The Yankee Opening Day Lineup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: The Yankee Opening Day Lineup

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

I did write that the Yankees were unwilling to give Russell Martin a long term contract.

They would have given Martin another year but not 2 or 3.

And yes because Sanchez will be up in 2014.

Martin took 2 years for 17 mil from Pittsburgh because he saw the handwriting on the wall.

If Martin had any inkling the Yankees saw him in their future he would not have signed with Pittsburgh.

But anyone with common sense should be able to figure that out.

I think they should have signed Martin. This yr, they have a mess at the position. I heard it wasn't the yrs, but a million or 2. And while Stewart is OK defensively, if they think he's as good as Martin, they're delusional. And let's not get started about the bat.

Regarding Montero, playing at Safeco doesn't help, but he doesn't appear to be the 2nd coming of Miguel Cabrera either.

The Seattle fans compare him to Edgar. Just as an example, take a look how long it took him to get going.

That Montero will not hit is a bunch of bs, give the kid some time.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martied01.shtml

He showed a nice flash in September 2011; when they traded him (for an apparent bust) I was furious; I thought he would be another Jimmie Foxx. I have now tempered my expectations some. Of course, we now have a sore armed, out of shape DUI guy for him; great.

They could have used him now. And I still think Safeco shall keep his #s down some; it's a brutal park.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

For all my friends who were upset in me quoting Damon Oppenheim saying that Heathcott could be up this season, Cashman yesterday on Slade Heathcott. I'm just the messenger:

http://www.yankeeanalysts.com/2013/03/cashman-heathcott-a-dark-horse-candidate-48023

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

As a baseball fan, I miss the late Steinbrenner.  Old-school, no-BS-type of guy, and did whatever he can to bring another championship.

The late Steinbrenner would have taught A-Rod a valuable lesson the hard way.    LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

As a baseball fan, I miss the late Steinbrenner.  Old-school, no-BS-type of guy, and did whatever he can to bring another championship.

The late Steinbrenner would have taught A-Rod a valuable lesson the hard way.    LOL

I miss how GS would call out players who needed a nudge in the right direction with a frank comment to the media.

Almost like he was one of the fans speaking from the bleechers.

Then he would back off and let his comments linger.

I think the team misses those comments too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

It upsets you that the Yankees have Sanchez, that he merely exists.

Not that I mention his name.

Sanchez had a .766 OPS in high A last year.  Half the Salem Red Sox batted better than that.  He's the best Yankee Sanchez prospect since Humberto.

The Yankees probably have some sleeper prospects, but as a Sox fan, I find it annoying that these obviously marginal talents keep getting all the hype.  I'd find it far more frustrating, though, if it were happening to the Sox.  Aren't you sick of getting excited for the next Chamberlain, Hughes, Montero, Betances, Jackson, Banuelos, Eric Duncan, Tabata, Romine, Kennedy, Brackman, etc, etc, etc only to see them become average to bench players, if they make the majors at all?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Sanchez had a .766 OPS in high A last year.  Half the Salem Red Sox batted better than that.  He's the best Yankee Sanchez prospect since Humberto.

The Yankees probably have some sleeper prospects, but as a Sox fan, I find it annoying that these obviously marginal talents keep getting all the hype.  I'd find it far more frustrating, though, if it were happening to the Sox.  Aren't you sick of getting excited for the next Chamberlain, Hughes, Montero, Betances, Jackson, Banuelos, Eric Duncan, Tabata, Romine, Kennedy, Brackman, etc, etc, etc only to see them become average to bench players, if they make the majors at all?

Ha ha. I read your comments hyping one of the Sox prospects you writing he was faster than smell. Thats a good one. and you don't hype.

Wondering do the Sox have a catcher in the farm system Sanchez age (20) with comparable numbers? Just curious

With you whenever a Yankee prospect is mentioned you have to offer a Sox prospect who you think is better. Btw every list I've looked at Blake Swihart is rated below Sanchez. What they do have in common is that both are just prospects. But scouts seem to give Sanchez a higher upside.

I could counter and mention all the recent flops the Sox have developed but what's the point?

All teams have them.Drafting and developing players is a roll of the dice.

And why the Yankees and Sox have to spend so heavily in the free agent market.

Why the Sox have Lackey the Yankees had Burnett, developing pitching takes time and patience mostly from the fans.

I see two Yankees on the roster brought up through their system sure thing hof first round, Mo Jeter. Cano maybe some day. How many teams in baseball can say the same?3 players on the current roster all home grown.

Cano and Pedroia are both good possibilities if they maintain and stay healthy.

The Yankee farm system in the 90s went to hell when it was run by George he traded away a lot of good home grown talent like Mike Lowell for instance.

He preferred the free agent market.

The Yankee farm system since being taken over by Cashman and Damon Oppenheim has come back in recent years and produced some decent talent.

If I'm not mistaken Hughes, Chamberlain and Robertson were all instrumental in the 2009 WS run.

Montero was traded for a rookie all-star pitcher Michael Pineda, I didn't like the trade but time will tell who made out.

Kennedy and Jackson were moved for Granderson a deal you have to make. Both are good young players

Tyler Clippard the closer for the Nats was moved for Jonathon Albaledejo, that was a bad trade for the Yankees, Zach McAllister for Austin Kearns another one I'd like to have back..

And of course Melky Cabrera who was a decent talent without the juice how good we could see this season. 

I just don't see all the doom and gloom here, let's not forget Chien Ming Wang who's career was cut short by a freak accident.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Ha ha. I read your comments hyping one of the Sox prospects you writing he was faster than smell. Thats a good one. and you don't hype.

Wondering do the Sox have a catcher in the farm system Sanchez age (20) with comparable numbers? Just curious

With you whenever a Yankee prospect is mentioned you have to offer a Sox prospect who you think is better. Btw every list I've looked at Blake Swihart is rated below Sanchez. What they do have in common is that both are just prospects. But scouts seem to give Sanchez a higher upside.

I could counter and mention all the recent flops the Sox have developed but what's the point?

Why the Sox have Lackey the Yankees had Burnett, developing pitching takes time and patience mostly from the fans.

I see two Yankees on the roster brought up through their system sure thing hof first round, Mo Jeter. Cano maybe some day. How many teams in baseball can say the same?3 players on the current roster all home grown.

The Yankee farm system in the 90s went to hell when it was run by George he traded away a lot of good home grown talent like Mike Lowell for instance.

The Yankee farm system since being taken over by Cashman and Damon Oppenheim has come back in recent years and produced some decent talent.

If I'm not mistaken Hughes, Chamberlain and Robertson were all instrumental in the 2009 WS run.

Montero was traded for a rookie all-star pitcher Michael Pineda, I didn't like the trade but time will tell who made out.

Kennedy and Jackson were moved for Granderson a deal you have to make. Both are good young players

Tyler Clippard the closer for the Nats was moved for Jonathon Albaledejo, that was a bad trade for the Yankees, Zach McAllister for Austin Kearns another one I'd like to have back..

And of course Melky Cabrera who was a decent talent without the juice how good we could see this season. 

I just don't see all the doom and gloom here, let's not forget Chien Ming Wang who's career was cut short by a freak accident.

No, the Sox don't have a 20-year-old catching prospect with Sanchez's numbers.  They do have a 22-year-old catching prospect with Sanchez's numbers, who is better defensively, and you've probably never heard of him - Christian Vazquez.  They also have a 20-year-old SS prospect with far better numbers, and a 25-year-old catching prospect whose offensive numbers dwarf Sanchez's.

You think I was cherry-picking Yankee flops?  I just went through the list of all top 100 Yankee prospects for the past 7 years - the best of the lot was Austin Jackson, and we'll see if he can repeat his performance.  Ian Kennedy had one good year, and is now a #4 starter on a .500 team.

You are mistaken - Chamberlain was a disaster as a starter in 2009, and Hughes pitched well during the season in 2009, but from out of the pen, and horribly in the post-season.  Hardly key pieces to the championship.

Robertson, Cabrera, McAllister & Clippard were all unheralded and Wang was an amateur free agent.  I'm not saying there haven't been good players to come out of the Yankee farm system - just that it's never the guys at the top of the list.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

No, the Sox don't have a 20-year-old catching prospect with Sanchez's numbers.  They do have a 22-year-old catching prospect with Sanchez's numbers, who is better defensively, and you've probably never heard of him - Christian Vazquez.  They also have a 20-year-old SS prospect with far better numbers, and a 25-year-old catching prospect whose offensive numbers dwarf Sanchez's.

You think I was cherry-picking Yankee flops?  I just went through the list of all top 100 Yankee prospects for the past 7 years - the best of the lot was Austin Jackson, and we'll see if he can repeat his performance.  Ian Kennedy had one good year, and is now a #4 starter on a .500 team.

You are mistaken - Chamberlain was a disaster as a starter in 2009, and Hughes pitched well during the season in 2009, but from out of the pen, and horribly in the post-season.  Hardly key pieces to the championship.

Robertson, Cabrera, McAllister & Clippard were all unheralded and Wang was an amateur free agent.  I'm not saying there haven't been good players to come out of the Yankee farm system - just that it's never the guys at the top of the list.

22 is not 20.

Catchers typically take awhile to develope except for freaks like Johnny Bench and Joe Mauer.

Sanchez for all we know could be playing in the Bronx at age 22.

To compare a 25 year old catcher with a 20 year old is a farce.

Not referring to the 25 year old in the Sox organization who hit .157 at the MLB level last season are you?

But beyond all of this I will continue to bring the names of Yankee prospects here because I believe it's relevant to this site.

Despite the protests from a few who simply don't like to see them.

I come here to learn about the Sox organization to learn about who they have in their system understanding there will be a certain degree of hype and some will fail.

As a Yankee fan I knew both Pedroia and Ellsbury were coming well before they did.

I don't know I guess you and I are different.

I enjoy reading the thread about Sox prospects although respectfully do not comment.

Keep your friends close your enemies closer. Increases my base of knowledge is the way i see it.

I know certain people here enjoy reading about what the Yankees have at the farm level knowing that some will fail others will contribute. And do not feel theatened by the conversation.

Back in 2004 there was a poster here who went by the handle of Hawk Harrelson who was an avid Red Sox fan. One of the most gifted articulate posters I have ever encountered.

He passed away his last known communication to anyone was a post to Zac.

We contacted his family after he did not post for a few days, we became suspicious, they found his body.

But anyway he and I had a debate that lasted days and weeks over which organization got the better of the deal between the Sox taking Craig Hanson and the Yankees who took another prospect who like Hanson never amounted to much.

The moral of the story is this discussion that you and I are having is probably a waste of time.

What it comes down to is some prospects make it some don't, some come from nowhere drafted in late rounds but actually it is impossible to know what drives any one man, impossible to measure one's heart.

Impossible to know which prospects will persevere, makes no difference what the scouts think.

A good example would be Melancon and Robertson coming up at the same time with the same tools and fanfare from AAA ball having one excel and one not.

I'm done have a nice day.