The Yankees have an unimpressive team

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team:
    In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team :  A fine commentary, Wilcy, well said. And congratulations on a fine 1927 season !!
    Posted by NHBALLFAN
      Thanks for the compliment fellow NH baseball fan and for noting the connnection between my honorary screen name for the first great closer in Yankee franchise history. 

Wilcy Moore was an extraordinary figure in baseball history.  He was a 30 year old rookie who set the franchise single season record for saves and tied for the major league lead with 13 in 1927.  It was the first time in history that any Yankee reliever had recorded more than 8 saves in a single season.  Four years later (1931), Moore led the Boston Red Sox in saves and the AL with 10.  He only pitched for those 2 teams.  He had a brief, but memorable career and was a "dirt farmer" by trade who had 2 mules whom he named Babe and Ruth in honor of a teammate. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Finally, this misguided thread is starting to make sense. The OP, whom for years has dissed Yankee teams (including a guarantee the Phils would beat them in the '09 Series) and overhyped his own, should ask himself this: "How many times in the last 2 decades or so did the RS have more Reg Seas wins than the Yankees?" Answer:3 (1995,2007,2008)

The truth hurts, SPC.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

I wouldn't bank on Pettitte riding in at age 40 and saving the day. There's a huge gamble there. Nova is overrated and his true form will be uncovered this season. I'm still not convinced Kuroda can pitch consistently well in the AL East. Sabathia is the only given. Hughes and Garcias' MLB days are numbered. After that... Not much depth.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988
      The Yankees do not need Pettitte to "save the day."  All he has to do is being an adequate 4th or 5th starter and consistently give the team a chance to win by eating up some innings and limiting damage.  Anything beyond that would have to be considered a bonus. 

As far as Kuroda he "should" initially benefit against all AL teams including those in the division based on lack of familiarity.  He did a very nice job against the potent Rangers' offense on the road recently.  No one can predict how he will ultimately fare given the dearth of objective data, but the same cannot be said of a Red Sox starter named Beckett.  He's been around long enough and has a sufficient resume to suggest that pitching against teams in the division has not exactly been his strong suit.  His career ERA against AL East teams is north of 4.5 which is hardly what you want out of a number 2.  Teams like the Jays and Yankees have (not always, but more often than not) feasted on his offerings.     

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team :   Thanks for compliment fellow NH baseball fan and for noting the connnection between my honorary screen name for the first great closer in Yankee franchise history.  Wilcy Moore was an extraordinary figure in baseball history.  He was a 30 year old rookie who set the franchise single season record for saves and tied for the major league lead with 13 in 1927.  It was the first time in history that any Yankee reliever had recorded more than 8 saves in a single season.  Four years later (1931), Moore led the Boston Red Sox in saves and the AL with 10.  He only pitched for those 2 teams.  He had a brief, but memorable career and was a "dirt farmer" by trade who had 2 mules whom he named Babe and Ruth in honor of a teammate. 
    Posted by WilcyMoore
     Correct ! A footnote: Wilcy Moore won a few hundred bucks off Ruth by hitting an unexpected home run and spent his winnings on those two mules, for his farm. He respectfully named them after the Bambino.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team :   Thanks for compliment fellow NH baseball fan and for noting the connnection between my honorary screen name for the first great closer in Yankee franchise history.  Wilcy Moore was an extraordinary figure in baseball history.  He was a 30 year old rookie who set the franchise single season record for saves and tied for the major league lead with 13 in 1927.  It was the first time in history that any Yankee reliever had recorded more than 8 saves in a single season.  Four years later (1931), Moore led the Boston Red Sox in saves and the AL with 10.  He only pitched for those 2 teams.  He had a brief, but memorable career and was a "dirt farmer" by trade who had 2 mules whom he named Babe and Ruth in honor of a teammate. 
    Posted by WilcyMoore
     Where in N.H. do you live, Wilcy?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

As much as I hate the Yankees , to say that they have an unimpressive team is absurd. Wishful thinking taken to the extreme.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team :  Where in N.H. do you live, Wilcy?
    Posted by NHBALLFAN
      Over in Dover (Dovah as the locals say) and a small city in which we happen to have access to all of the Yankee baseball games on the radio.  The program director and an acquaintance of mine happens to be a life long Yankee fan who has carried the team's games on AM 1270 for years.  Don't think there are too many places in the so-called Red Sox Nation north of Boston where that is the case.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team :   Over in Dover (Dovah as the locals say) and a small city in which we happen to have access to all of the Yankee baseball games on the radio.  The program director and an acquaintance of mine happens to be a life long Yankee fan who has carried the team's games on AM 1270 for years.  Don't think there are too many places in the so-called Red Sox Nation north of Boston where that is the case.
    Posted by WilcyMoore
     Oh, yes, Dovah...I frequented Buck's Tavern many years ago, down they-uh. We tune in to 880 (ABC) am up here in Leb.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team :  Oh, yes, Dovah...I frequented Buck's Tavern many years ago, down they-uh. We tune in to 880 (ABC) am up here in Leb.
    Posted by NHBALLFAN
      Buck's Tavern must go back quite a ways.  We have lived here for just over 20 years and I never heard of it.  You seem to appreciate baseball history and likely know that Wilcy Moore went 19 and 7 with the 1927 Yankees, had an ERA of 2.28, appeared in 50 games with 213 innings pitched.  In addition to his record setting 13 saves, he started 12 games and had 6 complete games.  He won his only WS start going 10.2 innings and giving up one earned run.  Pretty good return on investment for a guy who made $3000 that year which included a $500 bonus.  The Red Sox acquired him via the Rule 5 Draft in 1930.  He was the Ramiro Mendoza/Alfredo Aceves of his day and of course was vastly "underrated."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team :   Buck's Tavern must go back quite a ways.  We have lived here for just over 20 years and I never heard of it.  You seem to appreciate baseball history and likely know that Wilcy Moore went 19 and 7 with the 1927 Yankees, had an ERA of 2.28, appeared in 50 games with 213 innings pitched.  In addition to his record setting 13 saves, he started 12 games and had 6 complete games.  He won his only WS start going 10.2 innings and giving up one earned run.  Pretty good return on investment for a guy who made $3000 that year which included a $500 bonus.  The Red Sox acquired him via the Rule 5 Draft in 1930.  He was the Ramiro Mendoza/Alfredo Aceves of his day and of course was vastly "underrated."
    Posted by WilcyMoore
     I was in Buck's a few times in 1979. I heard it has since closed. And, yes, I am a baseball nut.

Sections
Shortcuts