The Yankees have an unimpressive team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : Moon, I don't know where you got your #s from, but Baseball Reference has the following for the Red Sox                   Starter               Relief                    5.19                 6.33  
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Oooops! I stand corrected. I think I had 2011 numbers. Sorry.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Nope - it will be a 2 team shootout: Jays won't be in it (Orioles will finish above them - Romero is no "ace"); Yankees will continue to age each day, and their pitching sucks; so folks it will be TB and the Sox.
    Posted by noarodlover[/QUOTE]

I predicted the Sox would win the division and Tampa not be as good this season but for some reason whether it be pitching, Maddon or luck the Rays seem to find guys who only play well for their club.  Last season it was Kotch "who we all knew was a fluke" and now Pena again who has basically been a bust everywhere else.  Regardless you have to give them credit for whatever the winning ingrediant is.

The Yankees and Sox have the offense to come in first and second this season but the Rays seem to find that solid pitching and help from unusual sources that keep them in the race.

Should be interesting!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Thoughts? (please avoid using Pineda as an excuse)

______ = disappointing and injury-plagued.

-----------------------

Found in back to back posts; for a change, SPC, you talk out of both corners of your mouth.

What;s good for the goose is good for the gander. ALL teams have injuries. You've used that excuse for at least the last 2 yrs (And in 2010, you had somewhat of a point). Also, often injuries (the non flukey ones) are the result of a cause and effect that says something about the organization & the player - see the NYM, and Pineda as well..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I just think that the Yankees messed up the rotation during the off season.  Traded away Burnett, resigned Garcia and added a new pitcher who is now out of the season.  Then they have Phil Hughes who is never going to be the rising pitching star for the Yankees.  That is four pitchers that they messed it all up.  Maybe they should just keep Burnett, and trade away Hughes instead.  Something like that. That was why I kept saying, dont trade Beckett yet due he is making too much money.  Leave him alone cuz he is still able to pitch well for most games this season as well in the past many years.   He is far better pitcher than Garcia, Burnett, Hughes, Kuroda, etc.  And also was glad to see Wakefield to retired cuz Boston is starting to have young pitchers that can do better job than Wakefield in the past two years such as Bard and Doubront.  Doubront was on a trade rumor in the past, and I was happy not to see him to be traded cuz it is too early to give up on him. Really Boston do not make a blockbuster trade since there are not much talent pitchers out there except maybe Felix.  But Boston is going to give up awful alot of young talents for him.  That is a huge mistake for the Boston organization.   Like I said it before, just leave the team alone and Boston have alot of flexibility to make the team a stronger team within two years from now.  I like these kids on the roster now while I like these kids staying on the DL cuz Boston are now a better team than they were last year.  Bad news that Boston can not get rid of these DL players such as Lackey, Crawford, Dice K, etc.  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Really? They were the favorites to win the whole thing last yr; even the Yankees considered themselves underdogs then. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

The Yankees have demoted Garcia to the pen and released Eppley, called up DJ Mitchell.

Phelps will probably get Garcia's next start, Mitchell will take over for Phelps in the pen.

Phelps, Mitchell and Warren (at SWB) are decent and have potential.

Phelps  hasn't looked bad so far this spring. Mitchell pitched well in camp and for AAA SWB (WHIP 0.870).

Probably will be competition between Hughes and Phelps for the 5th spot in the rotation after Andy returns.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

There's nothing like having pitching depth.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]There's nothing like having pitching depth.

Phelps has not pitched bad in long relief he deserves a shot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to The Yankees have an unimpressive team:
    [QUOTE]Much of the talk has been around this sub-par Red Sox roster, especially the rotation and bullpen. Yeah, the Yankees have a very good bullpen, but their starters definitely raise some eyebrows... ERA's thus far... Sabathia:  5.27 Kuroda:  4.38 Nova:  5.18 (overrated pitcher) Hughes:  7.88 Garcia:  12.51 I'd like to assume that Sabathia will turn it around but at the end of the day, not a good start for him.  Kuroda has been their best pitcher thus far but it's hard to expect him to solidify the staff.  Hitters are catching on to Nova and he's just another overrated young Yankees pitcher.  Hughes' big league days are almost over as he's cemented his legacy as a bust.  He'll likely finish his professional career in the minors.  Garcia will likely be out of the league altogether by year's end. Yeah they have Pettitte coming back but as of right now, it's hard to say that the Yankees have a better rotation than the Sox... especially with Doubront and Bard pitching very well at the back end.  A good rotation beats a good bullpen at the end of the day. Thoughts? (please avoid using Pineda as an excuse)
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

The only difference between the Yankees and Sox this season is age and possibly OF depth which I feel we may have the upper hand on.  It still comes down to pitching and health in most cases so anything can happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The Yankees have an unimpressive team : The only difference between the Yankees and Sox this season is age and possibly OF depth which I feel we may have the upper hand on.  It still comes down to pitching and health in most cases so anything can happen.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I think the big difference between the pens was the story in Fenway last weekend.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The Yankees have an unimpressive team : The only difference between the Yankees and Sox this season is age and possibly OF depth which I feel we may have the upper hand on.  It still comes down to pitching and health in most cases so anything can happen.

I guess you forgot the bullpens

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]We thought our starters were doing poorly, but the Yanks aren't doing to well either... F. Garcia   12.51    Buch  8.87 P. Hughes  7.88      Lest   4.65 CC Sab       5.27     Beck  4.56 I. Nova       5.18     Doub  4.09 H. Kuroda  4.38     Bard   3.72 Starters:    5.95      4.49 WHIP:       1.572    1.367 Relief ERA:         2.18     3.67 WHIP:      1.227   1.200
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Goofy thread to begin with.  We always have someone claiming the Yanquis are about to fall apart and yet out to do ...they always are in it.

Good comp's Moon.

But this is only the start of the season, guys.  A lot more shaling

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]Well da "Ca$h"-man did mess up. Looks like he should have kept Colon and let Garcia walk. And looks like he should have held onto Montero a little longer.  At one point Montero could have returned someone of Cliff Lee's caliber. Also, what if they kept Kennedy and dealt Chamberlain or Hughes instead? How much better that rotation be right now? Perhaps their rotation could look like: Sabathia Nova Gio Gonzalez? (say via using Montero?) Kennedy Kuroda Colon (Swing Man?)
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I agree that they should have kept Colon and not re-signed Garcia. As far as Ian Kennedy, he seems better suited for the NL than the AL East.  Cashman has messed up no doubt. Perhaps he will end up leaving like Epstein.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : I agree that they should have kept Colon and not re-signed Garcia. As far as Ian Kennedy, he seems better suited for the NL than the AL East.  Cashman has messed up no doubt. Perhaps he will end up leaving like Epstein.
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

A lot of hope is being pinned on Andy "The Rat" P.E.D.itte who still needs to go down to DC to testify against his BFF.......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : I guess you forgot the bullpens

I did say it still comes down to pitching and health.  I feel we will have a decent pen once we realize Bard isn't a starter and guys like Cook and Hill are given innings.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : I did say it still comes down to pitching and health.  I feel we will have a decent pen once we realize Bard isn't a starter and guys like Cook and Hill are given innings.

Possible, but a reach

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : Possible, but a reach

I agree, but I have more hope than I did with previous seasons when necessary changes were sat on much too long, or simply not addressed properly because of Theo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : I agree, but I have more hope than I did with previous seasons when necessary changes were sat on much too long, or simply not addressed properly because of Theo.

Perhaps Theo was trying, and there was nothing there. He is, IMO, one of the best GMs out there, and yes, he made mistakes with CC, Lackey, etc.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : Perhaps Theo was trying, and there was nothing there. He is, IMO, one of the best GMs out there, and yes, he made mistakes with CC, Lackey, etc.

All I'm trying to say nhsteven and have wanted for years was for someone to recognize and address our age and lack of talent in certain areas.  We won two WC's during Theo's time as GM but his success was short before his major weaknesses began to show.  The Yankees in my opinion have stayed close each year because they find the right person at the right time to keep them in the race.  They also have a lot of talent but this is one thing they have done better than we have that can make a huge difference.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]Weak pitching so far, Garcia shakey, Hughes was suppose to be a superstar, who materialized with one good year in 2009 especially in the playoffs. Kuroda is a National League pitcher in the American League who is not going to be lights out but will have glimpses. The key to this team is Nova, if he struggles they will be in trouble. he has looked good at times but has had a couple of shakey outings. I do not like the Yankees but it is still early.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]
    Still early to hate the Yankees?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Could you be specific on the OF depth? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : Could you be specific on the OF depth? 
    Posted by GEAUX-TIGRES[/QUOTE]

Our starting CF and LF are injured and we still have three decent OF's in Byrd, Ross and Sweeney who are all contributing to our offense.  What if Yanks lost Gardner and Granderson?  Who replaces them and what kind of production would you likely get from Ibanez or Jones?

Thats all I meant and its great we don't need to use DMac who is probably as useful as Jones these days.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : Our starting CF and LF are injured and we still have three decent OF's in Byrd, Ross and Sweeney who are all contributing to our offense.  What if Yanks lost Gardner and Granderson?  Who replaces them and what kind of production would you likely get from Ibanez or Jones? Thats all I meant and its great we don't need to use DMac who is probably as useful as Jones these days.
    Gotcha!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Phelps to start Thursday

This was pretty much a foregone conclusion after the announcement that Freddy Garcia is going to be removed from the Yankees’ starting rotation, but Joe Girardi confirmed in his postgame press conference that it will be David Phelps taking Hughes’ place. Phelps will make his first major league start Thursday night in Kansas City and, if he pitches well, it could very well spell trouble for Phil Hughes, as Andy Pettitte will be scheduled to make what could be his final start before joining the major league roster Saturday.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

It is very early yet.  Baltimore is 14-8 does anyone truly think they will keep up a winning pace of .650? If we have learned anything in the past decade or so the Yankees are nearly alwys in the hunt come September.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]It is very early yet.  Baltimore is 14-8 does anyone truly think they will keep up a winning pace of .650? If we have learned anything in the past decade or so the Yankees are nearly alwys in the hunt come September.
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

Yup, this year will be no different.  It's next year where they will be in trouble.

One year older.  No more Mo.  Even if PEDitte does come back in 2012 how long can that last?  Having to stay w/ in budget.  Some players due big raises next year...