Theo Compensation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

Re: Theo Compensation

There is no excuse for the disastrous Theo compensation process as handled by the Red Sox.

If we can negotiate with the Borases of the world, why would we leave ourselves in a weak negotiating position by not agreeing on compensation BEFORE Theo was allowed to leave?

The Cubs wanted him badly, he's a top tier MLB executive, yet we let him walk without the deal sealed.

I'm sure Selig's wishes to minimize compensation for execs were followed which only raises more questions about the Selig-Lucchino-Henry connection.

But to this fan, we been had and we been had big time!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Theo Compensation:
    [QUOTE]There is no excuse for the disastrous Theo compensation process as handled by the Red Sox. If we can negotiate with the Borases of the world, why would we leave ourselves in a weak negotiating position by not agreeing on compensation BEFORE Theo was allowed to leave? The Cubs wanted him badly, he's a top tier MLB executive, yet we let him walk without the deal sealed. I'm sure Selig's wishes to minimize compensation for execs were followed which only raises more questions about the Selig-Lucchino-Henry connection. But to this fan, we been had and we been had big time!
    Posted by drpjn[/QUOTE]

I agree. That and/or Theo has some leverage, which has always been my contention.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo Compensation : I agree. That and/or Theo has some leverage, which has always been my contention.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Kim, please elaborate on the Theo leverage comment.  Thanks.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo Compensation : Kim, please elaborate on the Theo leverage comment.  Thanks.
    Posted by drpjn[/QUOTE]

My leverage comment is really based on the fact that they seemed so willing to just let him go, (Yes, I understand he may have been leaving anyway and you don't want to keep him around if he's not "on your team"), but even after that it seemed they didn't want to deal with it. IMO, they were owed some considerable compensation as the Cubs were in need of someone like him. They didn't seem to want to push the issue. I just find it odd. I don't know what the leverage would be, but for some reason, it seems Theo was holding all the cards. 

FTR, they were doing the right thing at first demanding alot, which they were criticized for, and then it just fell away. There has to be a reason they completely backed off.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

To Theo, the comp issue might have seemed like the Sox want one or two minor leaguers of no consequence, we'll agree within a few weeks. The Sox probably wanted him gone once he had distanced his mind from Fenway--so it'll be easy moving the "escape" along if we don't make a big deal of it. 

Then things got more dicey, I'm not saying the fans had anything to do with it, but perhaps LL was not thinking someone more than McNutt--who then became an issue---"one of our best two or three prospects in a system that was allowed to break down." The fans became more involved and kept the issue alive.

Then Selig was going to get involved, then it was after the Winter Meetings, then it was after the Rule 5, perhaps now it's after we get Prince figured out, then it will be recovery from losing Darvish and Prince then the Brewers swoop in and have taken Rizzo from the Padres...

It will probably be Opening Day after we have our Roster established. Maybe the fans want an end more than LL and Ben want an end to it--meanwhile  Boy Thunder and Boy Thunder Jr., Jed, are having a joke about the umbilical cord still being attached between LL and the Twin Theo's. We've got the Sox in our hip pocket and Ben is too busy with no money to work with, working the phones for trades, LL is thinking ST, JH is thinking Liverpool, Tom is arranging a new TV series and the fans have comp in mind--Garza at a minimum.

As BB would say "It is what it is." "It will end when it ends."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I think that it is a done deal and Garza is involved that is why there is no sense of urgency here. Maybe they are waiting to put the Yankees in a position where they are unable to do anything to counter the move for pitching.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Boston Comcast Sports net reported last night this was a major concern for the FO, is only a PARTIAL agreement as compensation. both sides are still talking; this is not a done deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

JUST ABOUT HOW I THOUGHT IT WOULD COME OUT.....  REALLY, THIS WAS A TYPICAL MASSACHUSETTS LIBERAL NO-FAULT DIVORCE !!!!  LUCCIANO's AND BEN NEED TO GET ON WITH "TRANSFORMING" THAT ROSTER !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

there better be compensation.............FO better be pushing this to the forefront.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

and if this issue NEEDS RESOLVING....why is Theo able to wheel and deal all sorts of players now? .....he claimed they were empty of good value players that he could give up without hurting the franchise....but rumors of dealings with the Cubs have been floated out there with other teams. This whole situation is corrupt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Theo Compensation:
    [QUOTE]http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/15819/source-theo-wont-be-able-to-hire-from-sox-for-3-years What do you guys think about this deal? I wish we couldve atleast gotten a prospect....
    Posted by APpats21[/QUOTE]

Dont think it is a partial compensation deal.  Cuz Theo just hired two scouts from the Red Sox organization which I think it was part of the old agreement between two clubs.  Then this new agreement just came up, and now Theo cannot any longer pull more people out of the Red Sox organization.

So therefore, the compensation deal is still on the table between two clubs.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo Compensation : My leverage comment is really based on the fact that they seemed so willing to just let him go, (Yes, I understand he may have been leaving anyway and you don't want to keep him around if he's not "on your team"), but even after that it seemed they didn't want to deal with it. IMO, they were owed some considerable compensation as the Cubs were in need of someone like him. They didn't seem to want to push the issue. I just find it odd. I don't know what the leverage would be, but for some reason, it seems Theo was holding all the cards.  FTR, they were doing the right thing at first demanding alot, which they were criticized for, and then it just fell away. There has to be a reason they completely backed off.

Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your insight and explanation, Kim.  We'll probably never know the entire story....meanwhile, we can continue scratching our heads.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Theo was leaving anyway.

No way is he worth a Garza.

Our "comp" is we don't have to pay Theo for 2012.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

The compensation for Theo was not ever going to help or hurt the current Sox. At this point, it is time to continue moving forward like Bill-006 says.

I would love it if AL34 were right. Garza would be a great fit, but at what cost to the Sox. They have already undergone tremendous change.

I can't wait for the rest to unfold for this new team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

[QUOTE]Theo was leaving anyway. No way is he worth a Garza. Our "comp" is we don't have to pay Theo for 2012.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

he isn't worth Garza...but he was worth some players .......that was discussed....

now NO COMPENSATION?

then why tell the fans  they are waiting to address it?....were they buying time so they didn't look bad?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Brett Jackson is the only Cubs prospect worth having, and the first Cubs move was to pick up a left-handed OF in Dejesus.  Maybe the Sox are intentionally delaying the transaction so clubs don't know they don't have room for Reddick anymore.  He was already offered in one of the rumors (Bailey?)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Moon said it well, we don't have to pay for Theo in 2012....Also, we don't have to worry about getting handcuffed any worse than we already are by his overpaid contracts....

Just get someone that we can add to a package and get some pitching...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

At this point and with the agreement that CHicago cannot touch Boston staff for three years, at best, Boston gets two low level prospects. here was no way Sox were ever getting Garza or anyone of that calibur, ML ready or prospect.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Theo Compensation : he isn't worth Garza...but he was worth some players .......that was discussed.... now NO COMPENSATION? then why tell the fans  they are waiting to address it?....were they buying time so they didn't look bad?
    Posted by sday4x4[/QUOTE]

It kind of depends on what Theo's status was.  If we really wanted him, we'd have just said no.  I don't think Larry had any interest in retaining Theo.  we were at the point where we were going to extend Theo, or get rid of him.  I think some people in here thought Christmas was coming early.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Theo is worth significant compensation....in a lateral move.  The "hard part" is that this was not a lateral move.  There has to be significant compensation as they publically agreed that there would be.  I say Garza for a/few less prospects is enough compensation(for example if 4 prospects were agreed to without considering comp, then negotiate which of the 4 are pulled back out of the deal.  Might be the headliner, or 2 of the lesser prospects as an example)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redlon. Show redlon's posts

It is embarassing to the the Red Sox that this was not dealt with weeks ago. I think the belief was that holding up Theo moving was more damaging to the team with all that was going on. Remember, holding up Theo, held Cherrington and the hiring of a Manager plus we had chicken-beergate going on. I remember reading somewhere that Theo wanted to wait until the Rule 5 draft. That was 2 weeks ago. Ben looks pretty incompetant here. I think Larry should call up the owner of the Cubs and go on TV saying that this is ridiculous. That would force some sort of resolution. Selig would have to step in. The Red Sox management looks like a joke here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Boston Globe beat reporter Peter Abraham is pessimistic:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/12/two_months_late.html?comments=all#readerComm

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redlon. Show redlon's posts

Read today that Marshall was being dealt to Reds. Can't understand why Sox are not in on this once again as part of compensation.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

This thing was gonna end this way the day the Sox said "we'll deal it later".  That essentially assigned a low value to Theo.  They traded him for the good old "Player to be named later"...that seldom yeilds anything good.

Once he left any chance of decent comp. went with him.