The value of David Ross

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

The value of David Ross

His reputation is that of a good handler of pitchers. He caught JL today. Could it be a huge plus that his game calling skills re-establish the confidence of some of our pitchers?  His signing could be a silent off season bonus.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: The value of David Ross

Ross is thought of as a very good defensive catcher. I have always wondered why he has never had more of a chance to play.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Ross is thought of as a very good defensive catcher. I have always wondered why he has never had more of a chance to play.

Because starting in youth select ball if you hit you play.

That said, his addition should help Salty stay fresh over the grind of a full season and serve to help mentor his as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I was hoping they signed this guy. He was the perfect pick for his leadership and mentoring for Salty and the other young catchers... Solid pickup.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

That said, his addition should help Salty stay fresh over the grind of a full season and serve to help mentor his as well.

Compare these career statistics of Jarrod Saltalamacchia and David Ross:

JS 1733 PA, 64 HR, .239/.302/.418/.720, OPS+ 89

DR 1970 PA, 84 HR, .238/.324/.444/.769, OPS+ 100

And the stats of the 27-year-old Saltalamacchia in his two-plus years in Boston and for the 36-year-old Ross in his recent four years in Atlanta:

JS 859 PA, 41 HR, .226/.290/.449/.739, OPS+ 95

DR 663 PA, 24 HR, .269/.353/.463/.816, OPS+ 119

The Red Sox could be well-served if the Sox could get 120 starts from David Ross, who probably represents the best offseason acquisition.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Compare these career statistics of Jarrod Saltalamacchia and David Ross:

JS 1733 PA, 64 HR, .239/.302/.418/.720, OPS+ 89

DR 1970 PA, 84 HR, .238/.324/.444/.769, OPS+ 100

And the stats of the 27-year-old Saltalamacchia in his two-plus years in Boston and for the 36-year-old Ross in his recent four years in Atlanta:

JS 859 PA, 41 HR, .226/.290/.449/.739, OPS+ 95

DR 663 PA, 24 HR, .269/.353/.463/.816, OPS+ 119

The Red Sox could be well-served if the Sox could get 120 starts from David Ross, who probably represents the best offseason acquisition.

All his numbers in Atlanta were accumlated in seasons with less than 196 PAs. Are you so sure he can repeat them with 500 PAs?

Also, his numbers slipped noticably the last 2 years:

2009  .888

2010  .871

2011  .761

2012  .770

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

David Ross his a great acquistion....and his power splits are pretty even though he a little better average hitter vs LHP....I think Salty however his getting better as a hitter especially vs RHP and his numbers vs righties will be significantly better than Ross's....that said, if Salty isnt hitting .260 or better vs RHPS, his power #'s alone wont be enough to stop Ross from getting more and more starts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Once you get the tag "backup catcher" , it's tough to convince a manager that you can play everyday.

You can't just look at batting averages, because the fatigue factor doesn't enter in to play when a guy plays only once or twice a week.

My feeling is that Ross has never hit well enough to be used everyday. Many "defensive" catchers get relegated to backup duty.

Doug Mirabelli was labeled a backup. He probably could have caught 120 games a season, no problem. But what kind of offensive numbers would he put up? In today's MLB they expect offensive from all positions. You don't hit, you usually become a bench player.

MLB in this day and age is all about offense.

Once Salty hit all those homers, he cemented his potential to be #1, managers, fans and the media love homeruns...even the strikeouts don't seem to diminish the fact that they know this guy can drive in runs. He may become the Dave Kingman or Rob Deer of catchers.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Chicks dig the long ball. :-)

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

I liked her better when she sung with the Supremes.

why are posters that have ships for avatars so lame?

Come on, that was actually funny. You've been reading too many of Idiot's posts I think.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm glad we signed Ross. He'll do much better than Lava would have done.

Sections
Shortcuts