The Telling Stat of September

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The Telling Stat of September

Everybody can toss out their pet complaints about the team and try to prop them up as the reason for the collapse -- poor April, no small ball, no V-Mart, no Beltre, no leadership, no sense of urgency (personally, I think that led to the errors in the field and some of the pressing at the plate), etc.

But look no further than than this:

In 29 games in August the Sox scored 143 runs. Offense showed some flaws.
    In 27 games in September, they scored 146 runs -- three more runs in two fewer games.

Now let's look at pitching.
    In August, the Sox gave up 122 runs.
    In September, they allowed 172 runs -- 50 more runs in two fewer games.

Here's what the staff allowed per month:

26 games, 113 runs.
    29 games, 125 runs.
    25 games, 95 runs.
    26 games, 119 runs.
    29 games, 122 runs.
    27 games, 172 runs.

Yes, poor fielding, baserunning and poor clutch hitting all contributed to the meltdown, but it starts with pitching. It's not a great leap to see how the horrible pitching had a dominoe affect on the other parts of the game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Re: The Telling Stat of September

It's all about the pitching, stupid! (not calling you stupid)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I agree it's all about pitching...I mean look what the Orioles staff did to us winning 5 out of 7 key games. But, as I say below, it wasn't all pitching !!!

In addition to Crawford's pathetic performance, I'm not ecstatic too with Agon, irrespective of his respectable batting average.  Other than Ellsbury, Pedroia & even Scutaro,  our expected big bats of Ortiz & Agon did not come through in the  clutch. I would guess that at least 1/2 the games we lost in Sept, we outhit the opponents.  Even in this last game we got 11 hits (+4) to their 7 and they had 2 errors too. I would guesstimate...don't have the time or desire to research...that at least 75% of our runs came from home runs.  Despite mediocre pitching, it was the lack of CLUTCH HITTING that really did us in !!!  Lester really did  not pitch a bad game last night. Unfortunately he and Beckett can only give up 3-4 runs because we can't get 5 runs. The Yankees can survive average pitching because they can get 5-6 runs !!!  

I recommend a playoff series between the Braves & Sox with the winner avoiding the stigma of being the bigger loser !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

That's what happens when you only have 3 legit starters in the rotation and one doesn't show up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

4 games alone were handed to Bard and Paps and ended up being losses...Bard on the year lost 9 games this year.

The starters were bad, obviously bad...but down the stretch when the offense did their best to give them a chance, if the starters didn't kill it the back end of the bullpen did.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

Our offense got most of those runs in sept 4 games. We scored 18 twice, 14 and 12 runs in four of the wins. The overall numbers are not indicative of how inconsistent the offense was. this was a total collapse, not just the pitching.

We scored 4 or fewer runs in 16 games I believe, which ia terrible.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: The Telling Stat of September:
    [QUOTE]I agree it's all about pitching...I mean look what the Orioles staff did to us winning 5 out of 7 key games. But, as I say below, it wasn't all pitching !!! In addition to Crawford's pathetic performance, I'm not ecstatic too with Agon, irrespective of his respectable batting average.  Other than Ellsbury, Pedroia & even Scutaro,  our expected big bats of Ortiz & Agon did not come through in the  clutch. I would guess that at least 1/2 the games we lost in Sept, we outhit the opponents.  Even in this last game we got 11 hits (+4) to their 7 and they had 2 errors too. I would guesstimate...don't have the time or desire to research...that at least 75% of our runs came from home runs.  Despite mediocre pitching, it was the lack of CLUTCH HITTING that really did us in !!!  Lester really did  not pitch a bad game last night. Unfortunately he and Beckett can only give up 3-4 runs because we can't get 5 runs. The Yankees can survive average pitching because they can get 5-6 runs !!!   I recommend a playoff series between the Braves & Sox with the winner avoiding the stigma of being the bigger loser !!!
    Posted by mandobello[/QUOTE]

I agree there were other factors. It takes other factors to have this kind of meltdown. But over the course of the first five months, the Sox had games where clutch hitting was lacking. That happens. It's baseball. That's why you can't micro-analyze.

The Sox could have put Wednesday's game away with better clutch hitting last night. On the other hand, if it weren't for the offense on Tuesday when the pitchers allowed seven runs, the Sox wouldn't have won.

There are moments where you can say -- had Ortiz had a clutch hit here, or A-Gon; or if the baserunning didn't screw up; or the fielding. Heck, had the umpire not screwed the call (Ortiz was involved but I forgot the details) Monday that cost the Sox a run, that game might have been different. 

But like I said, you can point to moments like that in the first five months. What was different in September was perhaps the worst month of pitching that I can remember -- and that is the overriding difference.

IMO, the horrible pitching demoralized the team. What was the stat I heard last night -- the Sox fell behind in all but something like five or six games this month and in most of the games it was in the first or second inning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

Oh, and that includes scoring a pathetic three runs against Simon and the rest of that vaunted Orioles staff in the last chance biggest game of the year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Our offense got most of those runs in sept 4 games. We scored 18 twice, 14 and 12 runs in four of the wins. The overall numbers are not indicative of how inconsistent the offense was. this was a total collapse, not just the pitching. We scored 4 or fewer runs in 16 games I believe, which ia terrible.
    Posted by Scott8340[/QUOTE]

I agree that the offense had its problems. But it starts with pitching. There were way too many games were the starters were falling behind by three to five runs by second inning. I think that played a big role in the hitting woes. The pitchers weren't giving the team a chance to win too often and I think the hitters started pressing  and the fielders were playing tight.

I look at it like this. If the team should win when the offense scores five or more runs, then the Sox should have been 11-16. If the Sox should lose when the pitching allows more than four runs (five or more), then their record should have been 7-20, which is exactly what it was.

So I look at it like this. The offensive woes is what lost the team the Division, but it was the pitching woes that lost the wild card.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

How many times this month did the Sox put up 5 runs or more and lose?  How many times did the pitching staff give up 6 runs or more?  How many times did the starters go less than 6 innings?

When the starting pitching is sooo bad, it's puts added pressure on the BP and on the offense.

When the offense feels like they have to score a lot of runs, they start taking risks like going home when they should stay at third.  Taking second when they should stay at first.  It all starts with pitching.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

why did 
               the Red Sox
                              winning percentage chart
                                                        look like this
                                                                      going into
                                                                                  September?
                                                                                                                     PITCHING!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, and that includes scoring a pathetic three runs against Simon and the rest of that vaunted Orioles staff in the last chance biggest game of the year.

Agree and I was thinking the same thing last night.  I didn't have a good feeling about winning the game unless we scored more runs, which didn't happen. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Because the guys that were doing their jobs were wore out from having to cover for the GUY that wasn't doing his job.

If people want to point the finger at someone, blame Lackey.  He was terrible for day one this season and apparently was a bad clubhouse presence.  He was consistently surly.  Oh, and did I mention he was the second highest paid player on the team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

Somebody asked how many games the Sox scored more than 5 runs and lost in September.

Not many. Go check. They only scored 5 runs about 9 times, and won 6 of those I think.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

They lost 4 times when they scored 5 runs and once when they scored 10. It's not like we were scoring a lot of runs each night.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Somebody asked how many games the Sox scored more than 5 runs and lost in September. Not many. Go check. They only scored 5 runs about 9 times, and won 6 of those I think.

I guess you didn't ready my post.

The Sox scored five or more runs 11 times but allowed five or more 20 times.

The offense, of course, has to take its share of the blame. But like I posted, the bad offense cost the team the Division but the bad pitching is what cost the Sox the playoffs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Because the guys that were doing their jobs were wore out from having to cover for the GUY that wasn't doing his job. If people want to point the finger at someone, blame Lackey.  He was terrible for day one this season and apparently was a bad clubhouse presence.  He was consistently surly.  Oh, and did I mention he was the second highest paid player on the team.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]That's fair enough if one must have a person and a name to blame to Lackey is about as good as they get.

I have never really seen anything however that says Lackey is a bad clubhouse presence. I certainly appeared that fans are more concerned that John is so emotional play-by-play during a game, hates not finishing what he started etc.

But when a team loses 59 pitching starts from its core 5 and one guy who is supposed to be horse end up being 28% of the starts from the core and has a 6 something ERA, fair.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Roy

You are spot on.  

7th inning plus OPS:   .783  by far best in MLB

OPS vs LHP:   .803   2nd to NYY

The lefties didn't kill us and the team raked even late in games.  The offense was not a problem.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Roy You are spot on.   7th inning plus OPS:   .783  by far best in MLB OPS vs LHP:   .803   2nd to NYY The lefties didn't kill us and the team raked even late in games.  The offense was not a problem.  
    Posted by tom-uk

To be sure, the offense was a bit more schitzo in September than it was all season (only 11 games with five or more rusn) and it would have been nice to see a couple of more clutch hits that would have bailed out the pitching -- or capitalized on the rare good outings.

But most of the complaints -- if not all -- that some are complaining about now the Sox had all season, yet the Sox overcame them for five months. So you look at what the big difference was and as my first post showed dramatically, it was the pitching meltdown.

Going back to the August-September comparison, the Sox allowed 4.2 runs per game in August and 6.3 runs per game in September.

That is more than two runs per game more. Whatever other issues the Sox might have had, I don't know how anyone can put any of those issues above the horrible pitching.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

Paps was throwing high fastballs, one after the other, last night.  Even a dimbulb team figures out that that is what they are going to get, so that is what they got and that is what they hit.  He was throwing, not pitching.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

In fact, team failed to score when pitching had a few decent or marginal start. Fact is that it was a team with construction flaws in a 160M dollar Epstein building plans, and pitching was good with Lackey and Lester's final start but the team failed to score enough to win or save the pen from a marathon in NY.

Pitching is a lousy excuse, becuase the budget was massive. Epstein needs to be fired.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I'm sorry Roy, bit it's not about pitching. It's about hitting. It's all about hitting.
    The RedSox are always rated near or on top in hitting every year and they usually make the PO's. They didn't this year because they didn't sore 1000 runs in Sept.
    Just no excuse for that!!!

Get real!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Could it be the staff is not training as hard as they should to peak at the end of the season.  Even Lester and Beckett were awful down the stretch.  I agree everything is on the pitching and defense to hold the other team down.  All the old Red Sox teams lost because of this and it happened again this year.  Hitting gets you nothing as this year proved again.   

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

The fact is that this team lacked chemistry and/or leadership. I saw 9 individuals trying to play a team sport, and rarely did I see guys picking each other up, or doing the things to help the team score runs and win games.

The Boston Red Sox under Francona, live and die by the 3-run homer and good pitching. Neither worked this year.