The Yankees have an unimpressive team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

The Yankees have an unimpressive team

Much of the talk has been around this sub-par Red Sox roster, especially the rotation and bullpen.

Yeah, the Yankees have a very good bullpen, but their starters definitely raise some eyebrows...

ERA's thus far...

Sabathia:  5.27
    Kuroda:  4.38
    Nova:  5.18 (overrated pitcher)
    Hughes:  7.88
    Garcia:  12.51

I'd like to assume that Sabathia will turn it around but at the end of the day, not a good start for him.  Kuroda has been their best pitcher thus far but it's hard to expect him to solidify the staff.  Hitters are catching on to Nova and he's just another overrated young Yankees pitcher.  Hughes' big league days are almost over as he's cemented his legacy as a bust.  He'll likely finish his professional career in the minors.  Garcia will likely be out of the league altogether by year's end.

Yeah they have Pettitte coming back but as of right now, it's hard to say that the Yankees have a better rotation than the Sox... especially with Doubront and Bard pitching very well at the back end.  A good rotation beats a good bullpen at the end of the day.

Thoughts? (please avoid using Pineda as an excuse)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bucky Dent. Show Bucky Dent's posts

Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team

Mark Melancon  49.50  (that would be the closer to start the year)
    Alfredo Aceves  12.00  (that would be your closer *NOW*)
    Clay Buchholz     8.87  (another one of your overrated aces)
    Vicente Padilla    8.31
    Justin Thomas    7.71

What you have is a small sample size.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Yankees rotation has looked shaky, no question.  But the real story so far is that the AL East might now be a five-team shootout.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team:
    [QUOTE]Nova: 5.18 (overrated pitcher) earn some respect SPC and finally admit 2011 sox were ________
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

_______ = disappointing and injury-plagued.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

test

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to The Yankees have an unimpressive team:
    [QUOTE]Much of the talk has been around this sub-par Red Sox roster, especially the rotation and bullpen. Yeah, the Yankees have a very good bullpen, but their starters definitely raise some eyebrows... ERA's thus far... Sabathia:  5.27 Kuroda:  4.38 Nova:  5.18 (overrated pitcher) Hughes:  7.88 Garcia:  12.51 I'd like to assume that Sabathia will turn it around but at the end of the day, not a good start for him.  Kuroda has been their best pitcher thus far but it's hard to expect him to solidify the staff.  Hitters are catching on to Nova and he's just another overrated young Yankees pitcher.  Hughes' big league days are almost over as he's cemented his legacy as a bust.  He'll likely finish his professional career in the minors.  Garcia will likely be out of the league altogether by year's end. Yeah they have Pettitte coming back but as of right now, it's hard to say that the Yankees have a better rotation than the Sox... especially with Doubront and Bard pitching very well at the back end.  A good rotation beats a good bullpen at the end of the day. Thoughts? (please avoid using Pineda as an excuse)
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]
    i
    In 30 MLB teams: Yankees 26th w/4.62 ERA. Sox 29th w/5.56. Numbers are the true barometer. Should be peeking in your own back yard. Garcia, I admit is truly a AA SP, Nova just keeps winning (more emphasis on wins than ERA), CC always a slow starter, Kuroda? (not in the NL anymore), can't figure out Hughes with that 'tired' shoulder, and no opinion on Pineda (irrelevant). Middle, set up and Mariano are definitely the strenght of their PS, but not leading in games negates their values. Doubront looks ML ready and Bard isn't consistent enough yet to evaluate is true contribution as of yet, though he has a strong upside. Buch looks lost, but Beck and Lest are showing that they are more than capable to win 30+ as a tandem. It's early, and barring any unexpected injury or pleasant surprise, this whole division could be up for grabs (wild card) with the Rays winning it with mediocre hitting, but outstanding mound production. My two cents. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well, their rotation is really shaky no doubt about that.

Their bull pen is superior to ours; although that could change by year's end.

Their line-up is equal to ours and until we get Ellsbury back it's actually slightly better.

If Sabathia could get back to form they only need 1 other pitcher to step it up - and I think between Nova, Kuroda, or Andy "The Rat" P.E.D.itte they will get their #2 guy.  Two studs plus Roberton and Rivera and they aren't going to lose a lot of series; especially with those bats which never seem to be out of any game.

So to say the yankees are unimpressive then what does that say about the Sox???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from noarodlover. Show noarodlover's posts

Nope - it will be a 2 team shootout: Jays won't be in it (Orioles will finish above them - Romero is no "ace"); Yankees will continue to age each day, and their pitching sucks; so folks it will be TB and the Sox.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]Nope - it will be a 2 team shootout: Jays won't be in it (Orioles will finish above them - Romero is no "ace"); Yankees will continue to age each day, and their pitching sucks; so folks it will be TB and the Sox.
    Posted by noarodlover[/QUOTE]
    Better read my previous post. Your 29th rating is even suckier than the Yanks. This age thing has been discussed on this forum for it seems ten years now, with their numbers remaining relatively static. They are as productive as the Sox. Can't argue that point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

2 Team Race - Rays and yankees and I'm still sticking with the Rays starting rotation

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

andrew, we can take the Yankees, that's for sure now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

A good rotation beats a good bullpen at the end of the day.

Are you saying the RS have a good rotation? As far as BPs are concerned, the Yankees in innings 7-9 have a 1.67 ERA, the RS 6.21; so for rotation to matter more you better have Koufax, Maddux, and Pedro.

Hitters are catching on to Nova and he's just another overrated young Yankees pitcher. 

Winning 15 Reg. Season games in a row and counting is nothing to sneeze at. Nova has shown, at even this young age, that he gets the hitters he has to get.

Also, while I agree Hughes looks like a bust, his legacy isn't a total flop; he was instrumental in the 2009 WSC via a terrific season, and ,despite a terrible 2nd half in 2010, managed to win 18 G and make the AST. Yankees should have kept him in the BP

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]andrew, we can take the Yankees, that's for sure now.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

based on what exactly?  our ability to beat up on weaker teams?  just a week ago the yankees b---- slapped us in our own backyars and now we can take them?  Put it this way - perhaps from here on out we can play 500 ball against them.  It's a lot better than being b---- slapped.......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We thought our starters were doing poorly, but the Yanks aren't doing to well either...

F. Garcia   12.51    Buch  8.87
    P. Hughes  7.88      Lest   4.65
    CC Sab       5.27     Beck  4.56
    I. Nova       5.18     Doub  4.09
    H. Kuroda  4.38     Bard   3.72

Starters:    5.95      4.49
    WHIP:       1.572    1.367

Relief
    ERA:         2.18     3.67
    WHIP:      1.227   1.200

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Right but the bull pen is the difference.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

andrew, the head-to-head stuff isn't the be-all and end-all.  Last year we were 12-6 against the Yankees.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]A good rotation beats a good bullpen at the end of the day. Are you saying the RS have a good rotation? As far as BPs are concerned, the Yankees in innings 7-9 have a 1.67 ERA, the RS 6.21; so for rotation to matter more you better have Koufax, Maddux, and Pedro.   Hitters are catching on to Nova and he's just another overrated young Yankees pitcher.  Winning 15 Reg. Season  games   in a row and counting is nothing to sneeze at. Nova has shown, at even this young age, that he gets the hitters he has to get. Also, while I agree Hughes looks like a bust, his legacy isn't a total flop; he was instrumental in the 2009 WSC via a terrific season, and ,despite a terrible 2nd half in 2010, managed to win 18 G and make the AST. Yankees should have kept him in the BP
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

A week ago they couldn't get the Yankees out of Boston quick enough now they're intoxicated with a couple of victories and Nova is overrated.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]We thought our starters were doing poorly, but the Yanks aren't doing to well either... F. Garcia   12.51    Buch  8.87 P. Hughes  7.88      Lest   4.65 CC Sab       5.27     Beck  4.56 I. Nova       5.18     Doub  4.09 H. Kuroda  4.38     Bard   3.72 Starters:    5.95      4.49 WHIP:       1.572    1.367 Relief ERA:         2.18     3.67 WHIP:      1.227   1.200
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon, I don't know where you got your #s from, but Baseball Reference has the following for the Red Sox

Starter               Relief

5.19                 6.33

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Weak pitching so far, Garcia shakey, Hughes was suppose to be a superstar, who materialized with one good year in 2009 especially in the playoffs. Kuroda is a National League pitcher in the American League who is not going to be lights out but will have glimpses. The key to this team is Nova, if he struggles they will be in trouble. he has looked good at times but has had a couple of shakey outings. I do not like the Yankees but it is still early.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Great offense, not so great pitching. Yanks have historically been slow starters and strong finishers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Yankees have made the postseason 16 out of the last 17 seasons.  That is a tremendous accomplishment, payroll or not.  They're like a corporation that just keeps cranking out profits year after year.  But this may be a down year for them. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I just think that the Yankees messed up the rotation during the off season.  Traded away Burnett, resigned Garcia and added a new pitcher who is now out of the season.  Then they have Phil Hughes who is never going to be the rising pitching star for the Yankees.  That is four pitchers that they messed it all up.  Maybe they should just keep Burnett, and trade away Hughes instead.  Something like that.

That was why I kept saying, dont trade Beckett yet due he is making too much money.  Leave him alone cuz he is still able to pitch well for most games this season as well in the past many years.   He is far better pitcher than Garcia, Burnett, Hughes, Kuroda, etc.  And also was glad to see Wakefield to retired cuz Boston is starting to have young pitchers that can do better job than Wakefield in the past two years such as Bard and Doubront.  Doubront was on a trade rumor in the past, and I was happy not to see him to be traded cuz it is too early to give up on him.

Really Boston do not make a blockbuster trade since there are not much talent pitchers out there except maybe Felix.  But Boston is going to give up awful alot of young talents for him.  That is a huge mistake for the Boston organization.  

Like I said it before, just leave the team alone and Boston have alot of flexibility to make the team a stronger team within two years from now.  I like these kids on the roster now while I like these kids staying on the DL cuz Boston are now a better team than they were last year.  Bad news that Boston can not get rid of these DL players such as Lackey, Crawford, Dice K, etc.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]andrew, the head-to-head stuff isn't the be-all and end-all.  Last year we were 12-6 against the Yankees.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Right, but you said, you said "we can take the yankees", right?

Either way, last year the ONLY team we could handle was the yankees. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well da "Ca$h"-man did mess up.

Looks like he should have kept Colon and let Garcia walk.

And looks like he should have held onto Montero a little longer.  At one point Montero could have returned someone of Cliff Lee's caliber.

Also, what if they kept Kennedy and dealt Chamberlain or Hughes instead?

How much better that rotation be right now?

Perhaps their rotation could look like:

Sabathia
    Nova
    Gio Gonzalez? (say via using Montero?)
    Kennedy
    Kuroda
    Colon (Swing Man?)