Theo Compensation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Re: Theo Compensation

Compensation for an executive? Seriously, compensation for an executive?
    Why?
    Because there's a precedent?
    Is MLB taking itself a bit too seriously?

How ludicrous. Can we move on please?

Have MLB put Chicago Cubs licensed goods in Fenway Park at no cost to the Red Sox for ten years...skip the record along.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redlon. Show redlon's posts

I kind of agree that everyone should move on, my problem is that when this all started, it was agreed that some compensation would be forthcoming. I guess just because it has taken so long, we should all just move on and forget about it. I have to believe that Larry is not happy that the RS didn't at the very least get what the WS got from the Marlins ir something close to that. Something would have been better than nothing!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Nah, it was time for Theo to go. Thankful for what he brought us, but it was time for him to go. He is one of those leaders who came in, got the job done, and is gone, he's not a long term guy. He lacks endearing qualities. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Theo Compensation:
    Nah, it was time for Theo to go. Thankful for what he brought us, but it was time for him to go. He is one of those leaders who came in, got the job done, and is gone, he's not a long term guy. He lacks endearing qualities. 
    Posted by proftom

Good point.

Much like his former superior who is well-known for sailing, Liverpool soccer and impromptu visits to radio stations?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

Once you give up any item before agreeing on a price you open your self up to getting screwed! what can the RS do now? reposess Theo? I for one would not want the SOB back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

The problem with this entire matter is that John Henry loved Theo like a son, and Theo used that as leverage against him. Theo was under contract for 2012 and requested to be allowed to leave a year early, and Henry gave his consent without consideration for any compensation due. The bottom line is that Theo was perfectly positioned to negotiate for both teams at the same time: he was GM annointing Cherington as his replacement for Sox, and GM/President for Cubbies. But how classless can a person be? Henry was literally shedding tears over the need to replace Theo, and the sad way last season ended. And this is how Theo repays him? Plays hardball with the father figure who gave him his shot as a GM? Bah! A mans character isn't revealed by what he's compelled to do, it's by what he does when he's not compelled. His free will choices are what marks him. Theo is a snivelling, selfish child who should be marked as such by all. He SHOULD have agreed to a quick resolution of this matter both for Henry's and Cherington's sake. But noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! It's all about Theo afterall.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

You are 100% correct that it makes the entire Red Sox organization look like idiots. Regardless of Henry's decision to let Theo walk without being petulant about it, he still needs to be aware of the organizations reputation in MLB. If people believe we are chumps or a team in disarray, they will treat us accordingly. It especially undermines Cherington...and that's just not fair.

It is embarassing to the the Red Sox that this was not dealt with weeks ago. I think the belief was that holding up Theo moving was more damaging to the team with all that was going on. Remember, holding up Theo, held Cherrington and the hiring of a Manager plus we had chicken-beergate going on. I remember reading somewhere that Theo wanted to wait until the Rule 5 draft. That was 2 weeks ago. Ben looks pretty incompetant here. I think Larry should call up the owner of the Cubs and go on TV saying that this is ridiculous. That would force some sort of resolution. Selig would have to step in. The Red Sox management looks like a joke here.
    Posted by redlon

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

the deal the 2 teams reached was "appropriate compensation"and to most ML teams a job promotion for an executive generally means no compensation at all and a lateral job move breaking a contract means  some kind of compensation.If the sox get anything at all they'd get more than most teams would ask for.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Theo Compensation":
     Boston Comcast Sports net reported last night this was a major concern for the FO, is only a PARTIAL agreement as compensation. both sides are still talking; this is not a done deal. Posted by J-BAY
    It better not be. No way the Sox should have let him go without compensation in place. What he's doing is ripping the Sox off, and probably enjoying it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Theo Compensation:
    Theo was leaving anyway. No way is he worth a Garza. Our "comp" is we don't have to pay Theo for 2012.
    Posted by moonslav59

he isn't worth Garza...but he was worth some players .......that was discussed....

now NO COMPENSATION?

then why tell the fans  they are waiting to address it?....were they buying time so they didn't look bad?

I never expected much in compensation. I'm not disappointed. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Theo was under contract for 2012, so whether or not it was a lateral move or a step up, the Sox are absolutely owed real compensation.  The change in title for Theo was surely a technicality done by the Cubs to make sure the lateral move rules didn't apply.  Still, the fact remains Theo was under contract and the Sox had no responsibility or duty to let him out of that.

Either 1. the Red Sox know what compensation they are receiving and are slow playing it for their own benefit, in which case it is very tactful on their part. 2. They let Theo go and now have little to no leverage in demanding compensation, in which case they basically blew it by letting Theo go before it was decided.

Either way MLB should have stepped in and settled this a long time ago and not let the teams dictate the course of events on how compensation would be settled.  The fact that MLB doesn't seem to care would seem to indicate that the compensation will be inconsequetional. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

The change in title is not a technicality. The Cubs did hire Hoyer as the GM, not Theo. Promotions do not warrant compensation. Even if said person is under contract. Look at the return on Latos and Cahill. To think a return of Garza was at all feasible is ludicrous.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

While the expectation of Garza was in fact ludicrous, you are mistaken to say no compensation is owed. It makes no difference whether the move is lateral or involves a promotion to a highger position, the compensation is for breaking an existing contract. In fact, the Red Sox should have been asked for permission to even speak with Theo about any position with the Cubbies, before any discussions took place. Anyone here think for one minute Theo would leave his position with the Red Sox BEFORE being assured he had the Cubs job? If ya do, I'd love to talk to you about some swampland I have for sale... 

The change in title is not a technicality. The Cubs did hire Hoyer as the GM, not Theo. Promotions do not warrant compensation. Even if said person is under contract. Look at the return on Latos and Cahill. To think a return of Garza was at all feasible is ludicrous.
    Posted by rkarp

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It does look like a bungled mess on the Sox part.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

Teakus is absolutely correct on this one. Compensation is owed. FO looks like they messed up. I can't believe though they let him walk like that and not have a clue. A gentleman's agreement must have been in place. Either Theo is playing games right now about it or they are just waiting to later (which doesn't make sense as they wheel and deal in this offseason...what do we get? what nobody else wanted?)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I'm not into swampland but I am looking for some oceanfront in Arizona.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Teakus is absolutely correct on this one. Compensation is owed. FO looks like they messed up. I can't believe though they let him walk like that and not have a clue. A gentleman's agreement must have been in place. Either Theo is playing games right now about it or they are just waiting to later (which doesn't make sense as they wheel and deal in this offseason...what do we get? what nobody else wanted?)
    Posted by sday4x4

Perhaps the Red Sox are being unreasonable ... or not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBfan67. Show BBfan67's posts

Bud Selig Needs to Intervene, Settle Theo Epstein Compensation Talks to Guarantee Red Sox Get Fair Deal. Selig should say enough is enough Theo you have no choice in the matter but to send the Sox Matt Garza or your top 2 prospects. 

In Response to Theo Compensation:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/15819/source-theo-wont-be-able-to-hire-from-sox-for-3-years What do you guys think about this deal? I wish we couldve atleast gotten a prospect....
    Posted by APpats21

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Really? Garza or their top 2 prospects? Naw.....but 1-2 2nd tier guys would be nice. It is the holiday season after all.

Bud Selig Needs to Intervene, Settle Theo Epstein Compensation Talks to Guarantee Red Sox Get Fair Deal . Selig should say enough is enough Theo you have no choice in the matter but to send the Sox Matt Garza or your top 2 prospects.  In Response to Theo Compensation :
    Posted by BBfan67

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from saintJ. Show saintJ's posts

the deal the 2 teams reached was "appropriate compensation"and to most ML teams a job promotion for an executive generally means no compensation at all and a lateral job move breaking a contract means  some kind of compensation.If the sox get anything at all they'd get more than most teams would ask for.
    Posted by iamme17

Theo was not promoted.  This is his first job with the cubs.

A promotion is the advancement of an employee's rank or position in an organizational hierarchy system.

If the Sox gave him the same position in Boston that he now has with the cubs, that would be a promotion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Theo Compensation:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/15819/source-theo-wont-be-able-to-hire-from-sox-for-3-years What do you guys think about this deal? I wish we couldve atleast gotten a prospect....
    Posted by APpats21

Who the heck really cares? Big f... deal . Does your life depend on it?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Theo Compensation:
    Posted by APpats21

So what! BIG f... deal..Posters on her thought that Theo sucked and now want the world for him. You guys on here are useless A... holes

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Theo Compensation : Theo was not promoted.  This is his first job with the cubs.  A promotion is the advancement of an employee's rank or position in an organizational hierarchy system. If the Sox gave him the same position in Boston that he now has with the cubs, that would be a promotion.
    Posted by saintJ

pro·mo·tion

  [pruh-moh-shuhn]  Show IPA
    noun
    advancement in rank or position.

In addition to Zak being right about semantics, you might just be regular wrong as well.  I don't know that you need to be in the same company to qualify as 'promoted'.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGlory. Show BostonGlory's posts

Maybe if John Henry and Larry Lucchino SUE Theo Epstein for breach of contract and file TAMPERING charges against the Cubbies, they'll force Bud Selig to intervene quickly and decesively and end up with better compensation than they DESERVE. Not Matt Garza or anything, but maybe a Trey McNutt or a Dave Sappelt. Ideally, they'd simply ask for and get the Cubbies 1st round pick, but MLB doesn't allow trading of draft picks unless awarded as compensation for bending the rules.

Sections
Shortcuts