The throw

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The throw

How many times would Jake have to throw the ball to reach first like JBJ did???????

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: The throw

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How many times would Jake have to throw the ball to reach first like JBJ did???????

[/QUOTE]

yeah that was sick, and no real crow hop either from what i saw/recall

if we could somehow combine Boggy's bat w/ Bradley's Defense then we'd really have something. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Manny would have had to cut it off.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think we need a Dewey interview either on WEEI or in the NESN booth tonight.  Maybe w/ Don and Jerry live talking about throwing arms.  That would be pretty cool.  I know Donnie O has a man-crush on Evans.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think we need a Dewey interview either on WEEI or in the NESN booth tonight.  Maybe w/ Don and Jerry live talking about throwing arms.  That would be pretty cool.  I know Donnie O has a man-crush on Evans.

[/QUOTE]

Greatest arms I've ever seen in the OF include Clemente, Dave Parker, and Evans.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Greatest arms I've ever seen in the OF include Clemente, Dave Parker, and Evans.

[/QUOTE]

I heard about Mays and Clemente never saw them live but did see tape

Saw the Parker throws in the AS game (one at home and one that got Rice at 3rd)

Evans - just too many bullets (esp to home) to list

Mark Whitten had a gun and I recall liking Bruno's arm too

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can't believe I forgot this guy----BO JACKSON. He had a howitzer. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I know its hard to be patient with Jackie's offense, given how the team offense has struggled.  But, for me, I find myself able to accept Bradley's slow development at the plate because, even before I am a Sox fan, I am a lover of the game of baseball.  Within that love, a beautiful centerfield patrol is of the highest order of appreciation.  I have been over the moon watching Jackie play the field this season.  If his bat can just pick up a little - not asking for Willie Mays, or even Jacoby Ellsbury bat - just a little, I will be more than happy witha  future of Bradley in the 9 hole and playing legendary centerfield.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can't believe I forgot this guy----BO JACKSON. He had a howitzer. 

[/QUOTE]

what about Suzuki?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

You really don't want the Offensive stats between the two. OBP .282 Slugging % .292
    OBP .358 Slugging % .419
    He better have a good arm.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know its hard to be patient with Jackie's offense, given how the team offense has struggled.  But, for me, I find myself able to accept Bradley's slow development at the plate because, even before I am a Sox fan, I am a lover of the game of baseball.  Within that love, a beautiful centerfield patrol is of the highest order of appreciation.  I have been over the moon watching Jackie play the field this season.  If his bat can just pick up a little - not asking for Willie Mays, or even Jacoby Ellsbury bat - just a little, I will be more than happy witha  future of Bradley in the 9 hole and playing legendary centerfield.    [/QUOTE]

I'd take Gary Pettis right now but even that is a mere pipe dream.

Gary would hit ya 240 over 320 but he's also give ya 40-50 SB's and a great CF as well.  Usually was able to handle batting lead off although better suited for down in the order (8/9).  GP would be a very good goal for JBJ to at least look at as a comp.......less the SB's of course.....Makes you appreciate GP much more now doesn't it?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

I know its hard to be patient with Jackie's offense, given how the team offense has struggled.  But, for me, I find myself able to accept Bradley's slow development at the plate because, even before I am a Sox fan, I am a lover of the game of baseball.  Within that love, a beautiful centerfield patrol is of the highest order of appreciation.  I have been over the moon watching Jackie play the field this season.  If his bat can just pick up a little - not asking for Willie Mays, or even Jacoby Ellsbury bat - just a little, I will be more than happy witha  future of Bradley in the 9 hole and playing legendary centerfield.    [/QUOTE]

I agree. Allow JBJ to patrol CF for the rest of the season. In fact, Farrell, if he hasn't already, should tell JBJ that he's the everyday CF, no matter what. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

In the fifties the Sox used to, for a couple of years have an in season  exhibition game with the Giants. One of these times they had a throwing contest between Mays and Piersall, I guess for distance and accuracy. They both had great arms but that night Piersall hurt himself and never threw as well again.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

CF is about range, Corner Outfield is about arms.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Eh.  A cannon in center is key.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

I know its hard to be patient with Jackie's offense, given how the team offense has struggled.  But, for me, I find myself able to accept Bradley's slow development at the plate because, even before I am a Sox fan, I am a lover of the game of baseball.  Within that love, a beautiful centerfield patrol is of the highest order of appreciation.  I have been over the moon watching Jackie play the field this season.  If his bat can just pick up a little - not asking for Willie Mays, or even Jacoby Ellsbury bat - just a little, I will be more than happy witha  future of Bradley in the 9 hole and playing legendary centerfield.    

I agree. Allow JBJ to patrol CF for the rest of the season. In fact, Farrell, if he hasn't already, should tell JBJ that he's the everyday CF, no matter what. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you agreeing, Bogie. Obviously, CF comes naturally to JBJ, and think he may be pressing too much at the plate, to the point he's totally lost, knowing if he doesn't produce as well offensively, he may be sent back down. Honestly, if he wasn't, he probably would have been, by now. If he knows he's here to stay, he may relax, get back his confidence, swing and game

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yeah that was sick, and no real crow hop either from what i saw/recall

if we could somehow combine Boggy's bat w/ Bradley's Defense then we'd really have something. 

[/QUOTE]

You would have an MVP.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Actually, RF is mainly about arms. With JBJ, the SOX have a CF with both range and a good arm. Neither Damon nor Ells could ever be considered great CF's because of their weak arms. JBJ has all the tools to be the greatest defensive CF in SOX history, overtaking Fred Lynn, Dom DiMaggio, and Jimmy Piersall.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Btw, the greatest defensive CF I ever saw play was Paul Blair of the Orioles.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Nice Bogie.  The O's of the Weaver era are always lauded for the starting pitching and Weaver's love of relying on the long ball.  But, I loooved those teams for a very different reason - truly beautiful defense at the key positions:  Brooks at the hot corner, Blair in center, Frank Robinson in right, Belanger at short, shoot davey johnson and later Bobby Grich at 2nd.  Poetry in motion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Nice Bogie.  The O's of the Weaver era are always lauded for the starting pitching and Weaver's love of relying on the long ball.  But, I loooved those teams for a very different reason - truly beautiful defense at the key positions:  Brooks at the hot corner, Blair in center, Frank Robinson in right, Belanger at short, shoot davey johnson and later Bobby Grich at 2nd.  Poetry in motion.

[/QUOTE]

No question; the Orioles very rarely gave a team a 4 out inning.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In the fifties the Sox used to, for a couple of years have an in season  exhibition game with the Giants. One of these times they had a throwing contest between Mays and Piersall, I guess for distance and accuracy. They both had great arms but that night Piersall hurt himself and never threw as well again.

[/QUOTE]

wow. amazing story.  i'd pay to see that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

arm strength is much more important in CF than in LF

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Belanger was an awesome defensive SS, who couldn't hit a lick. He'd be hated by many of the current posters on this board. So, Space, Do you know what Belanger's nickname was?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yup most RF

johnny and johnny jrs arm were good enough to win

as were bernies and micky rivers