The White Flag is Up!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: The White Flag is Up!

In response to softlaw2's comment:

If they take the best player they have from spring training and send him back to the minors because "he's not a LF'er" or "we need to be smart and wait at least 12 days", then management is approached the season, not to win games, but in an exhibition mode that involves saving pennies 7 years from now and virtually conceding that the early season games will not be approached like games for a team in a playoff race.

Manager John may have said something stupid like "we don't view him as a LF'er", but we do view Gomes as our starting LF'er, and Nava and/or Sweeney and/or Carp as or other OF'ers and we are going to start Bradley in the minors and we believe this gives us our best chance to win these early games and contend for a playoff spot.

Folks, if that happens, don't be distracted by the spin and excuses, make no mistake, the white flag is back again, flying over Fenway park. They ran that white flap up in the last half of 2012, and it appears as they will run it up to start the 2013 season.

Maybe you can go cheer for the Braves now in that case. They do, after all, have the guy you wanted to trade Xander for in the outfield. :-)

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I only wish the Red Sox had the management the Braves have.

I'm just curious, but is there anything about the Red Sox you actually like?

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My white flag went up the moment we signed Shane and Dempster.

You've been bashing Ben for building a horrible team, so why the surprise at the white flag?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

Yes, until they screw it up, I like Middlebrooks and the young talent coming up on the farm.

I like many aspects of the Red Sox long term past.

I am embarrassed by the last half a decade.

so that is why you dont rip Middlebrooks and post endlessly about him missing so many games last year because of a sore wrist

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

The White Flag has been up since last August.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

My white flag went up the moment we signed Shane and Dempster.

You've been bashing Ben for building a horrible team, so why the surprise at the white flag?

I'm not surprised, I am disgusted! Bradley has surprised me with his readiness this spring, as I thought it would be a year later. But this is the kind of spark that has the potential to change the attitude and trajectory of an entire team. The odds are still against them, but the odds get a lot better with Bradley. It's not just numbers, it's his attitude and his total skillset. He is energy on the field and optimism off the field.

It sends the wrong message to send hope to the minors, on the pretense that it won't matter for 12 days and it's critical for the Red Sox to "save" 2 or 3M a year over the next 7 years".

How the team starts doesn't mean how they will finish, but it's important to change attitudes and culture and build team confidence.

Nice post...very nice.  I totally agree.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They have already changed the attitude and culture of this team. JBJ isnt the difference maker in that area.

Whatever they decide, I will be cheering for them regardless.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It sends the wrong message to send hope to the minors, on the pretense that it won't matter for 12 days and it's critical for the Red Sox to "save" 2 or 3M a year over the next 7 years".

I agree with everything you said, except this. It is not just $2-3M, it could be much more and it could be another year of greatness. That could be priceless, because we can not trust Ben to extend a great player... right?

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I only wish the Red Sox had the management the Braves have.

Agreed. Atlanta a good organization.

Tampa and Oakland are also 2 very well managed teams.

Much more so than either the Sox or the Yankees.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cherry isn't going to be around when 7 years goes by. Not worrited about 2 or 3M extra on the Red Sox massive payroll, theoretically.

Why do you trust Larry to hire someone better than Ben?

Plus, the time to extend Bradley might be in 2-4 years, when Ben may still be here.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Cherry isn't going to be around when 7 years goes by. Not worrited about 2 or 3M extra on the Red Sox massive payroll, theoretically.

Why do you trust Larry to hire someone better than Ben?

Plus, the time to extend Bradley might be in 2-4 years, when Ben may still be here.

I predict that John Farrell will be in the FO in 7 years. He seems more that type to me than a dugout guy like Tito was.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts