THEO going from BAD to BARD!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: THEO going from BAD to BARD!

In response to ImagydSportsForTwitter's comment:

nothin like bring new ideas to the cubs.. sure they were hoping for a coup with ells or having a les walking in with more.. nope, not theo.. here comes BARD! obviously its a low cost move with potential upside for them.. still, methinks its a warning to the sox with guys like ells.. theo wants his boys back, has the $ and opportunities to give!

Planet Earth to InarticulateSportsForTwits:

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Bard is the typical 'low risk and high reward' that every team takes a chance on during the off season.  It is just that the Cubs are taking their gamble now because Bard was available now.

A change of scenery may help him, who knows?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

nothin like bringing new ideas to the cubs.. sure they were hoping for a coup with ells or having a les walking in with more.. nope, not theo.. here comes BARD! obviously its a low cost move with potential upside for them.. still, methinks its a warning to the sox with guys like ells.. theo wants his boys back, has the $ and opportunities to give!

Methinks that you have just stopped thinking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I'm just wondering how many more years it will be before Theo's program building efforts start bearing some fruit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I hope it works out for both Bard & Theo .......  You have to wonder, how can you go from sooooo good to soooo bad ???   Didn't help, whe the Red Sox let him think that he could switch over to a starter ("for the $$$$") without skipping a beat........  Add in the leadership of BOBBY V., and there ya go !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

I hope it works out for both Bard & Theo .......  You have to wonder, how can you go from sooooo good to soooo bad ???   Didn't help, whe the Red Sox let him think that he could switch over to a starter ("for the $$$$") without skipping a beat........  Add in the leadership of BOBBY V., and there ya go !!!

We need to stop with the 'starting hurt Bard forever' garbage!  Bard was a starter in High Shchool and at College.  He started some in the minors as well.  Starting is something that he always did and he has ALWAYS maintained that he wants to be a starter.  The reason why he was a reliever with us was to fill a need.  PLENTY of pitchers have gone from starters to reliever and back to starters again just fine.  Heck...teams do it in the playoff EVERY YEAR!!  Bard has the best coaches in the world at his disposal and makes a lot of money to focus on ONE THING....PITCHING!

The issue is with the space between his ears people....it's not with being converted to a starter for a 3 month span....to think otherwise is simply silly.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

We need to stop with the 'starting hurt Bard forever' garbage!  Bard was a starter in High Shchool and at College.  He started some in the minors as well.  Starting is something that he always did and he has ALWAYS maintained that he wants to be a starter.  The reason why he was a reliever with us was to fill a need.  PLENTY of pitchers have gone from starters to reliever and back to starters again just fine.  Heck...teams do it in the playoff EVERY YEAR!!  Bard has the best coaches in the world at his disposal and makes a lot of money to focus on ONE THING....PITCHING!

The issue is with the space between his ears people....it's not with being converted to a starter for a 3 month span....to think otherwise is simply silly.

Bard's problem may be betwen his ears and it may have been him pushing to be a starter, but to not think that the problem between his ears was in large part caused by him trying to change the way he pitches to be a starter and the rsulting loss in confidence when it didnt work is shortsighted......and could you tell me one of these many pitchers who wnet from being a starter to a successful full time reliever for a number of years ( not a few playoff appearances) and back to a succesful starter? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

On a Cubs board somewhere, Law is having a field day with this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

[QUOTE]

Bard's problem may be betwen his ears and it may have been him pushing to be a starter, but to not think that the problem between his ears was in large part caused by him trying to change the way he pitches to be a starter and the rsulting loss in confidence when it didnt work is shortsighted......and could you tell me one of these many pitchers who wnet from being a starter to a successful full time reliever for a number of years ( not a few playoff appearances) and back to a succesful starter? 

[/QUOTE]

Derek Lowe, John Smoltz, Ryan Dempster etc....

I know you want to keep blaming everything on him being converted to a starter...but he had issues before the 'great conversion' and actually was not HORRIBLE as a sstarter untill the last 3 starts.  His stock also dropped in the draft because he had confidence issues in college and H.S.  Again....this is an issue between the ears...not the 'Great Conversion".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

Derek Lowe, John Smoltz, Ryan Dempster etc....

I know you want to keep blaming everything on him being converted to a starter...but he had issues before the 'great conversion' and actually was not HORRIBLE as a sstarter untill the last 3 starts.  His stock also dropped in the draft because he had confidence issues in college and H.S.  Again....this is an issue between the ears...not the 'Great Conversion".

i will give you Lowe and Dempster, Smoltz when back to starting at 38 and already a HOF....he was in a no pressure situation.
    I am definitely not blaming everything on the Starter experiment....as I said, it is clearly a between the ears issue...and I know he had this issue in the minors before becoming a successful reliever....which is even another reason why they shouldnt have tried it....and I agree that once they did try it, they should have stuck with it.....giving up on it and sending him to the Minors just made it worse.....Bard started 22 games when he first joined the ORg in 2007 and was horrendous.....they then converted him to a Reliever and in 2008 and 2009 he was dominant in A, AA and AAA ball...ERAS of around 1.50....so by the time they tried starting him again in 2012 it had been 5 years since his last start with no reason for them to think he would be successful at it. As to him having issues the previous year, In August of 2011 he set a Club record for Consecutive scoreless releif appearances....In September 2011, he had 4 very bad outings out of 11 and showed some command issues....( 9 walks in about 11 innings of work), but nothing like what later developed....If a guys starts having control issues to the level Bard has.....there is usually a trigger.....perhaps beaning a batter....perhaps an injury...a change in their delivery.....but for Bard the only logical trigger you can point to is the Starter experiment

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

perhaps theo will get bard a psychologist or perhaps find out its somehow "substance"-related... just cant believe a guy can fall off the rails that quickly for this long without a tommy john type issue or something substance-inducing!

Its between his ears. Bard has no arm issues and He is an openly religious person who lives a clean life. Once again, if you knew more about the game/player, you would see a lot of cases like this. Its not always drugs or injury.

Craig Hanson was a #1 pick by the Sox. Some say they rushed him, but like Bard, it was all between that kids ears too.

The Sox had team Psychologist and former pitcher Bob Tewksbury talking with Bard as well as guys like Pedro and all the great pitching coaches and Managers we have throughout the system.

Hopefully Bard can get out of his own way and perform like he did just 2 years ago. I wish him the best of luck. Theo has the extra 1.5-2M to take a chance on Bard. Also, if Bard plays less than a certain amount of games in MLB he can be eligible for arbitration again. He can actually be arb eligible for 6 years if he doesnt accumulate enough games in MLB over a calender year, so Theo could have bard for more than the his usual amount of arb years.