The Tampa Bay Rays Are Not Going Away: Part VII

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: The Tampa Bay Rays Are Not Going Away: Part VII

In Response to Re: The Tampa Bay Rays Are Not Going Away: Part VII:
    In Response to Re: The Tampa Bay Rays Are Not Going Away: Part VII : Thanks for making a call. Too many posters here are quick to judge another's mistakes, but when they never make a projection themselves, but then come back with "I knew this or that would happen", it irks me.
    Posted by moonslav59

Understandable, and now that you put it this way, I agree.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

The Rays faded away in 2011. Enter the greatest season collapse in MLB history. The Rays suk.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

What is the point of this thread? The Rays have the best pitching staff in baseball and are probably the best team in baseball. They may win the division by 10 games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

They will win the division.  I don't think they'll get any further than that though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

About get knocked off by Tigers today...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Rays pitching and defense let up 0-3 runs in 81 of 162 games last year, but down the stretch, in the dog days, they let up 0-3 runs in 34 of their last 57 games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

The Tigers reveal the manifest flaw that is the Rays, every year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Nothing wrong with maintaining a thread on another team.... this forum is a better place when we can discuss/learn our adversaries.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nothing wrong with maintaining a thread on another team.... this forum is a better place when we can discuss/learn our adversaries.
    Posted by BurritoT

Threads on tghe Yanks are numerous. I thought it prudent to have a thread on the team that really knows how to build a young pitching staff. Yes, TB has some major problems. I can't help but think that if they could just increase payroll by $10-15M, they'd be the favorites. It's a shame they play in an unappreciative area. They should move to North Carolina: the area with countless minor league teams, but no big club. They'd thrive there. My guess is the rays will trade uipton this deadline and Shields this winter, however, I don't think they'll miss a beat as a result. They have so many good young prospects, it's hard to keep track of them all. I'm also pretty sure they will get good to great return on Upton and Shields.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

The 2012 Tigers are contenders.

The 2012 Rays are not contenders.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

The 2012 Tigers are contenders. The 2012 Rays are not contenders.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

I no way shape or form does that relate to eachother at all but i suppose you think you are being clever.

Ill clue you in on some information (Something you dont understand to well) The tigers play in the central division and will probably win the AL Central. The Rays have a decent chance of winning the division. If they dont do that there are now two wild cards and they could claim one of those. Do you hate being wrong?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: The Tampa Bay Rays Are Not Going Away: Part VII :
    I have to wonder why we are being treated to Part VII of this saga.  Most people would agree the Ray have an abundance of good to very good pitching, starting and relieving, so of course they are not "going away."   There are several posters who have stated that TB's offense is too weak to make them a contender. End of story.  On top of which, moonslav is apparently doing this because of something hankwilliamsjr wrote.  Since when is hankwilliamsjr an authority on MLB?  Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOT] I have been saying TB will be contenders since 2008. This was before softy said for the first time "they will fade away" in 2010. That's when I started the first thread: part mock & part my longstanding position. Early last year he said the Rays would not compete for the playoffs. He kept repeating it over and over. The other parts were started mostly because the earlier parts had fallen to the latter pages and could not be accessed. Part VII was started because I think TB is better than last year and should win 92-94 games. I'm not alone in this belief, but I think I am still in the minority.
    Posted by moonslav59

And you claimed that the sawx would be contenders the past few years.

But I don't see anyone starting threads mocking you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And you claimed that the sawx would be contenders the past few years.

But I don't see anyone starting threads mocking you.

You mock me nearly every post.

FYI, the Sox were contenders last year finishing 1 game out of the playoffs. My definition of "contending" was clearly stated from day 1 of the first TB not going away thread. You may disagree with my definition, but according to my pre-stated conditions, TB did not go away.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: The Tampa Bay Rays Are Not Going Away: Part VII : I no way shape or form does that relate to eachother at all but i suppose you think you are being clever. Ill clue you in on some information (Something you dont understand to well) The tigers play in the central division and will probably win the AL Central. The Rays have a decent chance of winning the division. If they dont do that there are now two wild cards and they could claim one of those. Do you hate being wrong?
    Posted by RSF4Life234

mr. hanky has his own dictionary of baseball terminology:

Contender: means you have to win the WS or you were a non-contender.
    Pop: means only HR power not gap power.
    Union slug: only players softy hates.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

And you claimed that the sawx would be contenders the past few years. But I don't see anyone starting threads mocking you. You mock me nearly every post. FYI, the Sox were contenders last year finishing 1 game out of the playoffs. My definition of "contending" was clearly stated from day 1 of the first TB not going away thread. You may disagree with my definition, but according to my pre-stated conditions, TB did not go away.
    Posted by moonslav59

But, again, you don't see me starting threads mocking you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Small sample size proves absolutely that the first place Rays are not going away.

Just like the small sample size absolutely proves all the negative sewage about the Sox now polluting this board.

So just what is proven, all you nattering nabobs of negativism?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

But, again, you don't see me starting threads mocking you.

So, starting a couple threads mocking someone is worse than  posting 80% of your threads mocking Sox fans and their positions?

Besides, the thread was not just about mocking softy. There were quite a few people who were saying TB would "go away". After 2009, many fans judged that 2008 was a fluke. A few of us viewed the Rays as team with solid pitching that was going to compete for a long time due to solid and deep drafts. There were a few threads that morphed into talking about the Rays. Aroung May of 2010, softy made a claim that the Rays would "fade away in the dog days of summer" and "would go away". I started the first thread not just to mock softy, in fact softy still feels he's been right all along on TB not ever being contenders, making the sequels all the more merrier, but also for the thread to be a place to discuss one of the AL East's strongest teams without having to do so on threads not concerning TB.

If a little mocking upsets you so much, perhaps you should read over your past 100 posts. 

(BTW, softy and others have started countless threads mocking me. I'm all for freedom of speech, and have never reported anyone for censorship. I wouldn't want you to tell them to stop mocking me, but somehow I don't think you'd ever do that anyways. Mocking seems fine with you as long as the target is to your liking.)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

If they dont do that there are now two wild cards and they could claim one of those. Do you hate being wrong?

Making the playoffs does not equal championship contender. In the case of the pretender Rays, it will be as pretenders.

The current poster has been blowing Wastefield and the Rays for years. Wastefield was forced out after years of being washed up. The Rays, despite Moonshwemp's claims about great pitching, are not the SF Giants. The Rays are pretenders, and will prove the same thing every year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

If they dont do that there are now two wild cards and they could claim one of those. Do you hate being wrong? Making the playoffs does not equal championship contender. In the case of the pretender Rays, it will be as pretenders. The current poster has been blowing Wastefield and the Rays for years. Wastefield was forced out after years of being washed up. The Rays, despite Moonshwemp's claims about great pitching, are not the SF Giants. The Rays are pretenders, and will prove the same thing every year.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr
    The rays have a better chance at the WS with a better team than the last 2 WS champs,cards and giants.No doubt about it.....and that makes them CONTENDERS!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: The Tampa Bay Rays Are Not Going Away: Part VII:
     If they dont do that there are now two wild cards and they could claim one of those. Do you hate being wrong? Making the playoffs does not equal championship contender. In the case of the pretender Rays, it will be as pretenders. The current poster has been blowing Wastefield and the Rays for years. Wastefield was forced out after years of being washed up. The Rays, despite Moonshwemp's claims about great pitching, are not the SF Giants. The Rays are pretenders, and will prove the same thing every year.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr
    The rays have a better chance at the WS with a better team than the last 2 WS champs,cards and giants.No doubt about it.....and that makes them CONTENDERS!

I never heard softy calling the cards a contender last mis-Septemeber or even on September 30th.

Odds to win the 2011 World Series

Philadelphia Phillies - 7/4
    New York Yankees - 4/1
    Detroit Tigers - 7/1
    Milwaukee Brewers - 15/2
    Tampa Bay Rays - 8/1
    Texas Rangers - 8/1
    Arizona Diamondbacks - 14/1
    St. Louis Cardinals - 14/1

Vegas has TB with better or equal odds than Texas and St. Louis.

Facts mean nothing to a silly clown.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Any team making the playoffs can become champions. Thus, they are championship contenders. The playoffs are all about how teams match up. If you match up well with the teams you face, you can become champion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: The Tampa Bay Rays Are Not Going Away: Part VII : Any team making the playoffs can become champions. Thus, they are championship contenders. The playoffs are all about how teams match up. If you match up well with the teams you face, you can become champion.
    Posted by devildavid

Luck and timeliness helps as well.
    The Rays outscored the Rangers 21-16, but bunched nearly all their runs into just one game. 
    (They lost their 3 games 4-3, 4-3, and 8-6.)
    They clearly weren't significantly over-matched by the Rangers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There are some early indicators that the Rays bullpen might not be up to its recent standards this year. 

Sections
Shortcuts