find out.

Each January the M's tour the state with the Mariner Caravan, which bring a broadcaster and two lesser players to each stop. This year I  attended an event that featured Mike Carp and John Jaso, two players who were traded away before Opening Day. Two years ago that stop featured Doug Fister and Josh Wilson, neither of whom lasted the entire season with the Mariners.

But I digress ...

* Morales was the only addition I supported, in part because none of the four acquisitions remains under team control after this season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

It's unexpected performances like Carp's that often are key pieces in winning seasons.

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Before 2003 season the Sox acquired a relatively unknown l/h hiitter without a clear defensive position , speed, or offensive reputation. His name ? David Ortiz.

Two weeks ago a BRILLIANT poster hereabouts looked up minor league / majors records and compared Ortiz to Carp as far as age, promotions, timing of career "leaps forward " in development, etc. History suggests Carp is / was approximately 80-85 % of Papi ( fewer BB's) but at one year older at EVERY development stage ( relatively late for M.L. starters).

Kudos to Ben C. for the pickup, I foresee Carp as a great part-timer now and an excellent DH / backup 1B for the long haul. Perhaps .280 / .350 /.475 or so, 30 + HR and about 100 RBI over full seasons.

Of course, FWIW  this spring I ALSO predicted Doubront would win 20 games and compete for Cy Young award, and Sox would win 97 games.

The BEST factor is that Softlaw said Carp was and is a bum, so we can probably pencil him in for the Hall of Fame someday, LOL.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This thread has kind of drifted, like many seem to do. As for Carp, he has probably exceeded expectations. I think his role should be expanded , at least until he tapers off. Would not mind seeing him play some first base against righhanders. Give Napoli , who has been striking out more and more , a breather.  That would allow us to play an outfield of Ellsbury , Victorino and Nava against righties. I was not a big fan of Carp , but he has changed my mind with his production. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Before 2003 season the Sox acquired a relatively unknown l/h hiitter without a clear defensive position , speed, or offensive reputation. His name ? David Ortiz.

Two weeks ago a BRILLIANT poster hereabouts looked up minor league / majors records and compared Ortiz to Carp as far as age, promotions, timing of career "leaps forward " in development, etc. History suggests Carp is / was approximately 80-85 % of Papi ( fewer BB's) but at one year older at EVERY development stage ( relatively late for M.L. starters).

Kudos to Ben C. for the pickup, I foresee Carp as a great part-timer now and an excellent DH / backup 1B for the long haul. Perhaps .280 / .350 /.475 or so, 30 + HR and about 100 RBI over full seasons.

Of course, FWIW  this spring I ALSO predicted Doubront would win 20 games and compete for Cy Young award, and Sox would win 97 games.

The BEST factor is that Softlaw said Carp was and is a bum, so we can probably pencil him in for the Hall of Fame someday, LOL.

My early season thread, "Don't carp about Carp", was the first look at what we found thread here. Carp's numbers over a 162 game schedule were very decent, and his hit chart showed tremendous distance on balls he pulls, and good power spraying around. I'm delighted in his performance, but surprised? No.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Nava in RF.

Victorino in CF.

Sox4ever

OK, let's get nothing but a draft pick when Jacoby walks. That's so clearly a great move. You are right. I have lost it.

You left out the part where I want to flip the propsects we get for Ellsbury and Drew, add someone else and get a more useful piece than either one of the guys we trade away... a player under team control for at least 2014. Yeah, that's a dumb idea: trying to win this year and next. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Sections
Shortcuts