Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection

Was watching the Reds and Cubs on FSNO this weekend, and Chris Welsh brought up the topic of how the Cubs got into the sitution they're in. It was, he said, getting bogged down in a series of bad contracts paid to players who underperformed, or because of injury did not live up to the money being paid out. Now when the Sox were in Chicago in June, Sunday night baseball discussed Theo's mea culpas with regard to mistakes he admitted making the last couple years he was GM in Boston. Talked about extending too far on a couple FA contracts, (Lackey, Jenks, Crawford) that didn't pan out as anticipated, and he said looking back, he sees how the Red Sox got away from what made them who they are, resulting in the current crisis. In Chicago, they've come to the same realization, and Theo is at the helm. Now the irony of this, is that Theo is now tearing down the whole Cubs organization, with the veiw of rebuilding through player development and common sense spending on low risk FA's. The trouble is, the Cubs are awful, and won't be good yet for some few years given the current state of development. My question is to ask if this is the future for the Red Sox? Theo supposedly learned things by mistakes in Boston that are giving him different strategies for rebuilding in Chicago. Will the Red Sox be required to tear down as well, and have a period of 3-5 years where the team is awful the way the Cubs have?

This has never happened to me--thankfully, by the grace of God--but the real life equivalent is dating, falling in love, and being engaged to a woman that you love dearly--only to have her tear your heart out, kick you to the curb and dump you. You run into her three months later, and while you're still putting yourself back together, she says "Ya know, I was kinda rough on you. Sorry hun. But ya know, I learned a lot from my mistakes with you, and like, RIGHT after we broke up I met a great guy, and we're gonna get married in two weeks. Wanna come to the wedding? You're more than welcomed to. Anyway, he's really awesome and I know if it wasn't for what happened with you, I'd have never met him. I'm really happy now, I'm finally in a good place. How are YOU doin'?"

We're doing fine Theo, thanks for asking. See you in the WS.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection

The second paragraph of your post looks to put a "reality show" spin on Theo's time in Boston.

But, I don't get the last bit about "we're doing fine,Theo , thanks for asking."

You seriously think this team that "tore out his heart and kicked him to the curb" is "doing fine?"

What team are you watching? I'd bet he's glad to be removed from this mess....a mess he didn't create by himself, although you can point fingers at him for a few bad moves. He did in fact make some positive moves. But, as usual people want to reflect on the bad moves.

Somehow your parallel story doesn't quite sound anything like the Red Sox/ Theo "romance" at all. You left out the part about the wicked stepmother (Lucchino).

Theo got a lot of credit for the 2004 team, when in fact Duquette laid the groundwork , formed the skeleton while Theo filled in the blanks. But, he did a reasonably good job if the team was getting value from certain players ( Beckett, Ellsburyand Matsuzaka) , they likely would be contending. The sad part is Theo had nothing to with Beckett ( although he did extend his contract) but Ellsbury and Matsuzaka could've been game changers if they didn't spend so much time on the DL....AND IF THEY BOTH LIVED UP TO THE HYPE....WHICH THEY DON'T.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection": [QUOTE]The second paragraph of your post looks to put a "reality show" spin on Theo's time in Boston. But, I don't get the last bit about "we're doing fine,Theo , thanks for asking." You seriously think this team that "tore out his heart and kicked him to the curb" is "doing fine?" What team are you watching? I'd bet he's glad to be removed from this mess....a mess he didn't create by himself, although you can point fingers at him for a few bad moves. He did in fact make some positive moves. But, as usual people want to reflect on the bad moves. Somehow your parallel story doesn't quite sound anything like the Red Sox/ Theo "romance" at all. You left out the part about the wicked stepmother (Lucchino). Theo got a lot of credit for the 2004 team, when in fact Duquette laid the groundwork , formed the skeleton while Theo filled in the blanks. But, he did a reasonably good job if the team was getting value from certain players ( Beckett, Ellsburyand Matsuzaka) , they likely would be contending. The sad part is Theo had nothing to with Beckett ( although he did extend his contract) but Ellsbury and Matsuzaka could've been game changers if they didn't spend so much time on the DL....AND IF THEY BOTH LIVED UP TO THE HYPE....WHICH THEY DON'T. Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

You missed the analogy. Theo is the one who learned from his mistakes and found someone new, we are the ones trying to clean up the mess. I thought that was clear, apparently not. With that in mind, hopefully you see I was being sarcastic Zilla. "I'm fine" what you say to "her" before you walk around the corner and pu-ke your guts out. Theo did ok until he started to act like he was running NYY, that above most things is what led to the mess.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection : my best case scenario: the cubs org. fires his inept azz. right after that it is proven he was taking kickbacks on FA signings with the SOX . THEO is convicted and sentenced to 5 years in prison where he meets a hard-edged con named SPIKE. after his release theo gets a job as a greeter at wal/mart.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]Vindictive much?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection : my best case scenario: the cubs org. fires his inept azz. right after that it is proven he was taking kickbacks on FA signings with the SOX . THEO is convicted and sentenced to 5 years in prison where he meets a hard-edged con named SPIKE. after his release theo gets a job as a greeter at wal/mart.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]
    That post says a lot about you ... and it's not flattering.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection": [QUOTE]In Response to Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection : my best case scenario: the cubs org. fires his inept azz. right after that it is proven he was taking kickbacks on FA signings with the SOX . THEO is convicted and sentenced to 5 years in prison where he meets a hard-edged con named SPIKE. after his release theo gets a job as a greeter at wal/mart. Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE] From whence he pages you four times a day to go out into the parking lot and clean out the cart corrals. Good news is you get to operate that little electric cart pusher thingy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

People like to criticize and complain about but Theo but the reality is he helped bring 2 WS trophies to New England. That's the bottom line. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection": [QUOTE]People like to criticize and complain about but Theo but the reality is he helped bring 2 WS trophies to New England. That's the bottom line.  Posted by stan17[/QUOTE] No doubt. No one is complaining about that. The trouble started after that, when he started over reaching, and tried to do too much, and did it in a way that was not the way the team got to a point of success to begin with. Then, he left town.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection : and your reaction says tons about you. no sense of humor and content with where the SOX are today. i have to admit though that the name SPIKE was pretty lame, but i would definitely luv to see theo get fired, again.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]
    I disagree on who lacks a sense of humor ... wishing misery on another person is not funny.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection : sounds like you've been there.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when I was 17. They didn't have the electric cart gatherer back then though, I had to do it by hand.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection : who knows, theo might actually like SPIKE.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

I personally would have gone with the name "Roc" if I posted that, but I digress.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection : yeh, that's a better one. i just thought of another one, NAILZ. "theo, this is your cellmate, nailz. play nice."
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

Yes, 6' 7", both arms sleeved with tatoos, (he did them himself) and head shaved except for the lightning bolt hair patterns on each side. Looks like Youkilis except way bigger and way meaner.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

mryazz is one of those guys who's both a Theo hater and a Tito hater.  The stretch of success they had was really hard on him. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection : hate's a pretty strong word. let's just say i'm happy they're both gone.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

When was your last positive post about the team-if we went back to 2007 would we find any?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection": [QUOTE]mryazz is one of those guys who's both a Theo hater and a Tito hater.  The stretch of success they had was really hard on him.  Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE] I'm not a lover or hater. I think they both had their highs and lows, but it was also probably time for them both to go. I just wish we'd have gotten more back for Theo, and I wish the Sox were better positioned to build.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo: & The Boston/Chicago Connection : i'm POSITIVE this board already has one bore named pike. you're redundant. btw, is a hfxsoxnut similar to a right wingnut? Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE] Yazz, back off on the right wingnut stuff will you? We all have our beliefs and feelings here, do we really have to come back to that every time there's a disagreement? It really makes it look like you have nothing else to say, so you go to that. I'm asking you nicely to move away from it for the sake of general peace and sanity on here.

Sections
Shortcuts