theo get a good starter or you will pay

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

theo get a good starter or you will pay

after andrew millers start last nite that just shows you he is not going to
    help the sox much longer.he gets worse with every start and i do not think
    the sox can count on buch to come back and be himself yet.
    the sox do not need another bat they need a solid starter.you bet your
    life the yanks will not sit around. they will improve the team you can count
    on it.go get a solid starter sox there is a long way to go.if you dont the
    team will pay in the long run.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: theo get a good starter or you will pay

Here is my concern...

Buch may not be back for another 4 weeks.  In that time, Miller (or someone) will likely have 4, maybe 5 starts.  Do you trade important prospects just to cover those 4 or 5 starts? 

Miller should only get another chance or two, but the Sox could start Aceves, or Weiland if Miller cannot improve over his next start or two.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

They should bring up Millwood, veteran, knows how to pitch. Frankly I can't believe that he hasn't been up already.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

If I am not mistaken, bringing up Millwood would be difficult.  He is not on the 40-man roster. 

In an ideal situation, it would make sense to bring up Millwood and demote Miller for the time being, but if you bring Millwood up to replace Miller, you lose Miller.  I'd still rather have Miller than Millwood on my roster.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Nick Cafardo and Peter Abraham both said the same thing in the Globe today--the Sox need a fifth starter to replace Miller. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: theo get a good starter or you will pay:
    If I am not mistaken, bringing up Millwood would be difficult.  He is not on the 40-man roster.  In an ideal situation, it would make sense to bring up Millwood and demote Miller for the time being, but if you bring Millwood up to replace Miller, you lose Miller.  I'd still rather have Miller than Millwood on my roster.
    Posted by parhunter1

Out of all the possible starters who might be available I would think the Sox would choose one of these three who may not require giving up as much for.

Karoda
    Bedard
    Harden

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

They've basically been doing it with just Beckett

Beckett - YES

Lester - DL

Buck - DL

Lackey - Not Good

Dice K - Done

That ain't gonna cut it in the post season assuming we make it there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: theo get a good starter or you will pay : Out of all the possible starters who might be available I would think the Sox would choose one of these three who may not require giving up as much for. Karoda Bedard Harden
    Posted by craze4sox
    IMO, Kuroda would be the best choice.  In several games I've seen him pitch for the Dodgers, he knows what he's doing, has good enough stuff, and even in the AL East is likely to keep his team in the game. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: theo get a good starter or you will pay : IMO, Kuroda would be the best choice.  In several games I've seen him pitch for the Dodgers, he knows what he's doing, has good enough stuff, and even in the AL East is likely to keep his team in the game. 
    Posted by expitch

I agree expitch, Karoda or Bedard have good command of there pitches.  Harden who I have always liked simply spends too much time on the DL. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Nick Cafardo and Peter Abraham both said the same thing in the Globe today--the Sox need a fifth starter to replace Miller. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

I agree with them.  Miller has gotten worse with every game that he pitches.  Just not sure who is available and who they have to give up to get them. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think Miller should be sent down to the minors to get some work out of the pen to see if he could help us there go with:

Beckett
    Lester
    Wakefield until Buck comes back
    New Acquisition
    Lackey

We've got plenty of games left with NY and TB and 4 game set on the road in TX plus the playoffs (hopefully) so to keep Weiland and Miller in there for the long haul could prove fatal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: theo get a good starter or you will pay : and Bedard doesnt? he hasnt pitched more than 90 innings in 4 years.
    Posted by mckehct

Youre right, he has been on the DL a lot

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from molten37. Show molten37's posts

I agree with most, they need to fill the void until Buch gets back, I just don't want to see them overpay for someone. I like Bedard, but feel as if Seattle is looking for too much, and he tends to get hurt too much lately. If your going to get Bedard, you might as well go to Oakland and ask for Rich Harden. I think Harden would bring more to the table, and be less expensive. They need an innings eater at this point to take the pressure off of Aceves, and Albers who both have done a good job. The biggest thing is keeping the back end fresh for September and hopefully October.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

The title is wrong.  It should be 'Theo get a good starter AND you will PAY'.  Any trade will be OVERPAYING by the Sox.  That's how it works at the deadline.  Its really odd how some feel like Boston HAS to do something.  Are they not in first place in spite of their injuries thus far?

The best offense in the majors can cover some of the questionable pitching that currently affects 60% of the starters.  The Sox don't need to keep up their current win rate to reach the post season.  They can *gasp* play a little worse and still make it just fine.

They still have the potential of Buchholz and potential improvement from Lackey.  Lackey has been a better second half pitcher historically.  They can *survive* with Miller/Wake/whomever.

If the Yanks get a frontline guy, good for them.  Don't forget that it will be very, very costly for them if they manage it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Seems like slee stack and I are on the same page here.  The Sox are winning 2 out of every three games without Buchholz and Lester, and with those bums Lackey and Wakefield, Miller and Weiland.  Lester is now back.  And in four or five trips around the rotation Buchholz will be back.  

I ask again, how much do you willing to give up to cover those 4 or 5 starts? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to theo get a good starter or you will pay:
    after andrew millers start last nite that just shows you he is not going to help the sox much longer.he gets worse with every start and i do not think the sox can count on buch to come back and be himself yet. the sox do not need another bat they need a solid starter.you bet your life the yanks will not sit around. they will improve the team you can count on it.go get a solid starter sox there is a long way to go.if you dont the team will pay in the long run.
    Posted by soxyjim

Absolutely agree.  There is no way we can trust Buckholtz anymore and relying on guys like Miller from Pawtucket has gotten old.  Twice in a week, Miller and Wakefield starts, the Sox bats had to come to the rescue.  Boston can not rely on scoring a dozen runs every nite. 

Incidentally is Lowry done for the year?!  Having Navarro has the utility infielder is pitiful.  It's bad enough we have Scutaro and no one other than Reddick for right field.  Seriousl moves have to be made at the trading deadline. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

Seems like slee stack and I are on the same page here.  The Sox are winning 2 out of every three games without Buchholz and Lester, and with those bums Lackey and Wakefield, Miller and Weiland.  Lester is now back.  And in four or five trips around the rotation Buchholz will be back.   I ask again, how much do you willing to give up to cover those 4 or 5 starts? 
    Posted by parhunter1

You aren't just covering 4-5 starts...the sox are down 2 starters right now.  Dice and Buchholz.  Any aquisition is not going to be to cover Buchholz it would be to repalce Dice K.  As it stands now Wake, Miller, or Weiland would still have to be the 5th starter...going into the postseason the rotation (if healthy) would be Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, and ???  Lackey? Wake or Miller...I hope not??  They need a solid 4th starter.

Having said that, I wouldn't want them to empty the farm for the likes of Bedard or Harden...so holding might be the right move.  But the reality is they need a long-term replacement and not just someone to cover 4-5 starts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

So you want to replace Wakefield in the rotation?  That is a different argument. 

If the Sox could land F Hernandez or U Jimenez without giving up their top three prospects (Lavarnway, Iglesias and Middlebrooks, IMO because of the positions they play and the need of the big club over the next 2 - 4 years), then they would be really upgrading their #4 or #5 spot in the rotation. 

But if you are talking about a Bedard, or Harden, or Kuroda, I would pause.  The first two are so fragile (and Bedard is only a rental).  Kuroda may not prove much better than Wake, at all.  Wake has had a few rough outings of late, but he is just as capable of pitching a gem next time out as any of those guys, and he is good for 7 innings, no problemo.  It also looks as though his injury risk is quite low in comparison.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

So you want to replace Wakefield in the rotation?  That is a different argument.  If the Sox could land F Hernandez or U Jimenez without giving up their top three prospects (Lavarnway, Iglesias and Middlebrooks, IMO because of the positions they play and the need of the big club over the next 2 - 4 years), then they would be really upgrading their #4 or #5 spot in the rotation.  But if you are talking about a Bedard, or Harden, or Kuroda, I would pause.  The first two are so fragile (and Bedard is only a rental).  Kuroda may not prove much better than Wake, at all.  Wake has had a few rough outings of late, but he is just as capable of pitching a gem next time out as any of those guys, and he is good for 7 innings, no problemo.  It also looks as though his injury risk is quite low in comparison.
    Posted by parhunter1

It is very possible that Kuroda would add significant value to the RS rotation, although, admittedly, there is no guarantee, as with any player. But his ERA is very solid, and I dont put much stock in W/L numbers, particularly with all of the torubles the Dodgers have been having.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

in 13 starts wake has gone 7 innings 4 times.  that's not great.  his era in the last month has risen nearly a run.  I've always been a wake fan, but to depend on him as 4 or 5 is tough.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandylolead. Show sandylolead's posts

They need to get Paul Maholmn out of Pittsburg. The kid pitches great and always gets Zero run support. I don't think he would be too expensive.. That's a big sleeper there.

Go Sox

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

They need to get Paul Maholmn out of Pittsburg. The kid pitches great and always gets Zero run support. I don't think he would be too expensive.. That's a big sleeper there. Go Sox
    Posted by sandylolead

Why would the Pirates, who are in a playoff race, want to give him up?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandylolead. Show sandylolead's posts

In Response to Re: theo get a good starter or you will pay : Why would the Pirates, who are in a playoff race, want to give him up?
    Posted by fizsh

Just find something that they need and get the pitcher. Simple as that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: theo get a good starter or you will pay : Out of all the possible starters who might be available I would think the Sox would choose one of these three who may not require giving up as much for. Karoda Bedard Harden
    Posted by craze4sox

I can think of a much better starter than those three who can be had for even less.  The problem with him is the salary, however.

But I would not be surpised if Carlos Zambrano could not be had for Lars Anderson and Stolmy Pimental, because 1) he has a ridicuslously overblown reputation 2) he has about $26mill left on his deal that runs through next season.

Offer the Cubs Anderson, Pimental and Bobby Jenks for Zambrano, and you have a better starter option than those 3 guys named.  Also, the Sox clear two 40-man roster spots for next year and by sending Jenks, the team covers about 1/4 of Zambrano's salary...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The only entity that'll take Jenks is Weight Watchers.

Sections
Shortcuts