The Yankees have an unimpressive team

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team:
    In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : Thank you for proving my point. Stating that overworked bullpens become less effective isn't wishful thinking, it's how baseball works. How many baseball seasons have you watched again?
    Posted by SpruceTrap

Flaterry shall get you nowhere. Even with the recent spate of bad starts, the Yankees BP is not overworked, but I grant you that shall change if the bad starts continue. The difference is in the experts opinions about their farm; if they're wrong, you have a point. Oh, and BTW, the Yankees SP IP per start, even with the Garcia fiascos, is not so bad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : A homer is as a homer says. If you don't want to be labelled one, then don't make comments such as an ERA a run lower isn't better. I doubt you were claiming Lester should have won the Cy Young award last year because Verlander's ERA wasn't "cearly better".
    Posted by SpruceTrap

Many RS posters respect my take; so I won't lose any sleep on your unusual opinion. BTW, look in the mirror.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : Good for Hughes, he was on a World Series team. So were Eric Gagne, Julio Lugo and Curtis Leskanic. You can claim bias when you stop being a homer.
    Posted by SpruceTrap

They didn't contribute like Hughes did, who had a microscopic 0.4 ERA as a setup man from May to the end of the Reg Season. The better posters here (moonslav, J-Bay, Hammah, harness, etc) don't think I'm a homer, so I could care less.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : I said that if the Yankees rotation continues to struggle the bullpen would get overworked and become less impressive. You disagreed with me and now you're saying that if the bad starts continue, the bullpen will get overworked. PLEASE take of the pinstriped glasses when you're reading my posts. You're 0-for-2 in reading comprehension. As far the "expert opinions" on the Yankees farm system, show me one of them that say that Banuelos, Betances and Warren are major league ready. There's a HUGE difference between being a good prospect and being ready for the big show.
    Posted by SpruceTrap

No, I''ve been consistent. I just added a qualifier that if you're right, you have a point. Outside of overlooking your comment about Kennedy, I believe you're the one with the comprehension issue.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

The Yankees rotation is as soft as pudding and the more their bullpen is overworked the less impressive it will be.
    Posted by SpruceTrap

Nova, Kuroda and CC all have pitched well against good offensive teams.

I said two weeks ago Freddy was cooked. It appears that Hughes is more of a situational pen guy, all that being said Phelps has pitched well against MLB batters since camp and has held the line as a long reliever.

DJ Mitchell has pitched well too. That the Yankees pen will be over worked is wishful thinking on your part.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : LOL, so far you've said that an ERA difference of 1.00 isn't clearly better and Betances, Banuelos and Warren are going to save the Yankees season because experts have them rated as good prospects. And who's the one with the unusual opinion again?
    Posted by SpruceTrap

Your 1.00 difference (it's actually a little less), considering your team is 25th in SP ERA, is a riot. Is it better? Yes. Hands down? Good gosh. And I believe my recent posts refute your other claims.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : A homer is as a homer says. If you don't want to be labelled one, then don't make comments such as an ERA a run lower isn't better. I doubt you were claiming Lester should have won the Cy Young award last year because Verlander's ERA wasn't "cearly better".
    Posted by SpruceTrap

A 24 win season and a 2.5 ERA vs a 3+ ERA as compared to 5 & 6. You're a strange one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

The bottom line with Ortiz is his performance supports his innocence.  His best years came after the drug policy took effect, and despite an increase in testing standards, he's having what right now would be the best season of his career. How many suspected PED users experienced the best years of the career after the drug policy took effect.  How many are effective today?  Jose Bautista is hitting .190 right now, by the way. Pettitte confessed twice - the first time he confessed he said he only did it once, in 2002.  The second time he confessed he said he did it one more time, in 2004.  Take a look at Pettitte's stats from 2002 - 2005 - he's got his two best ever k/9 rates, and a WHIP .15 below his career average. 
    Posted by slomag

How do we know any of these guys including Arod aren't still on the juice?

HGH is only detectable by taking blood samples.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : Good point, the 1.2 innings Hughes pitched in the World Series clearly made all the difference. Your cupeth overfloweth with homerisms.
    Posted by SpruceTrap

Speaking of homertism, his contribution was getting to the PS. Without him, they may not have. Did the RS get there that yr?  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Phelps, Warren and Mitchell are about a half-step down from Kyle Weiland.  Unless something is physically wrong with Garcia, he's a much better option than these three.  
    Posted by slomag

Thats why Weiland was traded for Melancon.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : Enough backtracking. Is or is not an ERA of roughly 1 run lower clearly better?
    Posted by SpruceTrap

Not when they both stink it isn't.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

This is one amazing thread that seems to have a life of its own.

The OP is garbage unless "unimpressive" is intended to characterize any team that has lost a game so far. 

The Yankees have a winning record and have had one for a whole lot of years, which is why the franchise makes money and also spends it on players.  They are also not perfect or, right now, anywhere near as good as the Rangers, who have both very good pitching and very good hitting. 

If the Yankees are unimpressive, what in the wide, wide world are the Sox with our 10-11 record?  Our pitching seems to be coming around, but is still 13th of 14 in the AL in terms of ERA.  Starters and bullpen are both suspect even though recent games (all four in Chicago) looked pretty good.  Left side of the infield is not the greatest.  Outfield has been terrific so far, but does not have a track record of good hitting.  Youk is struggling.  There's an entire thread on how lousy our catchers are defensively.  Ortiz is hitting great, but AGon not so great. 

Actually, our offense is pretty darn good to date, all things considered, but guess what?  The Yankees offense is just as good in runs scored and better in terms of team OPS.  And they have a lower team ERA than ours by a full run even though it ain't that great. 

Most of all, as I wrote earlier, I don't like stupid threads like this in April when we all know the Yankees have been very good finishers.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : If you can't admit that a ~1.00 run difference in ERA is signficant then I'm not sorry to call you a homer. I have no doubt that you'd be saying the opposite if it was the Red Sox rotation whose ERA was a run higher.
    Posted by SpruceTrap

Well, the Yankee BP is about 4 1/2+ runs better, but you haven't seen me bring THAT up; until now. Your SP comparison (and dissing of Hughes in '09) is bizarre cherry picking; I think we call a posturing spew of that nature a homer.

Thanks for playing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : So just to be clear, you're pinning your season's hopes on a guy who will be 40 years old most of the season and did not pitch last year and a guy with no major league experience as a starter, yet you think it's crazy to think a healthy Andrew Bailey will improve the Red Sox bullpen. Riiiiiiiiiiight.
    Posted by SpruceTrap

40 years old doesn't mean much when you consider we'll not referring to a power pitcher.

We're talking more of a finesse guy with a pretty solid record in big games not to mention a southpaw.

Baily is a good pitcher his problem has always been staying healthy.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: The Yankees have an unimpressive team : Sabathia's a great pitcher, there's no reason to think he won't turn it around. Nova and Kuroda both pitched well against two good offensive teams and pitched poorly against two poor offensive teams. What does it matter? In the end, the results are the results.
    Posted by SpruceTrap

I haven't seen Nova pitch what i would consider to be poorly did you see a game that I missed?

His last outing there were a few defensive gaffes that cost him him runs a diving catch by Ibanez which the ball got past him, and personally i thought he was squeezed by Joe West but all in all he kept the yankees close in a game that they cam back to win.

Sections
Shortcuts