The Yankees Might Not Choke After All....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

The Yankees Might Not Choke After All....

The Yankees are not done....A lot of people on this site had them for a certified choke, but that looks less likely at this point.   Their schedule is favorable compared to the O's and Rays, and they now carry a 5 game lead over the suddenly hapless Rays....Jeter has been an MVP throughout this season, and has had so many critical hits the past week it is not funny...Nunez is likely to play a big role at DH, and Gardner will be a very nice pinch runner...We will see if Pettitte can make a real contribution to the rotation, but that is very iffy...Phelps is still in the wings if Pettitte gets lit up in his starts..Texas is stillthe favorite in the Al, with the A's as a solid second seed.  But the Yanks might be fourth or fifth at this point...Do not count them out....And yes, I am a Yankee fan....With my apologies to anyone who thinks this post is far too trollish.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: The Yankees Might Not Choke After All....

The Yanks have a pretty amazing track record of not choking away any regular season leads. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

true, but who would have thought the A's would have a better record this late in the season?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Yanks have a pretty amazing track record of not choking away any regular season leads. 

[/QUOTE]

Astute comment, hfxsoxnut...You always adhere to a strong standard of objectivity on this site, and you do not bash people for their team allegiances....Nice job...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

true, but who would have thought the A's would have a better record this late in the season?

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely...Good point moon...And they ARE a better team than the Yanks, and less flawed...What a lot of people do not realize about  the A's is that their roster for posiiton players  and pitchers both has changed so much over the last few months...And every modificationhas for the most part worked...Tehy are right on the Rangers' heels.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So teil, what about my new signature? You guys did win the season series and nhsteven and jete02fan have both passes on coming up with something embarassing for me, and I haven't seen jesseyeric over here recently. Someone needs to come up with something, otherwise it's no fun betting with y'all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

passed not passes. I really miss my edit button.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Can I savor it for a while monsieur...You tell me what is fair...Would a political thing be okay, or would that  be a no-no....?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, Hf has always been objective, but how many Yankee fans have been objective about the 1978 "Sox choke"?

Yes, the Sox were 9 up in mid August and 7 up on August 30th before going 3 and 14 and 3.5 games behind, but they fought back by going 12-2 to force the Bucky Dent playoff game. The Yanks lost to Cleveland, I think 8-2 on the final day to force the playoff game.

Of course, that was not a "Yankee choke", since they went on to win the WS in '78, but that might have been the closest they have come to "choking away" a regular season lead in recent years.

I wouldn't call 2010 a choke by being up 2.5 on Sept 8th and finishing in second.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can I savor it for a while monsieur...You tell me what is fair...Would a political thing be okay, or would that  be a no-no....?

[/QUOTE]Anything political I might have to add a disclaimer to, as you know very well what my politics are. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yankees: Have never lost division lead larger than six games, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]

Very good point....

Yes, Hf has always been objective, but how many Yankee fans have been objective about the 1978 "Sox choke"?

Yes, the Sox were 9 up in mid August and 7 up on August 30th before going 3 and 14 and 3.5 games behind, but they fought back by going 12-2 to force the Bucky Dent playoff game. The Yanks lost to Cleveland, I think 8-2 on the final day to force the playoff game.

Of course, that was not a "Yankee choke", since they went on to win the WS in '78, but that might have been the closest they have come to "choking away" a regular season lead in recent years.

I wouldn't call 2010 a choke by being up 2.5 on Sept 8th and finishing in second.

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Anything political I might have to add a disclaimer to, as you know very well what my politics are. :)
    Monsieur...Choose something you think I would be okay with and run it by me..I will keep veto power....But I will not propse anything myself...It's up to you, carnie...

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]How about "He that will believe only what he can fully comprehend must have a long head or a very short creed."?

Monsieur...Choose something you think I would be okay with and run it by me..I will keep veto power....But I will not propse anything myself...It's up to you, carnie...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]]How about "He that will believe only what he can fully comprehend must have a long head or a very short creed."?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]]How about "He that will believe only what he can fully comprehend must have a long head or a very short creed."?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, monsieur...It seems a bit too generic and weak to me....Something with more kick and something more definitive...BTW...Someone said you went to Paris...Were they kidding as I assumed?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't recall a lot of fans saying the Yanks were going to "choke" away the lead, but there were several that clearly have been hoping for it by being encouraged by a loss in margin of lead.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, monsieur...It seems a bit too generic and weak to me....Something with more kick and something more definitive...BTW...Someone said you went to Paris...Were they kidding as I assumed?

[/QUOTE]Never been to Paris. All the French people I know are from New Brunswick, Nova Scotia or Northern Maine. I guess I'll wait to see what jesseyeric comes up with.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

In response to Soxchemistry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I forgot to note that NHSteven is a Yankee fan who started the Yankee collapse thread.

[/QUOTE]

Good point..I guess you and moon are right...Maybe the choke stuff was mostly anxious Yankke fans doing disaster preparedness drills...I think many Yankee fans like me will agree to be undeservedly content with a playoff position that transcends a WC elimination...If they make it to an ALDS playoff, I will be relieved...But this Yankee team would need a series of miracles to go all the  way, or even make it to the ALCS...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I predicted that they would win their series against the Rays.  Even though I was right, the division race is still close and any team could win the division.  Although, I still believe that the Yankees will win the division since they have the easiest remaining schedule. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Rangers are a flawed team. Once in the playoffs, anyone and everyone has a shot.

Last year, how many baseball people thought the Cards had a real shot at a WS ring last August or mid September?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

[QUOTE]

The Rangers are a flawed team. Once in the playoffs, anyone and everyone has a shot.

Last year, how many baseball people thought the Cards had a real shot at a WS ring last August or mid September?

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely moon...I agree...The Rangers are very flawed...I still believe the AL team will win the WS because of Strasburg's issues , but you never know...The Yanks have a shot, but right now, even after their loss to the O's, I would put my moolah on the hottest horse, the A's...The  Yanks are a real dark horse....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

The Yankees are not done....A lot of people on this site had them for a certified choke, but that looks less likely at this point.   Their schedule is favorable compared to the O's and Rays, and they now carry a 5 game lead over the suddenly hapless Rays....Jeter has been an MVP throughout this season, and has had so many critical hits the past week it is not funny...Nunez is likely to play a big role at DH, and Gardner will be a very nice pinch runner...We will see if Pettitte can make a real contribution to the rotation, but that is very iffy...Phelps is still in the wings if Pettitte gets lit up in his starts..Texas is stillthe favorite in the Al, with the A's as a solid second seed.  But the Yanks might be fourth or fifth at this point...Do not count them out....And yes, I am a Yankee fan....With my apologies to anyone who thinks this post is far too trollish.....

[/QUOTE]Your right about Andy. Yankees need him more than ever. If they survive their free fall and get into postseason play pitching will determine how far they go. CC hasn't looked very good for quite sometime now. He could turn it around and return to #1 status. If not you may be looking at a replay of one and done. I also like Texas chances of returning to the WS. Be nice to see them win it this time.

Sections
Shortcuts