The Sun Is Setting on Daniel Bard's Career As a Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Sun Is Setting on Daniel Bard's Career As a Red Sox

What are the Red Sox to do? I am guessing they will let him ride out the season, but given his arbitration eligibility, the Red Sox won't offer it to him.

Tonight he pitched 1 inning, gave up a hit, 2 runs and walked 5 batters.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: The Sun Is Setting on Daniel Bard's Career As a Red Sox

In response to ADG's comment:

What are the Red Sox to do? I am guessing they will let him ride out the season, but given his arbitration eligibility, the Red Sox won't offer it to him.

Tonight he pitched 1 inning, gave up a hit, 2 runs and walked 5 batters.

He was always one my favorite Red Sox pitchers.  It is very unfortunate what has happened to him over the past couple of years.  I am not sure that he will ever be a dominant pitcher again. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

What do you think happened to him?  Attempt to make him a starter messed him up?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I almost think this was inevitable. He started falling off in late august/sept 2011. I think starting accelerated it. Happened with Miller too. Kinda ironic that they both pitched on that championship NC team together too.

Im with ADG. They ride out the year, hope for the best and then make their decision. If hes still struggling, they will non tender him and let some other team try to save him. We cant hold a valuable roster spot with him throwing like this. Its too bad. I, like most, really like Bard. Hes a soft spoken hard working kid. Have to see how the year plays out, but it doesnt look good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

What do you think happened to him?  Attempt to make him a starter messed him up?

No, this is well beyond that.  The starter thing probably didn't help but it's not like he was ever the master of control even as a reliever.  Even in his good years from 2009-11, he averaged around 3.5 walks per 9 innings pitched.

It's Steve Blass disease, pure and simple, and I'm not sure anyone has ever really gotten over that.  There was no explanation when it happened to Blass 40 years ago, and there is none now for Bard.  IMO, he has pitched his last game for the Red Sox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

He needs to find out what it is inside of him that's causing him to sabotage himself, he needs a good pychologist, a guide.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

No, this is well beyond that.  The starter thing probably didn't help but it's not like he was ever the master of control even as a reliever.  Even in his good years from 2009-11, he averaged around 3.5 walks per 9 innings pitched.

It's Steve Blass disease, pure and simple, and I'm not sure anyone has ever really gotten over that.  There was no explanation when it happened to Blass 40 years ago, and there is none now for Bard.  IMO, he has pitched his last game for the Red Sox.

EXACTLY!!  This garbage that simply turning him into a starter ruined him is SO stupid.  The guy has the best coaches around....has a dynamite arm.....the problem is not that he started a year ago....it's the stuff between his ears.  As much as I hate to admit it.....he's done here.  I think the Sox though will hold onto him because he will net us NOTHING in return and is probably better than anything we get in return.  By next season he'll be gone.  I'm rooting for him BIG TIME though that when the time comes and he's pitching elsewhere that he finds it again.....he was a very special talent and you hate to see that go to dumpster.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

It's a confidence issue, as the talent is still there. Anyone who has studied the history of competitive athletics, the highs and lows, understand the issue. The most talented athletes can reach a point where they don't believe they can perform on the big stage. With the performing arts, they call it stage fright. It's no as easy as just seeing a sports psychologist and it goes away, there has to be a moment of belief that takes place on the big stage. That can happen from one good pitch or one bad patch that produces good results.

Part of the problem is the "what's wrong with him" circle that keeps swirling.

The best move for the Red Sox is to take him away from the stage long enough to where the assumption is made that he's washed up and out of baseball and the narrative moves on. The worst thing is to parade him out there in New England in front of those "lets go see the potential Red Sox major league talent and hey look there's a guy who lost it and is getting hammered by career minor league nobodies" fans. During that time, he should be working/spending time privately with someone whose known him and worked with him since childhood.

Kinda ironic that they both pitched on that championship NC team together too.

UNC-Chapel Hill has never won a college world series "championship". Bard and Miller were on the runner up team, in 2006, to Oregon State. Ellsbury had left and was not on that Oregon State team, or the OSU Beavers team that won it in 2007.

Jackie Bradley, Jr. was the MVP in the College World Series for the 2010 Champions, South Carolina. They repeated, the following year, though Bradley had an injury that dropped him the draft and made it possible for the Red Sox to draft him.

Don't mean to go Hill, but for college baseball fans, it's noteworthy that the ACC conference is not known for great college baseball. The only College World Series champion from the ACC is Wake Forest, back in 1955. South Carolina was in the SEC, for it's two titles.

The SEC is, by far, the best big business college athletics conference in the United States. College Football is the revenue king for college sports, which is burdened by the "equal protection" fraud that is known as "Title IX". SEC is, by far, the king of college football. Big "Ten", PAC "Ten" are pretender coferences. Since the decline at Oklahoma, the Big "8"/Big "12" is also a 2nd rate conference.

Your right, thanks for the correction. I knew they were in the CWS that year. My bad.

By the way, why did you stop your blog a couple years back?

I started one a few years ago, but it just got to be too much to keep up with. Did it for a year or so and then just had to stop.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I almost think this was inevitable. He started falling off in late august/sept 2011. I think starting accelerated it. Happened with Miller too. Kinda ironic that they both pitched on that championship NC team together too.

The University of North Carolina may have won an ACC title during the tenure of Daniel Bard and Andrew Miller, but North Carolina's highest finishes in the College World Series came in 2006 and 2007 when the Tar Heels were runners-up to Oregon State:

http://www.ncaa.com/history/baseball/d1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

The University of North Carolina may have won an ACC title during the tenure of Daniel Bard and Andrew Miller, but North Carolina's highest finishes in the College World Series came in 2006 and 2007 when the Tar Heels were runners-up to Oregon State:

http://www.ncaa.com/history/baseball/d1

Thanks Hill..I got some things confused. I appreciate you and softy correcting me.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Im with ADG. They ride out the year, hope for the best and then make their decision. If hes still struggling, they will non tender him and let some other team try to save him. We cant hold a valuable roster spot with him throwing like this. Its too bad. I, like most, really like Bard. Hes a soft spoken hard working kid. Have to see how the year plays out, but it doesnt look good.

I would say that the two Tar Heel golden boys career paths are actually opposite:  

Bard was quickly made a reliever, had tremendous success, showed signs of fall-off, converted to starter, fell off the table completely.

Miller was kept as a starter, was totally horrible, to the point that he was almost out of baseball until the Sox tooke a redemption flyer on him, converted him to a reliever.  Since then he has turned into a good, mostly-reliable lefty pen arm.  

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Bard will either be non-tendered or traded.  Not that I think he has much if any trade value, but he could be a throw in for a team that thinks they can revive him.  So sad too, we really could of used the old Bard in that bullpen this year as well. 

I just don't understand how someone can go from being that good to being that bad.  I know the answer(s) to that question but it still blows my mind.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I just knew Hill would come in post a mundacity.

LOL ... we can count on you trying to impress with your vocabulary only to stumble with a nonword.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

is it time to make him an OF..........Rick Ankiel

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Bard will either be non-tendered or traded.  Not that I think he has much if any trade value, but he could be a throw in for a team that thinks they can revive him.  So sad too, we really could of used the old Bard in that bullpen this year as well. 

I just don't understand how someone can go from being that good to being that bad.  I know the answer(s) to that question but it still blows my mind.

This Seattle fan had hoped that the Red Sox would send Daniel Bard to the Mariners in exchange for Mike Carp. The M's might be fortunate that did not happen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Mundacity       An event or happening such as a conversation or movie that is so mind numbingly mundane that it is audacious in its attempt to bore you to death.

Ah, yes, the Urban Dictionary (at No. 4):

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mundane%20conversation

I stand corrected.

23. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts