Theo Epstein didn't win Boston their first World Series in 86 yrs. the wild card did!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murphylo. Show murphylo's posts

Theo Epstein didn't win Boston their first World Series in 86 yrs. the wild card did!

Theo can take all the credit he wants but the fact is if there had always been a wild card the Sox may have won a few more championships!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Theo Epstein didn't win Boston their first World Series in 86 yrs. the wild card did!

In Response to Theo Epstein didn't win Boston their first World Series in 86 yrs. the wild card did!:
    [QUOTE]Theo can take all the credit he wants but the fact is if there had always been a wild card the Sox may have won a few more championships!
    Posted by murphylo[/QUOTE]

ok ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

Re: Theo Epstein didn't win Boston their first World Series in 86 yrs. the wild card did!

In Response to Theo Epstein didn't win Boston their first World Series in 86 yrs. the wild card did!:
    [QUOTE]Theo can take all the credit he wants but the fact is if there had always been a wild card the Sox may have won a few more championships!

I like where you're going with this!
    Plus the fact that the 2004 Red Sox team that clinched that wildcard and went on to the World Series was stocked with players who delivered in the clutch that Epstein had NOTHING to do with.

Jackie MacMullen predicted before the 04 postseason started that Derek Lowe would pitch the Red Sox to deciding game victories all the way to the World Series. She was right.

Theo ran Derek Lowe out of town as soon as he could.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

OK

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Man....have we forgotten Sox History before Theo and the Ownership group....this is the same Sox who lost all-star players because they forgot to mail them contracts...the same sox who had teams who wouldnt even speak to each other.....the same Sox who for years tried to win by importing RH sluggers and completely ignored pitching depth.....the same Sox who traded Babe Ruth for God sake.....did Theo, the Owners and Tito make mistakes in the last 8 years ....of course they did....every team in Baseball has, but only one team has 2 WS titles over that span......and we cry because we dont have 4 or 5?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from murphylo. Show murphylo's posts

I haven't forgotten Red Sox history, I have been a fan for a long time!  What I am saying is there wouldn't have been any curse if there had been a wild card.  1978 still burns me, that game doesn't happen with a wild card. How many years did we come so close only to lose to the Yankees?  We were the runners up a lot of years, that was our curse!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

While I would respect a healthy debate on why Theo has not helped the Red Sox....this point is not valid because the sox won the East in 2007

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

OK and thanks for your opinion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Who gives a flying Fulke how they got into the playoffs, THEY WON...and beat the AL East champions along the way!

So let's now discount every wold card WS series champion just because they wouldn't have won if there was no wild card...

...on top of this, back when I was a kid, there was one winner in the AL and one winner in the NL and they went from regular season to the World Series...so now let's also discount every division winner that did not have the best record in the league as world series champs as well.

What a crock of you know what!! As the game grows we all must grow...except Law of course.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Soxdog67 is the ONLY Forum regular who still falls for and responds to the Law / OurMan troll routine. Everyone else has become aware that of it. It takes time for some people. Patience.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: Theo Epstein didn't win Boston their first World Series in 86 yrs. the wild card did!:
    [QUOTE]Soxdog67 is the ONLY Forum regular who still falls for and responds to the Law / OurMan troll routine. Everyone else has become aware that of it. It takes time for some people. Patience.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Gee Ute is that true...I am the only one?? Me thinks you should check again...is murphylo really Law too?? I guess you're right I can't keep up with all the aliases!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

But the fact IS ...

there has not always been one.  But now there IS one.  Has been long enough that when it started, my younger son was a toddler ... and now he's in his mid 20's.  Should I DENY THAT HE"S BEEN ALIVE FOR 20 plus years?  I wonder what else I can deny - it is surely a healthy habit....

In the reality that baseball DOES have a  wild card, you must needs give Theo some credit.  He had no hand in the decision to create the wild card ... he was a kindergartener or something at the time.  He only managed, generally, AFTR the fact.  Why does that discredit him?  To not give him or other GMs credit for their teams winning the WS is disengenuous, pure and simple.

It strikes a mean pose.  It says, after the fact, that "you may have played by the rules and succeeded, but I don't want to admit those were the rules.  And since I don't accept the rules - the same rules YOU (Theo) DID, officially professionally and successfully - I won't give you credit for reaching the highest rung.  That is really mean.  It is like working for a company all your life and they say, after you retire, "Oh, BTW, that pension you worked for?  Nah.  Forget it."

Mean.  Nasty.  Out of order.

The Wild Card has produced a fair number of WS winners ...three others besides the Sox, the Marlins twice and the Angels.  The Angels, Marlins and Sox made it three straight Wild Card teams to win the WS.

Ask the NYucks if losing to the Marlins was any less of a loss because they were Wild Cards ... I get the feeling losing to the Wild Card is just as bad a feeling as not.

If you follow this line of thinking far enough ....

We wouldn't have had countless .300+ hitters, because the mound was lowered.

We wouldn't have had another series of .300+ hitters because they liven the ball.

We really haven't played MLB sine the DH was started.  NL'rs will tell you that right off the bat.

So the loss of all those great Manny/Papi seasons would surely have hurt the Sox....

If they had not put up lights, baseball would only be played until dusk.

If they had not made politically correct standards dealing with it,  players could still smoke and drink beer in the dug outs.

If ... your dad didn't have a certain gleam in his eye ....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: Theo Epstein didn't win Boston their first World Series in 86 yrs. the wild card did!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Theo Epstein didn't win Boston their first World Series in 86 yrs. the wild card did! : I like where you're going with this! Plus the fact that the 2004 Red Sox team that clinched that wildcard and went on to the World Series was stocked with players who delivered in the clutch that Epstein had NOTHING to do with. Jackie MacMullen predicted before the 04 postseason started that Derek Lowe would pitch the Red Sox to deciding game victories all the way to the World Series. She was right. Theo ran Derek Lowe out of town as soon as he could.
    Posted by OurMan[/QUOTE]

Your views are refreshing and the forum has sorely missed your all-sunshine posts. Please don't get banned for the 80th time, stay awhile, and continue to bless us with your opinions.

If we could clone you we would, you're that wonderful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from eunichaclub. Show eunichaclub's posts

no negative thoughts allowed here

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Man....have we forgotten Sox History before Theo and the Ownership group....this is the same Sox who lost all-star players because they forgot to mail them contracts...the same sox who had teams who wouldnt even speak to each other.....the same Sox who for years tried to win by importing RH sluggers and completely ignored pitching depth.....the same Sox who traded Babe Ruth for God sake.....did Theo, the Owners and Tito make mistakes in the last 8 years ....of course they did....every team in Baseball has, but only one team has 2 WS titles over that span......and we cry because we dont have 4 or 5?  
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Tom,

Excellent post with the crown jewel right at the end!

I cannot fathom this need to deprive credit to OUR team ...

After all the sourness, sadness and shock of things going up in smoke at the last,

WHY AREN'T THESE GUYS CELEBRATING THE GOOD FORTUNE instead of tearing it down.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Regardless of how you may view Theo's performance here over the years, none can argue with this simple point. It is VERY likely we'd have one at least a handful more WS titles had we made the post season more due to the wildcard. Interesting observation Murph.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]While I would respect a healthy debate on why Theo has not helped the Red Sox....this point is not valid because the sox won the East in 2007
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]
    True, but never let facts stand in the way of a good rant.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Didn't the Yankees make it to the World Series many times because there were only eight teams in the American League back in those days? Pity the teams that won more than 95 games only to come in second to the Yankees.