The White Flag is Up!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: The White Flag is Up!

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Red Sox management has been using the Pelosi and Obama stimulis approach to recovery. It's not working, but the total amount spent is going up to record increase levels.

you have an unhealthy hatred for obama. is that because he's irish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADUQWKoVek

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SallyCarnie. Show SallyCarnie's posts

If they take the best player they have from spring training and send him back to the minors because "he's not a LF'er" or "we need to be smart and wait at least 12 days", then management has approached the season, not to win games, but in an exhibition mode that involves saving pennies 7 years from now and virtually conceding that the early season games will not be approached like games for a team in a playoff race.

Manager John may have said something stupid like "we don't view him as a LF'er", but we do view Gomes as our starting LF'er, and Nava and/or Sweeney and/or Carp as or other OF'ers and we are going to start Bradley in the minors and we believe this gives us our best chance to win these early games and contend for a playoff spot.

Folks, if that happens, don't be distracted by the spin and excuses, make no mistake, the white flag is back again, flying over Fenway park. They ran that white flap up in the last half of 2012, and it appears as they will run it up to start the 2013 season.

To heck with upper management; fans want JB playing LF in 2013.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Of course we want to see the kids, and not just Bradley.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It sends the wrong message to send hope to the minors, on the pretense that it won't matter for 12 days and it's critical for the Red Sox to "save" 2 or 3M a year over the next 7 years".

I agree with everything you said, except this. It is not just $2-3M, it could be much more and it could be another year of greatness. That could be priceless, because we can not trust Ben to extend a great player... right?

Good point!

Moon, I find myself agreeing with you more and more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

A big "Thank you" to the Keenest, Koolest, Kollaborator of moralism of this post.  We luvs ya!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

Farrell just commented on TV that he will wait until the last day to decide upon Bradley and the last relief pitcher to chose. Of course, the FO will have the most to say when millions of dollars are involved.

I doubt that Farrell will call the shot on this one.  Probably Ben will make the decision. Maybe even John Henry. After all , it is his money.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Thank you Daniel Nava for your hustle!

I think it just solidified a spot for him on the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Nava is having an excellent spring.  This guy keeps fooling people.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Farrell just commented on TV that he will wait until the last day to decide upon Bradley and the last relief pitcher to chose. Of course, the FO will have the most to say when millions of dollars are involved.

CatRodCam.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

You have NESN on your Sports package out there? DirecTV?

Yes....it may send me to the poorhouse, but I have it...LOL.  Yes, DirecTV...some superdooper package.

If we're not seeing the Sox in person somewhere, about 99% of the games are televised.  The only problem exists if the game is nationally televised and it's an east coast feed.  Because of this, the west coast feed will televise the Giants or someone..unless the Sox are playing the Yankees, then the east coast feed will show up here on the west coast.

By the way, I like Triumph as the dog, but not necessarily the poster.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

You have NESN on your Sports package out there? DirecTV?

Same problem here. I have the DirecTV Extra Innings package ( $200 per season)  plus the Sports package ( $12 per month). However, I get nearly every game and pregame and postgame plus all Spring Training games and other NESN shows about the Sox.  Like you, the only problem is on some Saturdays when FOX has national rights ( 1pm -7 pm)  and will often prevent me from watching the Sox game.

Yes....it may send me to the poorhouse, but I have it...LOL.  Yes, DirecTV...some superdooper package.

If we're not seeing the Sox in person somewhere, about 99% of the games are televised.  The only problem exists if the game is nationally televised and it's an east coast feed.  Because of this, the west coast feed will televise the Giants or someone..unless the Sox are playing the Yankees, then the east coast feed will show up here on the west coast.

By the way, I like Triumph as the dog, but not necessarily the poster.

I have Cablevision. I get the Extra Innings for 189 a year. Their sports package is another 7 a month , but does not provide NESN programming. You get things like the golf channel and ESPNU and ESPN  Classic , but not NESN.  As soon as the Sox game is over , they say " Good Night ." If it is a walk-off win or a no hitter they will stay for the player interview , but otherwise not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I've been saying all along that LF offense is not an issue on this team. Gomes kills lefties and Nava gets on base vs RHP. Together, they could make LF our top offensive position.

All the more reason to trade Ellsbury before day one, and just put Bradley where and when he belongs: CF full time (minus the 11 -12 days he needs in AAA at some point this season).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

My white flag went up the moment we signed Shane and Dempster.

You've been bashing Ben for building a horrible team, so why the surprise at the white flag?

I'm not surprised, I am disgusted! Bradley has surprised me with his readiness this spring, as I thought it would be a year later. But this is the kind of spark that has the potential to change the attitude and trajectory of an entire team. The odds are still against them, but the odds get a lot better with Bradley. It's not just numbers, it's his attitude and his total skillset. He is energy on the field and optimism off the field.

It sends the wrong message to send hope to the minors, on the pretense that it won't matter for 12 days and it's critical for the Red Sox to "save" 2 or 3M a year over the next 7 years".

How the team starts doesn't mean how they will finish, but it's important to change attitudes and culture and build team confidence.

Now I know the meaning of that song, "You Better Check Yourself, Before You Wreck Yourself."

I have stunningly agreed with most of what the Stiff One has said.

I'm going to go lie down, as I'm not feeling very well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Just his first 2 posts.  I'll get back to you on the others, as my wife is rushing me to the emergency room.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

You've been bashing Ben for building a horrible team, so why the surprise at the white flag?

I'm not surprised, I am disgusted! Bradley has surprised me with his readiness this spring, as I thought it would be a year later. But this is the kind of spark that has the potential to change the attitude and trajectory of an entire team. The odds are still against them, but the odds get a lot better with Bradley. It's not just numbers, it's his attitude and his total skillset. He is energy on the field and optimism off the field.

How the team starts doesn't mean how they will finish, but it's important to change attitudes and culture and build team confidence.

Now I know the meaning of that song, "You Better Check Yourself, Before You Wreck Yourself."

I have stunningly agreed with most of what the Stiff One has said.

When both ends of the spectrum agree, it's time for the pink glasses wearing fans to take 'em off and see the reality, even if it hurts.

I guess we can hope that Bradley just forces his way into the line-up, Iggy amazes with his defense, and we come out of the gates winning and winning to the point where they can't "go back" when Drew and Papi return.

Even then, I doubt many will see the mistake made in signing Victorino, Dempster and Drew (at least 2 of the 3 anyway).

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I've been saying all along that LF offense is not an issue on this team. Gomes kills lefties and Nava gets on base vs RHP. Together, they could make LF our top offensive position.

All the more reason to trade Ellsbury before day one, and just put Bradley where and when he belongs: CF full time (minus the 11 -12 days he needs in AAA at some point this season).

Assuming that Bradley is the real deal. I hope that Bradley is another Fred Lynn. That would be great. If he is then our problem for those who want the FO to be perfect will be that Ellsbury wasn't traded for something valuable at the perfect time.  Sort of like playing the stock market and selling your stocks at their highs.  Yes, GMs have a tough time being perfect.

It's the fear of not having sold Ellsbury at his real highpoint that probably kept Ben from pulling the trigger this winter.

Forget the past mistakes, and just look at the reality now:

Ellsbury and JBJ logjammed in CF and a draft pick in 2014 after Jacoby bolts.

or

JBJ as the FT CF'er (minus 1-12 days in AAA) and a nice prospect under team control way beyond 2015.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

I have stunningly agreed with most of what the Stiff One has said

When both ends of the spectrum agree, it's time for the pink glasses wearing fans to take 'em off and see the reality, even if it hurts.

I guess we can hope that Bradley just forces his way into the line-up, Iggy amazes with his defense, and we come out of the gates winning and winning to the point where they can't "go back" when Drew and Papi return.

Even then, I doubt many will see the mistake made in signing Victorino, Dempster and Drew (at least 2 of the 3 anyway).

I would not have signed any of the three either.  I also would not have given Papi more than a one year $12 mil. TOPS!  He was likely worth about 7 - 8 on the market???

Still.....

That does not change the calculus on JBJ!  The kid should stay and play.  You have to admit, with JBJ in the OF, it makes the 3SUM (you can't say thrreasum on BDC???) look pretty good :)  I'm not big on Gomes, but I'd be happy with him as the DH for a while, at least until Papi comes back for a few games in ......  June????

I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with the Stiff One!  Even a broken clock....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Mama!  Is that you?  I can't see...  Who turned the lights out???  Why is it so hot in here??/

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts