THE WIT AND WISDOM OF HARNESS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Middlebrooks. Show Middlebrooks's posts

THE WIT AND WISDOM OF HARNESS

Long time forum members recall with fondness(mostly) the wit and wisdom of a poster named HARNESS.
     We need some of his perspective around here right now. In the past when things were not looking so good, he was sure to rally the troops with a dose of reality and optimism. Four games back of a wild card? NO PROBLEM. Where's your faith? Are you YELLOW???
     No, he wouldn't stand for all this ship jumping, he'd probably throw down a wager, just to see if all the negative nabobs would put their stupid money where their stupid mouth is.
     When Otiz gets back, we finally have the real line-up in place, we've got a ton of games left in the division, 23, and another nine against fellow wild card contenders. Our fate is in our own hands. The FO believed in the team as constructed, get back on board!
     Even though he can't be here with us, his belief in better days can. I think he always prefered the long-shot over the scratch anyways, much more interesting and fun.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: THE WIT AND WISDOM OF HARNESS

In Response to THE WIT AND WISDOM OF HARNESS:
    [QUOTE] Long time forum members recall with fondness(mostly) the wit and wisdom of a poster named HARNESS.  We need some of his perspective around here right now. In the past when things were not looking so good, he was sure to rally the troops with a dose of reality and optimism. Four games back of a wild card? NO PROBLEM. Where's your faith? Are you YELLOW???  No, he wouldn't stand for all this ship jumping, he'd probably throw down a wager, just to see if all the negative nabobs would put their stupid money where their stupid mouth is.  When Otiz gets back, we finally have the real line-up in place, we've got a ton of games left in the division, 23, and another nine against fellow wild card contenders. Our fate is in our own hands. The FO believed in the team as constructed, get back on board!  Even though he can't be here with us, his belief in better days can. I think he always prefered the long-shot over the scratch anyways, much more interesting and fun.
    Posted by Middlebrooks[/QUOTE]

Sorry to be a negative-ka-bob but unless the pitching changes and Beckett returns to a 2007 facsimile and Lester gets his game back then 9 David Ortiz's won't change a thing.

Although Gonzalez is showing some signs of life, Crawford (Who'd of thunk it) is the team's best hitter right now...where's Pedroia been all year?? He's batting in the .260's and with Adrians slow start and Ellsbury's injury the core of the team was non-existent...and although they are back the team continues to flounder.

It's really hard to have faith and be optimistic losing 3 out of 4 at HOME against the mighty Twins!

With all this said, I'll continue watching and hoping for better things...starting with a 3 game series against the offensive juggernaut from Texas.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Middlebrooks. Show Middlebrooks's posts

In Response to Re: THE WIT AND WISDOM OF HARNESS:
    [QUOTE]In Response to THE WIT AND WISDOM OF HARNESS : Sorry to be a negative-ka-bob but unless the pitching changes and Beckett returns to a 2007 facsimile and Lester gets his game back then 9 David Ortiz's won't change a thing. Although Gonzalez is showing some signs of life, Crawford (Who'd of thunk it) is the team's best hitter right now...where's Pedroia been all year?? He's batting in the .260's and with Adrians slow start and Ellsbury's injury the core of the team was non-existent...and although they are back the team continues to flounder. It's really hard to have faith and be optimistic losing 3 out of 4 at HOME against the mighty Twins! With all this said, I'll continue watching and hoping for better things...starting with a 3 game series against the offensive juggernaut from Texas.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY! If it was easy, it wouldn't really be faith would it? I'm telling you, it's always darkest before the dawn. Although the pitching has not been spectactular, Buch has come around, Lester is looking better, Morales sharp, Doubront good...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Harness never let the way the team was doing interfer with his sense of humor, or his enjoyment of the game and the forum. Sure, it's better and more fun to win, but baseball is a sport, a form of entertainment. You win some and you lose some. Sometimes you prevail and sometimes you don't. I saw the sox win two world series after decades of watching them come close and fall short. It's all gravy now. We don't have to hear about that stupid curse anymore. We could be cubs fans and have to hear about their stupid billy goat curse.

I had a bottle rocket ready to shoot off in my backyard in 1986, when things went south. I just slipped it back in the bag and went to bed. The way that they came back from the wall in 2004, after the heartbreak of boone's home run in 2003, more than made up for the bad times.

If you can't take the bad times with grace and humor, you don't deserve the good times. Harness would be exchanging light hearted banter and promoting his CERA theory right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Harness never let the way the team was doing interfer with his sense of humor, or his enjoyment of the game and the forum. Sure, it's better and more fun to win, but baseball is a sport, a form of entertainment. You win some and you lose some. Sometimes you prevail and sometimes you don't. I saw the sox win two world series after decades of watching them come close and fall short. It's all gravy now. We don't have to hear about that stupid curse anymore. We could be cubs fans and have to hear about their stupid billy goat curse. I had a bottle rocket ready to shoot off in my backyard in 1986, when things went south. I just slipped it back in the bag and went to bed. The way that they came back from the wall in 2004, after the heartbreak of boone's home run in 2003, more than made up for the bad times. If you can't take the bad times with grace and humor, you don't deserve the good times. Harness would be exchanging light hearted banter and promoting his CERA theory right now.
    Posted by MikeNagy[/QUOTE]

Nice post, Mike. I hope somewhere, he is. It's not quite the same, without him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Middlebrooks. Show Middlebrooks's posts

[QUOTE]Harness never let the way the team was doing interfer with his sense of humor, or his enjoyment of the game and the forum. Sure, it's better and more fun to win, but baseball is a sport, a form of entertainment. You win some and you lose some. Sometimes you prevail and sometimes you don't. I saw the sox win two world series after decades of watching them come close and fall short. It's all gravy now. We don't have to hear about that stupid curse anymore. We could be cubs fans and have to hear about their stupid billy goat curse. I had a bottle rocket ready to shoot off in my backyard in 1986, when things went south. I just slipped it back in the bag and went to bed. The way that they came back from the wall in 2004, after the heartbreak of boone's home run in 2003, more than made up for the bad times. If you can't take the bad times with grace and humor, you don't deserve the good times. Harness would be exchanging light hearted banter and promoting his CERA theory right now.
     CERA and Salty...it's pretty clear isn't it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Promoting CERA? Naw, he'd be rammin' it down our throats. LOL

Yeah, I miss him too...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Everyone here is entitled to his/her opinion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: THE WIT AND WISDOM OF HARNESS : You just hijacked the thread by going off on a tangent. Why not let posters react to the OP specifically. It was about Harness and not your synopsis of the season. There are fifty other threads with 2000 posts with rampant negativity. Give it a rest.
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

I miss harness too. However, you should talk about changing the thread subject?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

A well deserved victory too (even Jeter said this); it could be argued it was a combination of the RS having a historical comeback and the NYY a historical choke. Heroes: Francona, Ortiz, Damon, Cabrera, Millar, Roberts, Foulke, Schilling, Nixon (for the catch off Matsui) Goats: Torre, ARod, Brown, Vazquez, & even Mo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: THE WIT AND WISDOM OF HARNESS : A well deserved victory too (even Jeter said this); it could be argued it was a combination of the RS having a historical comeback and the NYY a historical choke. Heroes: Francona, Ortiz, Damon, Cabrera, Millar, Roberts, Foulke, Schilling, Nixon (for the catch off Matsui) Goats: Torre, ARod, Brown, Vazquez, & even Mo.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Torre called Wakefield in the visitor's clubhouse after that terrible game 7 loss and congratulated him on the red sox victory. That is one of the classiest things I've ever heard of in sports.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: THE WIT AND WISDOM OF HARNESS : Torre called Wakefield in the visitor's clubhouse after that terrible game 7 loss and congratulated him on the red sox victory. That is one of the classest things I've ever heard of in sports.

When the RS finally won that yr, an interview with Torre resulted him in saying he was glad for Wakefield, who was touched by the gesture.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

is harness dead?  im serious, i know he was ill but i thought it wasnt serious

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Vatican has announced that Harness is being considered for sainthood.  One more miracle is needed. The Sox winning the World Series this year would do it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]is harness dead?  im serious, i know he was ill but i thought it wasnt serious
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Sorry, Geo, it does sound like a eulogy thread. I believe he left because his eyesight was failing.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

I still believe the Red Sox are dangerous...They have to play well against the Rangers, Indians and O's leading into the Yankee series on August 17 at the Stadium...They have a very strong team, especially if Beckett and Lester come around...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Harness is a great person, and he was a lot of fun to have here. I just can't believe a guy that typed so many long posts just can't be here anymore because of his eyesight. Modern technology should have a way to help him with that. It's really a shame.

He would have had a blast with how the pitching staff has turned out since Tek is not here anymore. I believe he was right about that all along, and always said so.

Btw, nice touch with the color-coded post!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm curious what harness thinks about Salty.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Middlebrooks. Show Middlebrooks's posts

[QUOTE]I'm curious what harness thinks about Salty.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Good God man! Were you not paying attention? Harness would be doing loop-de-loops trying to get this staff on a low sodium diet. With a miniscule OPS, and a giant CERA, no one could make a case stand up before Judge Harness advocating for Salty.

Sections
Shortcuts